Road and brake noise 2017 model

I traded in my 2013 Rapid for what I thought was a good car. 'Octavia 1.4DSG SE' 2017 model

After a couple of weeks and a 330 mile trip to Devon have experienced the worsed road/tire noise since my Nova Sport 87...And on top of this you cannot ignore the droning noise the brakes make...I got myself involved in a PCP for 3 yrs and dont know what my rights are here. My 2013 Rapid was quiet and so refined compered to this car...Any Help would be appreciated.

Is it really the brakes and not the tyres and the other issues that can have a Mk3 Otavia driving people crazy?

Have you experimented with tyre pressures, and what tyres are fitted.

Has the car only covered a few hundred miles and not yet run in?

• Like 1

Brake noise is certainly not normal in my experience with the VRS...sadly the road/tyre noise is an issue on anything other than perfectly smooth tarmac and is something that I try to ignore as a best I can, as I like pretty much everything else about the car.

It is clear that Skoda skimp on the sound deadening/proofing in the Octavia and the result is a tiresome roar from the road a lot of the time which worsens the more laden the car is and is noticeably worse in the wagon over the saloon.

I do gather that tyres can make some difference and am looking forward to swapping my P-Zeros for some F1 AS2 or AS3 to see if that helps.

2 hours ago, David69Rapid said:

Tyre presures are ok and tyres are continental eco's ...i want to like this car but it seems to have a suspension/tyre/brake defect

I have continental eco contact 5 on 16s, there awful tyres. Road noise is auful on nearly all surfaces and the lateral grip is poor. Pressure wise, i found 2.3 bar 33psi a good pressure, this is my prefrence, as its a good compromise.

Getting on to the brakes, they are noisy, i put this down to poor sound proofing, i thought it was bearings at first. However i think its probably just the high metalic content of the pads.

Edited by Alpha2110

Goodyear efficient grip get good reviews for noise. I would by them but am loathed to get rid of tyres with tread. The continental ecos have still 5mm on and i have done 18k, the things wont wear out.

12 hours ago, Alpha2110 said:

Goodyear efficient grip get good reviews for noise. I would by them but am loathed to get rid of tyres with tread. The continental ecos have still 5mm on and i have done 18k, the things wont wear out.

I'm sorry to say this,  but you can wait for the Continental to wear out - The Goodyear isnt quiet on a Octavia!

I was tired of the road noise so I get rid of the Bridgestone, and put on some Tyfoon - that didnt help.

Then I changed the Tyfoon for Goodyear, and guess what - that didnt help either.

My car has 225/40-18

It is the car, not the tires 

8 hours ago, norsko said:

I'm sorry to say this,  but you can wait for the Continental to wear out - The Goodyear isnt quiet on a Octavia!

I was tired of the road noise so I get rid of the Bridgestone, and put on some Tyfoon - that didnt help.

Then I changed the Tyfoon for Goodyear, and guess what - that didnt help either.

My car has 225/40-18

This is disappointing, this was my last hope of getting a quiet car. Sound proofing makes very little difference. It must be the cars shape acousticly, is i have mentionedbin previous posts the mk2 superb is Mercedes like in sound, its just a bit big.

I delibrataly got the car with 16s tbinking it would give a super comfy ride. Unfortuntly i think in retrospect 17 would give a better driving dynamic. 16 have a funny resonant frequency causing them to ring, its realy weird. 

Reading some of the posts here it seems like the mk3 has gone back in time regarding sound insulation/build quality. I remember 1st driving a mk3 Cavalier and the quietness in the cabin. This Octavia is not even up to the standard of a car 20/30years old.

I contacted Skoda customer service uk to complain and there advise taking it in for inspection/road test next Monday.

The car is 3 weeks old and 1050miles on the clock. Drove to Devon last weekend and ended up with a headache with the road noise. On smooth roads a little better but not perfect.

My 2013 Rapid was a more refined car than this!

I'm wondering what my rights are if there cannot find any thing wrong...The car is on a PCP

Can i just reject the car and refuse to pay?

The Octavia is just not a very quiet car period, although newer models are supposed to be better than the first mk 3 Octavia's from 2013. Torsion beam suspension is just not up to the mark for normal mixed driving unless you're spending most of your time on good dual carriage ways or motorways. Not much sound proofing in the mix either and even less for petrol engined versus diesel models. The only thing which made a difference to my Octavia mk 3 when I had it was changing the front tyres when the Dunlop Sports wore out, you'll get many different suggestions as to which tyres to try, I tried  Vredestein Ultrac Satin, a continental make that I hadn't heard of before, big difference in road noise and handling though. I'm sure there are plenty of other tyres which will be quieter than those your car came with.

As for your current concerns try your dealer and see if you can get a chance to drive a similar Octavia back to back with yours and compare road noise etc, just to check whether there is really a defect in your particular car.

• Like 1

FYI.

Vredestein ( good tyres ) are from the Netherlands but are now owned by Apollo from India.

Continental have another make called Barum though.

Thanks AG Falco.

On rough tarmac it is noisy. Driven a lot in Poland on smooth tarmac. The car feels more refined then. Back in Norway again and the droning noise is back due to rough tarmac. 

Want a less noisy car? Buy one with high profile tyres, thicker Windows and noise cancellation. It will make a huge difference. 

Edited by KjetilRos

22 hours ago, norsko said:

My car has 225/40-18

Sad for you but i change to Goodyear E Grip Perf on my two Octys (year -15/-17) and totaly new cars after that regarding roadnoise. 205/55/16 is the size i use for my cars. Change one of my Octys to a VWsportswagon, but thats another story, and change tyre to Goodyear on VW to. So for me it has been a good experience with Goodyear. So i have 3 cars with very good results on Goodyear. Lucky me.

The Octavia is a noisy car, i was quite surprised after changing from a Honda Accord. I have an old Merc CLK also, and that is so much queiter and smoother, I know its maybe not a fair comparison.

Its weight saving for emissions and cost cutting that have caused it. Its a shame as in many ways its a great car.

Generally the road in the Czech Republic are smoother than here, less cheap resurfacing, so in development, I guess it was acceptably quiet.

AllanDJ, they do improve on other tyres, maybe see if the dealer will swap the tyres. Also use a decibel app on your mobile to get some benchmark sound levels, before and after at say 60mph.

The O3 is noisier due to weight savings, its even worst if you don't have a spare wheel, the wheel well can act like a drum. Many things can be done to reduce the noise but, to some extent it will always be there.

I'd do some more investigation maybe even see a solicitors (many have free evening advice/intros) if you really feel its gonna be an issue.

I've gotta spare wheel, softer tyres at a pressure that works for me & I turn the music up quite often.

Just put some Avon ZZ5s on my MK2 and they seem very quiet. Avon was OEM for Rolls Royce, granted a long time ago.

Hi David, odd, my MY16 Octavia 1.4 SEL is also on 16 inch Conti's and is fine for me regarding road noise and I don't hear any droning from the brakes either. Not a Rolls, but one of the quietest cars I have driven apart from the air pressure 'drumming' you get when the rear windows are down.

14 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Hi David, odd, my MY16 Octavia 1.4 SEL is also on 16 inch Conti's and is fine for me regarding road noise and I don't hear any droning from the brakes either. Not a Rolls, but one of the quietest cars I have driven apart from the air pressure 'drumming' you get when the rear windows are down.

Thanks for sharing. It shows there must be something not right with mine. When I get the increased road noise and then use the brakes the noise increases. On a smooth road brakes are quieter

I hope to get it sorted next week with Skoda. 

I really like the car the racing blue metalic but this noise is p****g me off.

23 hours ago, AllanDJ said:

The Octavia is just not a very quiet car period, although newer models are supposed to be better than the first mk 3 Octavia's from 2013. Torsion beam suspension is just not up to the mark for normal mixed driving unless you're spending most of your time on good dual carriage ways or motorways. Not much sound proofing in the mix either and even less for petrol engined versus diesel models. The only thing which made a difference to my Octavia mk 3 when I had it was changing the front tyres when the Dunlop Sports wore out, you'll get many different suggestions as to which tyres to try, I tried  Vredestein Ultrac Satin, a continental make that I hadn't heard of before, big difference in road noise and handling though. I'm sure there are plenty of other tyres which will be quieter than those your car came with.

As for your current concerns try your dealer and see if you can get a chance to drive a similar Octavia back to back with yours and compare road noise etc, just to check whether there is really a defect in your particular car.

Octy MK2 and MK3 don't use torsion beam suspension, it's independant on the front and rear of both cars, the yeti does however use torsion beam.

It is the tyres's i have a fl mk2 and hate the conti's it's got, much noisier the my pre Fl was. Road noise is a big problem with modern cars because of the large diameter rims and lower profile tyre's we all like fitting, they simply ruin the ride.

8 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

Octy MK2 and MK3 don't use torsion beam suspension, it's independant on the front and rear of both cars, the yeti does however use torsion beam.

It is the tyres's i have a fl mk2 and hate the conti's it's got, much noisier the my pre Fl was. Road noise is a big problem with modern cars because of the large diameter rims and lower profile tyre's we all like fitting, they simply ruin the ride.

I think you will find that the Mk3 does indeed have TB rear suspension - I believe that it's only the VRS that has the independent rear suspension nowadays. 

• Like 1

Just now, Warrior193 said:

I think you will find that the Mk3 does indeed have TB rear suspension - I believe that it's only the VRS that has the independent rear suspension nowadays. 

I'm an MOT tester by trade so i do see a fair few, it is independant as is golf MK7 on which the OCty share's it's mechanical's with, both are built on the MQB platform.