PM statement at Number 10

Laurie61

• Administrators

Wait, there's a plan?

Conspiracy! They are the only people with a plan.

But really, no matter what side of the picket line fence, this is all bad for an effective operational democracy. Unless our democracy is a very one sided controlling party. Now it might be we've all drifted that way and Apathy is the biggest threat. Perhaps the short sharp schedule will help. 

On paper I should be a blue, or blue green tree, where I live is/was a strong labour seat and voted to leave - just. I don't vote for either of the 'main' parties... it's not in my nature to go mainstream ;) Don't worry it's not purple either :wall:.  So in a way my vote is always wasted in the general outcome.

Well hopefully many can make it to a polling station and ensure the right mp's are in place to properly run a government that despite all our differences can make the uk great again...

and to think in January we were worried what damage trump can do in 4 years... see you in 5. That said if they actually spent time in parliament talking over gesturing they'd get 2x more stuff done... it's criminal and hard to watch, worse than primary school playground sweet wars.

Right off to sort my Irish passport. Slainte

I am tempted to rent a cottage in scotland for a year and go off grid...slight income & briskoda operational challenges, but the seed is sown and growing. Around the World ticket might be handy too, but i fear catching up with events in airports. Perhaps a sailboat...

• Like 2

In Australia, every vote counts because, apart from being mandatory to vote, you have the a preferential system rather than a potential situation of someone with 34%, in a three cornered contest, being elected.

It means that if you choose the 'party ticket' your second and third etc preference is taken into account.....or you can mark the ticket as you like.

We don't end up with a 'minority' government being elected either.

Just applied for a postal vote as there is a good chance I will be working away on the 8th of June.

8 hours ago, ColinD said:

On paper I should be a blue, or blue green tree, where I live is/was a strong labour seat and voted to leave - just. I don't vote for either of the 'main' parties... it's not in my nature to go mainstream ;) Don't worry it's not purple either :wall:.  So in a way my vote is always wasted in the general outcome.

Please name three policies that the MP for your constituency has proposed?

And you're not allowed to Google it.

This is the problem with "democracy" in the UK, everyone treats elections as a Westminster popularity contest.

Your local MP might be proposing to bulldoze your village and install an airport and yet you'll still get the sweaty masses proclaiming "my grandfather voted :abour, my dad voted Labour and so I'm voting Labour".

A minimum IQ of 100 plus a record of tax contributions should be required to be eligible to vote.

1 hour ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

This is the problem with "democracy" in the UK, everyone treats elections as a Westminster popularity contest.

Your local MP might be proposing to bulldoze your village and install an airport and yet you'll still get the sweaty masses proclaiming "my grandfather voted :abour, my dad voted Labour and so I'm voting Labour".

A minimum IQ of 100 plus a record of tax contributions should be required to be eligible to vote.

Brilliant. So disenfranchise those who do not work as they look after children, those who are unable to work due to illness/disability, those in full time university education and so on........all highly discriminatory and undemocratic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

My mp has promised to continue to campaign for the opening of a new railway station in the constituency.  It opened last month...

To be fair I think she was caught on the hop by the election announcement and panicked and resent a 2015 email. Yes she is a conservative MP.

Jeremy Corbyn says Labour will introduce four new bank holidays 'to give workers the break they deserve'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-labour-bank-holidays-general-election-2017-a7697296.html

in a strong counter attack, UKIP have promised five bank holidays. Corbyn quickly hit back and promised to reintroduce the three day week and flying pickets (bring your own donkey jacket).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, moley said:

If Corbyn wins the election the country will be on one long holiday.

But that's already the case for the shed loads of "Left-behinds,life-time benefit claimants and pre-mature retirees". Only change might me for some of the JAMs and high income earners - at least the JAMs might do better on the social benefits side.

The only people that are likely to do well out of Brexit will be the people that are already doing well  from the already chaotic state of the market  ("Which will fix everything") economy  i.e. the bankers, the lawyers, excess profiteers, the money launderers,  the pimps, drug-dealers, people traffickers, 18-25 club operators/owners, the buy-to-let landlords and the property developers - not much left after this bunch of "Stakeholders" have lunched for anyone else.

And from what "Two-Brains" was saying on R4 recently, pensioners are in for a good kicking on the "Triple lock", even though it was stated that more than 50% of UK pensioners are on incomes less than the Income Tax Personal Allowance (£11,500 ?) - Tory PR infers that all pensioners are on incomes near the average wage (£33,000).

So, what the Tories have announced so far is that domestic consumer demand is set to take a big hit from Brexit (Already happening with prices) and the continued effect of the continued austerity program on public expenditure and that the taxpayer will still have to fork out for the same level of "Foreign aid" aka bacshish in order to secure all these new near and far east trade deals that the Brexiteers want and with no guarentee any amount of the income stream from these deals will come back to this country for spending or taxation i.e. Sir Phil Green mode.

I'm encouraged.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

21 hours ago, kevberlin said:

Brilliant. So disenfranchise those who do not work as they look after children, those who are unable to work due to illness/disability, those in full time university education and so on........all highly discriminatory and undemocratic.

No.

As long as they have some history of contributing to the pot (and mums looking after children will presumably have a record prior to being a mum) then they can vote.

But why should 22 year olds with four kids by three different fathers and who've never done a day's work in their life get to vote?

This is the point you snowflakes are missing; there's a pot of money, as long as the amount of money that people take from the pot exceeds the amount that the rest of us are putting in, everything falls apart.

And you end up with a situation where I'm told I have to work an extra two years (currently) beyond 65 to secure my pension because there isn't enough money in the system.......excuse me, 49 years paying in (16 - 65).....where's my money gone?

You all know the answer to that.......but we're not allowed to talk about it, are we?

2 minutes ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

No.

As long as they have some history of contributing to the pot (and mums looking after children will presumably have a record prior to being a mum) then they can vote.

But why should 22 year olds with four kids by three different fathers and who've never done a day's work in their life get to vote?

This is the point you snowflakes are missing; there's a pot of money, as long as the amount of money that people take from the pot exceeds the amount that the rest of us are putting in, everything falls apart.

And you end up with a situation where I'm told I have to work an extra two years (currently) beyond 65 to secure my pension because there isn't enough money in the system.......excuse me, 49 years paying in (16 - 65).....where's my money gone?

You all know the answer to that.......but we're not allowed to talk about it, are we?

Ahhhh I get it. You only want to give the vote to people like you who can spunk a grand backing the loser, right. You don't want democracy at all, do you?

skodaVRS1963,

are you a contributor to the UK economy / treasury putting more in than you have had out of the system so far and you will get in your life.

Paying at the higher tax rates, a single working person or couple with no Tax / Child Tax Credits or benefits or allowances and worthy of having a vote?

PS

In the Scottish Local Council Elections coming up 16 & 17 year old's get a vote, like they did in the Holyrood Elections & the Scottish Referendum,

so there could well be some parents with children of school age.

Edited by Awayoffski

8 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

skodaVRS1963,

are you a contributor to the UK economy / treasury putting more in than you have had out of the system so far and you will get in your life.

Paying at the higher tax rates, a single working person or couple with no Tax / Child Tax Credits or benefits or allowances and worthy of having a vote?

Yes.

I don't have kids and, thank God, I have been very fortunate with my health and have been in constant employment since age 16 (I'm now 53) except for one period of 6 weeks.

Now I haven't always paid higher rate tax (naturally), I doubt anyone has ever entered the workplace at age 16 and earned enough to pay higher rate tax........but I have done for the last 25 years.

So I think I'm entitled to an opinion, don't you?

19 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Ahhhh I get it. You only want to give the vote to people like you who can spunk a grand backing the loser, right. You don't want democracy at all, do you?

Potty mouth, if you can't indulge in discourse without resorting to phrases like that then please refrain from contributing to a grown up debate.

3 minutes ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Potty mouth, if you can't indulge in discourse without resorting to phrases like that then please refrain from contributing to a grown up debate.

hey, you're the one calling anyone who happens to be a teensy weensy bit left of yourself a snowflake so don't give me that crap.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spunk

23 hours ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

You do realise that 100 is the midpoint, so you'd exclude half the population?

What about people still in education who haven't yet started work? Do they get a vote?

Also, how do you define snowflakes, and who do you think that applies to here?

skodaVRS1963,  do you pay much attention really to what others manage to do?

i know plenty 25 year olds or there abouts that left school at 16 that earn more than £100,000 a year and have children.

I went to school with plenty that were away by 15 year old and made millions and retired or sold businesses then started others and made more millions.

I know girls that had children to these high tax payers and have never had a job, so no idea why they should not get a vote.

On 22/04/2017 at 11:03, Ryeman said:

In Australia, every vote counts because, apart from being mandatory to vote, you have the a preferential system rather than a potential situation of someone with 34%, in a three cornered contest, being elected.

It means that if you choose the 'party ticket' your second and third etc preference is taken into account.....or you can mark the ticket as you like.

We don't end up with a 'minority' government being elected either.

We have the same preferential system and courtesy of weak leadership on all sides and a gang of populist moronic wannabees and independent uselessness we have a minority government being propped up by a party which is one of 2 formed formed during our post independence civil war (the other being the minority leader) and its working brilliantly... other than all of the problems with every department of government..

45 minutes ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

No.

Democracy on your terms is not democracy at all.

The unnecessary insults do nothing to sustain your argument.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevberlin said:

Democracy on your terms is not democracy at all.

The unnecessary insults do nothing to sustain your argument.

It's alright, he's just a little out of place, I'm not sure what happened to bump him forward from the Victorian period but it must be a bit confusing. 

• Like 3

What is the 'snowflake' bit? 

I know the Snowflake Generation, and the other uses of Snowflake and skodaVRS1963 uses the term in various different posts and sections, 

i take no offence personally because i am not so sure skodaVRS1963 knows what he means by calling people snowflakes.

Oh dear, isn't this just yet another re-hash of the  "Undeserving poor" argument  (Demonisation) from the 17th and 19th Century Poor laws, as  re-presented in 1979 and every election since, advanced by paid claques on behalf of an elite ?

What happens in 20 - 30 years time when the best part of the labour force in retail, transport and warehousing are automated out of jobs (As is predicted)- you could be talking about 10-15% of the current working population - do they all get moved to cliffside properties in anticipation of the next lemming goldrush ?

Surely, the gigantic challenge for the whole population for the next 50 years onwards is not whether or not they are contributing to economic output, an output that will be largely automated and increasingly unaffected by any human input (Including those that think they've made a disproportionate or unrewarded effort), it is how to fill the time and manage mental health in the absence of everyday workplace involvement. 

"More please" and associated issues was only an issue for the mean spirited 200 years ago.

The Monotheistic justification of business is as dead as religion's duck as  a source of all human validity.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick