Scorcher - how hot is it where you are?

Gaz

The coolest part of my house is 78F at the moment, but it's nudging 90 in the shade in the garden:

IMG_2820_zps6avlvvzm.jpg

Was interested in real figures rather than what I can find online.

Gaz

The A27, Chichester bypass, was a graveyard. 9 cars with bonnets up between Witterings roundabout and J12 for Portsmouth. RAC/AA/local recovery all in attendace. Bri g on summer!!!!!

• Like 1

The Weather channel historians say 54 C that day (making it the hottest reliably measured shade temperature in history) but the USAF measuring equipment said 56 C, so that's what we used to calculate take off distances etc.

The locals cut our power supplies too, so 90% of the buildings' aircon packed up.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

Currently showing 27 in the shade at nearly 2100 in Sheffield but was hotter earlier in the day and also hotter by 2 degrees per floor as you go up inside our house.  So it's 31 in our bedroom at the top and that is with all the windows wide open all day and the curtains towards the sun drawn...

All of us, especially the rabbit in his fur coat, are knackered with it!

Edited by skomaz

Estimated 22 c at the Fife Historic Vehicle Club meeting at the Vintage Bus museum,Lathalmond,Fife this afternoon - very pleasant - we even had to force down some ice cream :)

• Like 1

Car said 28 c, thermometer on rear gate  said 31. House says hot. Even at 2230. We're down to little clothing. But yonks ago - 40 was common where I worked. Even works van thermometer read 40+ first thing in morning. But that was with low humidity on the Rhodesia /RSA border, where we swam ( Crocks permitting) in the Limpopo. Here high humidity is the factor.

Tip for houses that get hot as you go up- open the loft hatch and let the heat RISE. ( Something HOC might think of looking at, given the amount of HOT air).

Ours has no felt between slates and inside, so any high level wind takes the hot air off.

31 minutes ago, VWD said:

Tip for houses that get hot as you go up- open the loft hatch and let the heat RISE. ( Something HOC might think of looking at, given the amount of HOT air).

Ours has no felt between slates and inside, so any high level wind takes the hot air off.

Our old house used to be like that but was a!always roasting up there.  The one we are in now is insulated to the hilt and has a fancy membrane up there under the tiles etc. as we have a bedroom and bathroom up there so is still roasting.  We do have four velux and a dormer though so had all of them open trying to create a draw thought the house...

Same as George yesterday but the garden was much hotter with my hedges blocking the wind. Was sweating like a pig gardening.

Got burned on Saturday just sitting my mates garden in Carnoustie for an hour.

Roasty Toasty.

Bit sticky at night though

• Like 1

My wife ran the Hull 10K yesterday. Before the race had even started it was over 20C at 9.30am whilst she was still running it had risen to 25C. A really torturous run for everyone yesterday.

Our thermometer in the garden read 29C in the shade, inside the house with all the curtains shut, to try and keep it cooler, the thermostat was showing 27C. Needless to say I didn't get a very good sleep but at least we have ceiling fans in the bedrooms to move the hot air about. 

• Like 1

I've had 28-29 outside on the car thermometer, and higher on the rear garden thermometer , a few miles from you. Still, I have a happy DIL as she's from LA, and to make things better, her parents are over for a holiday. Over there- 30 is a cool day.

We're a bit fortunate inside, as the cladding keeps the house cool ,as well as the location, where the front only gets hot in the afternoon.

Edited by VWD