4x4 or Not

valv1866

Hello Everyone,

So now I've decided to replace my 2011 TSi Elegance Estate DSG with a L&K Tdi 170 Estate DSG,

I have the choice of two, one is a TDi 170 DSG 4x4 and one is the normal 2 wheel drive.

What's the thoughts ot there, is it worth having the 4x4 system?

Thanks - Rob

BTW if you're interested in the Elegance, please see here:

Edited by valv1866

Thanks for the feedback, SWMBO told me she preferred the styling of the MK2 to the MK3, so obviously we are having a MK2!

The cars are both white, which is not my first colour choice, the 4x4 is non metallic solid white while the 2WD is metallic which is OK. I've not seen the solid white yet.

I find the fact that the 4x4 splits the power between the four wheels means I have never in 60k miles had wheelspin when pulling out briskly, even when towing a 'van. Same can't be said of our little 1.4 Furby which gave me a fright yesterday.

Personally I wouldn't let the 4 wheel drive vs 2 wheel drive matter too much, but concentrate on which of the two cars has been looked after better, general condition, service history, mileage, colour, factory fitted options, are they private/trade sales (warranty etc). Do they have hill hold - remember your TSi had this as standard but I think it was an option on the TDI's - a bit of a pain if it doesn't have it with DSG.

I'd go with the one you prefer, regardless if it's the 4x4 or not.

You've managed to get this far without 4 wheel drive - you'll survive just fine without it.

Your TSi looks nice, does it also have the auto park option (I see the sensors just in front of the front wheels).

1 hour ago, chimaera said:

Hill-hold is just a coding change for most cars.

I believe that's only the case if it has the right ABS model fitted, if it hasn't it will never work unless the ABS unit is also changed.

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:05, cnc said:

Your TSi looks nice, does it also have the auto park option (I see the sensors just in front of the front wheels).

Thank you, it does have the self park option, I love the look on pedestrians faces when they realise I'm not steering!!

Was this an option on the Elegance?

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 21:19, chimaera said:

Yes, hence why I said most rather than all.

Thank you for the information, actually the biggest problem I have is the white, it just doesn't float my boat!

13 hours ago, valv1866 said:

Thank you, it does have the self park option, I love the look on pedestrians faces when they realise I'm not steering!!

Was this an option on the Elegance?

Yes, it was a factory fit option, another good selling point.

On 03/09/2017 at 10:40, cnc said:

Yes, it was a factory fit option, another good selling point.

Thanks for telling me, that's very useful info.

TBH I thought it was standard on the Elegance

On 01/09/2017 at 20:05, cnc said:

Personally I wouldn't let the 4 wheel drive vs 2 wheel drive matter too much, but concentrate on which of the two cars has been looked after better, general condition, service history, mileage, colour, factory fitted options, are they private/trade sales (warranty etc). Do they have hill hold - remember your TSi had this as standard but I think it was an option on the TDI's - a bit of a pain if it doesn't have it with DSG.

I'd go with the one you prefer, regardless if it's the 4x4 or not.

You've managed to get this far without 4 wheel drive - you'll survive just fine without it.

Weighing it all up, I have decided that white is not for me, there are so many nicer colours that make the Mk 2 look a little classier in my opinion, so the search continues!

• Administrators

IF the car is right, but the colour isn't, you could wrap it in any colour you like... I believe it's not a horrendously expensive choice.

I had a 4x4 MKII superb, manual though, loved it. I had the choice between FWD DSG and the manual 4x4, I picked the 4x4 as I was batting over hills and dale for my commute. With winter tyres I was happily driving around almost anything. I did get past a very long line of traffic, only to meet another bright spark on winters and of course no one wanted to make a space for the smart alecs. Fun times.

I choose the 4x4 over the DSG, not over the FWD. I was also on my 4x4/fwd flip cycle, bored of pulling out of roundabouts or junctions with a bit of spin/managed throttle. Eventually I sold it due to running costs. It didn't move for a month as I began working for myself. I reckon about 20% more to others at the time though for reference. Also a little loss in outright 'power'. Dragging various other passat class models I'd keep up, but only as mine was remapped. Of course in the ran/snow/damp I could continue merrily on my way.

I didn't have self park, so it must of been an option/fit later on, mine was elegance.

Really unless you know you have a heavy right foot / need to drive in inclement weather; I'd not unless I had to now, then either work. Plus once your sat inside, is it white anymore?

Edited by ColinD

8 minutes ago, ColinD said:

Really unless you know you have a heavy right foot / need to drive in inclement weather; I'd not unless I had to now, then either work. Plus once your sat inside, is it white anymore?

That's true but I'm not sure it's the right car for me, presented with one odd tyre, a chipped windscreen and a hole in the repeater in the n/s mirror was a little off putting.

Of course, the dealer said these would "be attended to" but made it sound like they were doing you a favour which wasn't too impressive!

That said, I do think the "Outlook Plus" model looks great in white with the addition of the chunky bumper covers and the Anthracite wheels 

10 hours ago, ColinD said:

Plus once your sat inside, is it white anymore?

You remind me of my cousin. He was always saying things like "When you're poking the fire, you can't see the mantelpiece" and "All cats stroke the same in the dark".  He often said these as an excuse for getting drunkenly amorous with aesthetically challenged women - including one that I am reasonably sure was equipped with a set of nuts.

The problem is, you still know.  :unsure: 

• Haha 1

I know you are looking again, but look at the Youtube video of a OIII with 2WD and 4WD.

They are the same Haldex 4 systems as on a SII.

You will get the power on the ground with a 2WD without problems in most situations...

I went for a SII 4x4 DSG.

• Administrators

Yeah but no, maybe more evenly worn?

I definitely put more tyres onto the RS, but I also put grippier, so softer ones on to get the 'power' down. I'd say, given I put new on rear etc, that when I had the superb on the 4x4, I didn't get a chance to rotate as much, so the rears did wear a little faster.

Hence my yes but no reply. Hard to say, probably evens out unless you're doing lots of coarse surface 'brisk' driving to chew the fronts up in cornering. I wasn't happy unless my sidewalls were well scrubbed ;)

Edited by ColinD