Sport Mode v Eco Mode MPG

25 mile run in Sport mode with plenty of beans overtaking motorcycles. 40mpg. B)Return trip 59mpg Eco mode ,also not hanging around. Not definitive but indicative.:o

Edited by gregoir

Indicative of what exactly? Surely it's a known fact that the mode-button messes with throttle response, so if you're putting your foot down in sport mode it's going to use more "beans" (or fuel if you may) than the eco-mode which is to be Frank (whoever he is) totally boring. 

Edited by courty

The only reason I stay in Eco mode is for coasting (DSG) if I could get the car to coast in normal or sport I would not bother with Eco as I found very little difference after driving several hundred miles in each of the modes, keeping in mind that in all modes I kept acceleration and braking pretty much the same, the only reason I get an extra few miles per tank in eco is probably more down to the fact here in rural wales I have plenty of down hills where I can coast.

• Like 1

Mine has a manual gearbox. I had the opportunity to do a cross country trip in sport engine mode. It was "interesting "and the overtaking punch in 4th gear was excellent. The indicated mpg was consistently lower throughout the journey at the various stages that I got to know over 25 years commuting. Yes I was using the loud pedal for the heck of it at times.

I'll stick to  ECO mode in future. ECO performance in a manual is not dull, and still gives the chance for strong acceleration when the pedal is pushed past the 'kickdown' click. 39mpg v 59mpg was an enjoyable experiment and shows how the driver is the biggest influence on economy.

• Like 1

Interesting but you need to consider, was the engine cold for the first run and hot for the second, wind direction and speed, percentage of hills ascent/descent etc, but this engine is known to be very efficient so there is bound to be a decent difference between the modes assuming you drive Eco in and Eco manner and not try and not boot it.

• Like 1

Many on here say that there is no difference in the engine mapping between the sport/normal/eco driving modes, and it only affects the accelerator pedal response. I believe there is a difference in the engine mapping, but can anyone point to a specification or reference or official statement that gives a definitive answer? 

Edited by TDIum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, octavia5 said:

Interesting but you need to consider, was the engine cold for the first run and hot for the second, wind direction and speed, percentage of hills ascent/descent etc, but this engine is known to be very efficient so there is bound to be a decent difference between the modes assuming you drive Eco in and Eco manner and not try and not boot it.

It was just a bit of fun. From many other experiences of that run, the norm was to get the same mpg both ways.

2 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

I can't see the point in these different modes.  I leave mine in sport and use my right foot to 'change modes'.  If I want economy, I don't use the pedal like an on/off switch.  If I want to make swift progress, I do.  I find it amusing the number of people I've seen claiming to switch the car into Sport mode for an overtake or other quick maneuver.  It's an Octavia you're driving, not KITT from Knight Rider.

On a DSG motor, a pull back on the stick engages sports mode, so this is how we do it. Once the overtake or manoeuvre is done, another pull back on the stick and back to the previous mode, in my case eco. 

We have the switch in two places, gear stick as the first and most easily accessible, then the button on the dash as the second. The later I don't use. :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

On a DSG motor, a pull back on the stick engages sports mode

This is the sport mode of the DSG, as you point out. This is separate from the driving mode selection (although when you initially change the driving mode on a DSG-equipped car it does change the DSG mode also). 

• Like 1

Most, if not all, comments have come from DSG owners. Interesting. I'm convinced that ECO is best for a manual transmission, as I can always get the extra power by simply flooring the pedal.

Thanks guys.

Edited by gregoir
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gregoir said:

Most, if not all, comments have come from DSG owners. Interesting. I'm convinced that ECO is best for a manual transmission, as I can always get the extra power by simply flooring the pedal.

Thanks guys.

Mine's a manual :tongueout: 

I've used eco for a few days sporadically since I bought it and for me, as my earlier post stated, it seems flat. I don't know whether it's due to the fact I am used to the immediate, punchy response I get in sport mode that I don't like the eco-setting. However, the DSG's ability to "coast" is appealing, I've never driven let alone owned an auto but I am tempted with the prospect that my next car will be automatic. 

I'm on my jollies soon, so I might drive the breadth of the country in Eco and the other in sport, just got to resist that button press...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TDIum said:

This is the sport mode of the DSG, as you point out. This is separate from the driving mode selection (although when you initially change the driving mode on a DSG-equipped car it does change the DSG mode also). 

My apologies, your quite correct :thumbup:

My bad. My car is set in eco then I pull on the stick to engage DSG sports mode. This is enough for me :D

Did a trip from South Wales to Luton this week for work reasons.

Pootling along at 65-67mph down the M4, M25 and up to Luton, some traffic on the M25 slowed me down to 20mph ish, parked up at hotel, trip computer showing 78mpg.  

Return trip via A roads through Aylesbury, Oxford, Cheltenham etc and rejoining the M4 on the Welsh side of the border, to avoid Europe's largest car park at rush hour (M25) all in around 420 miles.

Drivoo brim to brim 69.1mpg for that trip; very happy especially since work pays £0.50/mile fuel allowance :blush

And that was with "sports" throttle on the settings; 2.0TDi manual 150.  

• Like 1

As I have mine set in eco mode all the time, I often get to where I am going and check the display.

This morning I had an eco score of 99% and a journey mpg of 58 plus, this is driving over the Peak District from east to west on a 38 mile journey with a couple of stick pulls thrown in to boot. ;):thumbup:

Some driver's should only be let out on a Sunday :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Oh I have absolutely NO intentions of buying the car at end of its PCP

I know exactly how its been driven.......

Drive it like you stole  bought hired it :cool:

• Like 3

I ran numerous tests when I first got my 1.4 tsi, running a tank with the same journeys, driving styles etc.

Conclusion... car now stays in sport/individual  (all sport, eco steering). 

Made absolutely no noticeable difference what so ever. 

When driving long distance, I keep on thinking bunging it into eco will help but I then have to put it back so I can overtake etc.

6 hours ago, Stonker said:

On a DSG motor, a pull back on the stick engages sports mode, so this is how we do it. Once the overtake or manoeuvre is done, another pull back on the stick and back to the previous mode, in my case eco. 

We have the switch in two places, gear stick as the first and most easily accessible, then the button on the dash as the second. The later I don't use. :thumbup:

Does pulling back on the stick just put the gearbox in sport mode or all settings?