KESSY question

This may well be another daft question, but...

Is it possible to disable the system so you have you actively unlock the car by pressing a button on the key?

I am considering an L&K estate but the KESSY is the one thing potentially putting me off after reading about a spate of vehicle thefts where this type of system may have been a factor.

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

The KESSY system requires you to physically make contact with the front doors both to unlock and lock the car so is very short ranged.  The locks don't work even from a couple of feet away and unless you are touching the handle don't fire at all.  No idea if you can turn that bit off with VCDS.

Manufacturers have been forced to make the systems much harder to penetrate unless you have the keyfob itself and given VAG got flagged a year or so back by the Press for using the same limited number of security keys across their entire range, things are supposed to have been 'resolved' with a patch as part of service.

Similar risks exist with any electronic lock system, and the usual trick is to jam the key frequency to prevent a car lock command from getting through.  My impression is that with the KESSY system a scrote thief would have to be standing next to you to get the information from your key.

BMW also had to harden their systems too.

Edited by FelisBengalensis
  • Like 1

DH,

I was of the same opinion as you when I ordered my car but was forced to have Kessy when I chose a number of options.

I can honestly say it is the best choice I never made :) 

I love it and as Felis says you have to be adjacent the car for it to work.

However that said, if you can make it someone can break it.  Even keys.

Professional thieves aren't likely to be on the lookout for Škodas. My Sportline came with the darker rear windows, which makes it more difficult to see if anything is worth stealing from the back seats. I, too, love KESSY.

The only drawback for me: when I wash the car, I am continually locking and unlocking the doors when I run the cloths over it. I hope I don't wear it out!

On 5/1/2017 at 12:55, freelunch said:

I am continually locking and unlocking the doors when I run the cloths over it. I hope I don't wear it out!

keep keys few meters away

On 2017-4-29 at 20:25, DH- Leeds said:

Is it possible to disable the system so you have you actively unlock the car by pressing a button on the key?

KESSY can either work by using the touch points on the handle OR by unlocking / locking on the key fob. No disablement of systems required.

I quite often unlock using the keyfob because the kids want to get in the car but lock using the door handle.

2 hours ago, freelunch said:

It's tricky, because I park 100 meters from our flat. I'll try and figure something out.

Assuming that you're staying with your car, just put the key inside the car. This worked for me at the weekend when I had the same problem.

• Like 2

never allowed me to do that, whether the key is in the cabin or in the boot. Sometimes wondered after throwing coat (with key) in boot why boot lid would not close at all, stopped about 75% shut.

11 hours ago, freelunch said:

Can you lock the car from the outside while the key is inside?

I did wonder that myself so I was fully prepared to go back inside to get one of the spare keys if needed but no amount of touching the handle would lock it - of course I don't offer any guarantee. :)

I've also noticed then when I'm putting the wipers in their park position for cleaning the car unless the key in actually inside the car then pressing the start/stop button gives the key out of range or similar message (since I only lean in to the car to do this the key is in my pocket just outside of the car).

"I've also noticed then when I'm putting the wipers in their park position for cleaning the car "

Don't do what I did and start the car without putting the wipers back down!

It made a terrible nose as they crashed into the bonnet. I have looked very carefully at the paintwork and luckily I got away without a scratch.

• 3 months later...

what is very interesting is that you can open my car start it up, then get out put the key in the house and drive around the block !! given that the thieves are using a device that picks up the signal from the key fob in say the hallway of your house and boost it so the car receives it so can be opened and started. why would you be able to drive the car without the key.

Regards Terry

On 29/04/2017 at 20:25, DH- Leeds said:

You can disable KESSY as a one-off by locking the car with the keyfob button then touching the KESSY pad on the door handle within five seconds.  The car can then only be unlocked next time with the keyfob button.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Trojax01 said:

what is very interesting is that you can open my car start it up, then get out put the key in the house and drive around the block !! given that the thieves are using a device that picks up the signal from the key fob in say the hallway of your house and boost it so the car receives it so can be opened and started. why would you be able to drive the car without the key.

Regards Terry

To my understanding the thief scenario will not work, there are two different technologies in the fob, one for keyless entry and NFC (like credit cards) for the immobiliser. The NFC circuit needs to be in close proximity to the ignition, hence the reason you can start your car even if the battery is flat on the fob. If a thief managed to amplify the signal they may be able to get into the car but not start it.

6 hours ago, simhub said:

You can disable KESSY as a one-off by locking the car with the keyfob button then touching the KESSY pad on the door handle within five seconds.  The car can then only be unlocked next time with the keyfob button.

Hi I don't seem to be able to get this working on mine L&K Superb estate 2016

Regards Terry

On 9/1/2017 at 10:07, simhub said:

I tried that yesterday and it works for me on a MY18 L&K estate.

On 9/1/2017 at 12:07, simhub said:

You can disable KESSY as a one-off by locking the car with the keyfob button then touching the KESSY pad on the door handle within five seconds.

The car can then only be unlocked next time with the keyfob button.

on 2016.week-8 this method doesn't work :(

so the question is why can we drive our cars away without the key even with the car sounding a dash notice that the key is not detected.  I have ordered a key pouch of Amazon

It seems obvious that with out the key present the car should not be able to be driven away at all let alone for ever.

Regards Terry

• 1 year later...

My 67 plate superb sportline works with this method, lock doors with key fob and then touch the keyless lock indentation on handle straight away. To check wait till mirrors all folded in and car is locked, try pulling handle it wont unlock.