DSG 'fart' noise on FL mk3 Octavia vRS

20 hours ago, TechieAli said:

Press the VRS button, put the gearbox in S mode. Drive the car up to 5-6k rpm with full throttle and use the paddle to change gear once it will fast.

Do you need to be in manual mode? Or just sport mode that auto shifts? 

Ha ha...

This is getting all scientific.

Perhaps you could carry out some tests in each mode and report back on the amount of  'fart' produced by each. :D

Edited by Andyjm2uk
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 27/09/2017 at 04:04, TechieAli said:

Press the VRS button, put the gearbox in S mode. Drive the car up to 5-6k rpm with full throttle and use the paddle to change gear once it will fast.

Do I need to be in manual mode for this? ie push the gear leaver to the left?

Also, what's the difference between VRS mode and S mode on the gearbox?

1 hour ago, vrsage said:

Do I need to be in manual mode for this? ie push the gear leaver to the left?

Also, what's the difference between VRS mode and S mode on the gearbox?

vrs mode/button is just a mode selector. It brings up the various menu options (eco, comfort, Normal, sport, individual). 

24 minutes ago, TechieAli said:

The vrs mode ensures the engine is in sport mode too for the best throttle response. You can be in manual or automatic mode.

Thanks for that mate. 

Am am I using the paddles to shift in auto mode too? 

7 minutes ago, vrsage said:

So I choose sport mode yeah?

I'm not sure if you'd need to really to get the fart noises (i might be wrong).

You can leave it it normal mode and use the paddles to make it rev and change up when you choose to.

That being said, if you drive it enthusiastically enough in normal/D it will automatically change the gearbox into S mode and then revert back to D when you stop being so enthusiastic :)

Sport mode just sets everything up in one go- for example throttle response is sharper, steering becomes heavier, diff more aggressive, dcc set to stiff if you have it. it also changes stuff like the air con and sound actuator. 

Edited by Gumby
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Just to reserect post having had 245 dsg for 5 months now, just under 3k miles still haven't heard a peep or pop or crackle when upshifting in a spirited way. Not really bothered, just interested I guess if 245s were changed somehow to eliminate any shifting noises. 

21 hours ago, stepdavi said:

Just to reserect post having had 245 dsg for 5 months now, just under 3k miles still haven't heard a peep or pop or crackle when upshifting in a spirited way. Not really bothered, just interested I guess if 245s were changed somehow to eliminate any shifting noises. 

Well that's a bump and a half haha!

Il be collecting mine in just under 2 weeks.
I will get a fart out of it! One way or another......

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 13:20, stepdavi said:

I've had it on mine but more noticeable on downshifts in manual mode :) 

On 26-9-2017 at 12:54, vrsage said:

How much beans are we talking?

Is there a certain way or thing I need to do whilst shifting using the paddles?

I can confirm that with the proper amount of beans some people will fart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a brand new 2018 VRS 230 DSG and it doesn't make any DSG fart noise, even when driven hard. The new models are pretty much silent. Annoyingly, the 2017 version that I test drove sounded very fruity...

An APR stage 1 remap doesn't fix the problem either so I've heard ;)

7 hours ago, Rumboliee said:

I've got a brand new 2018 VRS 230 DSG and it doesn't make any DSG fart noise, even when driven hard. The new models are pretty much silent. Annoyingly, the 2017 version that I test drove sounded very fruity...

An APR stage 1 remap doesn't fix the problem either so I've heard ;)

Different exhaust systems. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KjetilRos said:

Different exhaust systems. 

Non-Res Milltek Cat back does it.  

Had mine re-fitted last week and makes big difference.  I had the cat back on the manual VRS before so never noticed it but on the DSG completely different.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pkoconnor said:

Non-Res Milltek Cat back does it.  

Had mine re-fitted last week and makes big difference.  I had the cat back on the manual VRS before so never noticed it but on the DSG completely different.  

How is the sound on a MWay cruise with the Non-Res, I'd love my FL 230 to be more vocal when giving it some stick - but don't want it to be loud and boomy when cruising on the M-Way or A roads.

My mk3 220 did nothing until I deleted mid res. Now it does not nice throaty farts, not as raspy as the 245 shown above.

However, When the Milltek 3" downpipe and sports cat go on, I presume we'll be even louder :D

Edited by creamvRS
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

How is the sound on a MWay cruise with the Non-Res, I'd love my FL 230 to be more vocal when giving it some stick - but don't want it to be loud and boomy when cruising on the M-Way or A roads.

The manual had a little drone between 70 - 80mph then not really any above that (when permitted)  The DSG so far at speed has none.  Really gives you the best of both worlds.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...