Modifying Your Fabia MK III

I see everyone is sharing pics of their Fabias so I figured I’d do the same!

Current non stock items:

- Wheels: EtaBeta Eros in 17”x7,5 ET36

- Intake: BMC Panel filter with stock airbox

- Blacked our badges with plastidip 

Monday afternoon I’m going to my local APR dealer and remapping, will update with the dyno results!

6F58C710-268A-4CAA-9FC5-C768086407A3.jpeg

17EF315B-0123-43D9-BCE5-44F293CCFC4F.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, steslatt said:

How do I post stuff for sale one here? Went into the marketplace section but I can't see anywhere to create a post? Selling the Fabia now so I've got a few bits going.

You have to pay £10 per year to become a Freedom member to post items for sale.:thumbup:

• Thanks 1

....and mapped!

Overall I’m pretty happy. Opted for a 95ron remap as I’m going to Sicily for a couple months and I don’t really trust the gas quality there.

Max torque: 235nm (~175ft-lb) @2,8k rpm

Max hp is slightly underwhelming at “only” 126hp. But I usually don’t go over 3k rpm so it doesn’t really matter. 

B590FE55-7ECA-438D-BB09-E4A745E2D687.jpeg

Edited by Rizzoed
  • Like 1

Hey Guys and Gals! 

New to the forum, my first post in fact! been a long time lurker tbh 🕷️ 

My pride and joy that I recently have finished my first phase of mods on;

1.2TSi 110 6 speed manual

Forge Induction kit with Black hoses

Forge Blow-off valve with Black Hoses 

Stance + ultra coilovers Wound down to the last threads so 100mm front, 75mm rear drop with Stance+ shortened drop links and New track rod ends for good measure. 📏

Ebay armrest 

Callipers have 3 coats of very high temperature silver paint

Power flow full stainless steel cat-back system

Local stage 1 remap but not run on dyno, so my guess is around 150bhp

All the mods were undertaken by me on my driveway bar the exhaust and map.

cheers.    

IMG_3036.thumb.JPG.341d93dffa811e8cedd238bcdb3bd864.JPG57A09AB2-A140-46A0-952B-D094E48AA68F.thumb.JPG.8a3d9a79c17dd1960affd5753e4d8d4d.JPG

• Like 1

I'm currently looking at coilovers for my Monte.  I have a two main options, first being the Eibach lowering springs and Bilstein B8 shocks which will cost about £650, or go for a Bilstein B14 coilover kit which is £720.  Whilst the first option works out cheaper in the short term with only needing to spend £160 on lowering springs to start with,  I'm leaning more towards the latter as I'll the B14 coilovers are height adjustable.  If I want adjustable dampers too, the B16 shocks are a massive £1610 which is a big no considering my car is my daily driver.

The Fabia isn't listed on there, however it has the same chassis and running gear as the A1, Polo and Ibiza which are all listed so fitment shouldn't be an issue.  The kit in question is the Bilstein B14 Suspension Kit - 47-168091.

Before I go ahead and bite the bullet and spend all of my money, are there any other honorable mentions for coilover kits with adjustable ride height?

14 minutes ago, TheFozzy said:

I'm currently looking at coilovers for my Monte.  I have a two main options, first being the Eibach lowering springs and Bilstein B8 shocks which will cost about £650, or go for a Bilstein B14 coilover kit which is £720.  Whilst the first option works out cheaper in the short term with only needing to spend £160 on lowering springs to start with,  I'm leaning more towards the latter as I'll the B14 coilovers are height adjustable.  If I want adjustable dampers too, the B16 shocks are a massive £1610 which is a big no considering my car is my daily driver.

The Fabia isn't listed on there, however it has the same chassis and running gear as the A1, Polo and Ibiza which are all listed so fitment shouldn't be an issue.  The kit in question is the Bilstein B14 Suspension Kit - 47-168091.

Before I go ahead and bite the bullet and spend all of my money, are there any other honorable mentions for coilover kits with adjustable ride height?

ST X by KW coilovers are highly regarded (i'm personally going the Eibach + B8 route, already have the springs, not fitted yet though).

They are exactly the same as KW v1's except they are galvanised steel rather than stainless steel. So they're slightly more prone to rust.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

ST X by KW coilovers are highly regarded (i'm personally going the Eibach + B8 route, already have the springs, not fitted yet though).

They are exactly the same as KW v1's except they are galvanised steel rather than stainless steel. So they're slightly more prone to rust.

I can also recommend ST X coilovers. Had them installed couple of months ago and I don't have any complains about them, really good for the price. Ride quality is ok (definitely u feel every bump), but the car feels 100x sharper then before. Note that you can't slam the back all the way, if u into that, as it sits really high to begin with and u can only adjust height.  

Capture.JPG

19 minutes ago, krdza_vRS said:

I can also recommend ST X coilovers. Had them installed couple of months ago and I don't have any complains about them, really good for the price. Ride quality is ok (definitely u feel every bump), but the car feels 100x sharper then before. Note that you can't slam the back all the way, if u into that, as it sits really high to begin with and u can only adjust height.  

Capture.JPG

The KW ST X coilovers are quite tempting.  They're £120 cheaper than the Bilstein B14s and have a lot more height adjustability to play around with which is a must for me.

1 hour ago, TheFozzy said:

The KW ST X coilovers are quite tempting.  They're £120 cheaper than the Bilstein B14s and have a lot more height adjustability to play around with which is a must for me.

They're about 585 i think on dpmperformance (edit: fixed spelling)

Here's a link to them on that particular site

https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/car-parts/skoda/fabia/st-x-by-kw-coilover-suspension-kitfabia-nj-20152019-10-12tsi-14tdi

Edited by FabiaGonzales

10 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

They're about 585 i think on dmperformance (i think that's how its spelt)

Yeah, just found them.  That's a really good price too!  Once I have ordered some shortened 13" plates and I've been paid, I'll probably bite the bullet and get the ST X coilovers.  I'm finally on modified insurance so let the modding commence!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, TheFozzy said:

Yeah, just found them.  That's a really good price too!  Once I have ordered some shortened 13" plates and I've been paid, I'll probably bite the bullet and get the ST X coilovers.  I'm finally on modified insurance so let the modding commence!

I bought them of ebay, for a bit cheaper then that, so u should probably check other stores and maybe save 40-50gbp. Can't wait to see what u think of them :D

Btw has anyone ever bought rep VW wheels, how bad can they be? :D

17920180191636727907418146484.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/07/2020 at 04:44, TheFozzy said:

Regarding coilovers, I'm now also looking at the ST XTA coilovers which have an adjustable camber plate and damper rebound adjust-ability.  Question is, what to choose....

KW ST X (£570)

KW ST XTA (£960)

On 04/07/2020 at 05:27, TheFozzy said:

Alternatively, the mid option is the KW ST XA (£765) which has the added benefit of adjustable dampers, but doesn't include a camber plate.

I'm curious to know as to how the camber plate even works in the Fabia, i'm guessing it requires fabrication with the strut tower?

On another note, having seen that the 1.4 turbo could potentially bring me to 175bhp, it's made me think that i might possibly run out of gears if i tried to go for a top speed run. That, along with the fact i'm nearing a clutch replacement, and my usual cruising speed of 85 (yeah tut tut me 😂 ) ish starts to bring the engine up to rpms where it's a bit on the noisier side. Makes me think it might be worth trying to swap to a 6spd box.

What are the prospects of a gearbox swap, from 5spd to 6spd? I know itd probably require some vcds adaptation for the dash indicator and such.

Can someone with a 1.2TSI 110ps 6spd check what gearbox code they have? It's on the sticker in the spare wheel bay under the boot floor. Thanks in advance :) 

12 hours ago, FabiaGonzales said:

I'm curious to know as to how the camber plate even works in the Fabia, i'm guessing it requires fabrication with the strut tower?

On another note, having seen that the 1.4 turbo could potentially bring me to 175bhp, it's made me think that i might possibly run out of gears if i tried to go for a top speed run. That, along with the fact i'm nearing a clutch replacement, and my usual cruising speed of 85 (yeah tut tut me 😂 ) ish starts to bring the engine up to rpms where it's a bit on the noisier side. Makes me think it might be worth trying to swap to a 6spd box.

What are the prospects of a gearbox swap, from 5spd to 6spd? I know itd probably require some vcds adaptation for the dash indicator and such.

Can someone with a 1.2TSI 110ps 6spd check what gearbox code they have? It's on the sticker in the spare wheel bay under the boot floor. Thanks in advance :) 

As tempted as I am by the camber plate, the additional £200 over the ST XA coilovers is just a bit too steep, and I dont track the car enough to need extra negative camber. 

Unfortunately there isn't much left of my sticker after it was taken off to repair the floor from being rear ended in January, though i have added it below.  I do believe the gearboxes used in the Fabia is the MQ200 (DQ200 for DSG models), rated to a maximum of 200NM of torque, though some sources say it's 250NM.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/405463223589142532/732182665725476874/20200713_112927.jpg

Edited by TheFozzy

23 minutes ago, TheFozzy said:

As tempted as I am by the camber plate, the additional £200 over the ST XA coilovers is just a bit too steep, and I dont track the car enough to need extra negative camber. 

Unfortunately there isn't much left of my sticker after it was taken off to repair the floor from being rear ended in January, though i have added it below.  I do believe the gearboxes used in the Fabia is the MQ200 (DQ200 for DSG models), rated to a maximum of 250NM of torque.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/405463223589142532/732182665725476874/20200713_112927.jpg

Thanks :D that's the PRQ box, mine has the 5 speed PED box.

As far as i'm aware, the torque ratings are generally based off the clutch they are paired with. The 5spd is definitely MQ200, and is rated for 200nm (confirmed with my dealer some time ago when 5th gear failed in my old box), and the DQ200 (DSG) rated for 250nm.

I'll have a good look into the PRQ box, see what it's rated for and what other engines its been paired with. I wonder if it's possible to put a larger clutch from the 1.4tsi (which supposedly use MQ250 boxes, but have been seen with 320nm and beyond when mapped), or if the clutch housing is too small for those (240 diameter vs 220)

Edit: Reading around it appears the torque rating is the clutches rating, the gearboxes themselves can take a fair bit more. Between the engine/clutch/gearbox, the clutch is the weakest link.

The PRQ box is a 02U type but is fundamentally the same as the 02T type PED box.

Edited by FabiaGonzales

Lunch hour (maybe 2 hours 😅) well spent.  Rear lights are now tinted and looking pretty sweet.

The light clusters have a 90% tint over the clear section, followed with a fly-eye style tint over the whole cluster.  Then I also added a 35% film onto the third break light.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/405463223589142532/732245178248593438/20200713_152627.jpg