Things You Might Not Know About Your MKIII

So I thought I'd start a thread that might help others with little hints and tricks about their MKIII Fabia that other people might not know

Here are a couple I have found that weren't instantly apparent when I first got the vehicle:

- Pressing the volume thumb-wheel in on the steering wheel will mute the radio until it is either pressed again or the volume is turned up. For the other wheel for the HUD selection, pressing it in equates to pressing OK to go into a menu. Saves having to scroll and wait for it to go into your selection

- You can trigger the AC to turn on by turning the temperature dial all the way down to a point where it will then spring back slightly triggering the AC to turn on
- (one that a lot of people will probably already know) there is a yellow plastic ice scraper included in the fuel cap that can also be used as a magnifying glass if required

- The speed limiter can be overridden (when enabled) by pushing your foot on the accelerator to furthest point and you will feel it 'click' slightly further on the final bit of travel

Feel free to add your own even if it does sound a bit mundane or obvious, as it could help another Briskodian out who might not know about it

Edited by abaday789
  • Like 1

To turn off the climate control, turn the fan button all the way down and it switches off.

Umbrella under the passenger seat.

Start / stop button to switch it off is on the right hand side near the lights

The fog lights switch on by pulling the light control.

'Simply Clever' would have been to be sure that on some Skoda model sold is that the fuel  filler flap does not freeze so you can not get it open in some severe weather conditions.

The other thing is have the ice scrapper inside the car where it is likely to be useful since condensation and freezing inside cars is a continuing issue with many models Skoda build.

If it can be used as a magnifying glass that is 'Simply Clever', you can use it to read the Owners Manual to see why the Stop / Start is disabled yet again.

Maybe not because the ambient temp is too low, just that the vehicles battery and charging system is not up to the electric demand to power the features the vehicle has, like, lights, demister- A/C. rear screen, heater mirrors, radio.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Pressing the volume thumb-wheel in on the steering wheel has no effect whatsoever on my 2015 SE L although it did mute and turn the radio off on my earlier Elegance Mark 2.  Maybe Skoda have decided to re-introduce this feature?

4 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

read the Owners Manual to see why the Stop / Start is disabled yet again.

Maybe not because the ambient temp is too low, just that the vehicles battery and charging system is not up to the electric demand to power the features the vehicle has, like, lights, demister- A/C. rear screen, heater mirrors, radio.

You can check it out on the super-informative Laser Display Screen in the middle.

For instance, when mine won't stop the running engine, it's usually because the engine must be running.

Just not in the 'going around, expending fuel' sense -- obviously.

• Like 1

I was disappointed to see that on the hatchback, the rear seat bench doesn't fold up / collapse in order to make a flat loading area when you have the rear seats down. Apparently this is only possible on the Estate version. On the plus side, there's still plenty of space once the seats are down!

The little slot near the door on the rear seat is for the seat-belt plug to clip into when the seats are down - it keeps the belt out of the way, and makes it much easier when you return the seats to their "up" position.

• Thanks 1

Oh bother 2002 9N Polo had these slots for the seat belts when the back was folded down, but due to progress, or something, they seem to be missing on the 6C 2015 Polo! (unless I have become blind)

11 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

'Simply Clever' would have been to be sure that on some Skoda model sold is that the fuel  filler flap does not freeze so you can not get it open in some severe weather conditions.

The other thing is have the ice scrapper inside the car where it is likely to be useful since condensation and freezing inside cars is a continuing issue with many models Skoda build.

If it can be used as a magnifying glass that is 'Simply Clever', you can use it to read the Owners Manual to see why the Stop / Start is disabled yet again.

Had the problem of the filler cap freezing water collects at the bottom of the filler rim and the filler cap freezes to it. Problem solved dry everything and use a silicon spray on hinges and edge of filler rim and edge of filler flap do it before winter arrives.

Joe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is dead easy when you know that and many do after the first time they find out about it, like maybe when they go for an ice scrapper or to fill up with fuel.

They google or ask on forums etc.

If they are quick of mind they might be able to pee on the flap, just remembering the CCTV at 24 hour filling stations, and the chance of it ending up as a viral world wide hit on youtube, especially if a female driver.

Main Dealerships doing 'Free Pre-winter maintenance checks' don't bother with 'SILICONE' / PTFE spray of the hinges or the flaps with catches,

neither do hire car companies in my experience.

On 04/10/2017 at 21:16, JoePeddos said:

Had the problem of the filler cap freezing water collects at the bottom of the filler rim and the filler cap freezes to it. Problem solved dry everything and use a silicon spray on hinges and edge of filler rim and edge of filler flap do it before winter arrives.

Joe

Top knowledge - I'll certainly do that! I was joking with my friends the other day that the ice scraper is a good idea, providing the fuel filler cap doesn't freeze over...

On 06/10/2017 at 08:29, sparckzero said:

Top knowledge - I'll certainly do that! I was joking with my friends the other day that the ice scraper is a good idea, providing the fuel filler cap doesn't freeze over...

I don't know how long you have had your car but this is my 3rd winter coming up. Gave up on the ice scraper the first time I used it and bought a scraper with a handle much easier to use and at least it's in the car. Silicon spray also works on the door seals as well Joe

Sadly, we don't get the ice scraper in Australia. On a happier note - we don't need it. It doesn't get cold enough!

I like the air ventilation outlets under the font seats for the rear passengers (which work when the air control is on "feet"). A pleasant and unexpected discovery.

I  had -25 C in Australia once.

That was cold and windy, I was above Thredbo.

A week earlier in Port Douglas it was + 35 C. 

So a 60 C change/drop in 7 days.

Thanks AG Falco.

Be aware you want 'SILICONE' Spray  not 'SILICON',  they are very different thing, especially the price and where you buy.

A difference of a drop of 60*oC in 7 days it not usually the problem like a 20*oC drop in 12 hours then rise again in the same location which is when freezing up issues are sometimes the issue, 

and which you might think Central European car manufacturers would have vehicles built that suit those conditions, decent heaters / demisters, door seals, 

boots that do not flood etc.

Volvo seem to be able to design cars that suit European and World Market weather conditions, and can deal with a bit of winter without steaming up and then freezing..

On 10/4/2017 at 17:26, sparckzero said:

I was disappointed to see that on the hatchback, the rear seat bench doesn't fold up / collapse in order to make a flat loading area when you have the rear seats down. Apparently this is only possible on the Estate version. On the plus side, there's still plenty of space once the seats are down!

The little slot near the door on the rear seat is for the seat-belt plug to clip into when the seats are down - it keeps the belt out of the way, and makes it much easier when you return the seats to their "up" position.

Didn't know about the slot for seat belts,thanks.

• Like 1

More of a observation rather than a Hint/Trick. 
When main headlights are on the DRLs don't actually turn off but in fact just dim slightly

(I have a Monte Carlo with the LED DRLs so it's quite noticeable in the reflections on the back of cars sometimes)

Edited by abaday789

21 minutes ago, abaday789 said:

More of a observation rather than a Hint/Trick. 
When main headlights are on the DRLs don't actually turn off but in fact just dim slightly

(I have a Monte Carlo so it's quite noticeable in the reflections on the back of cars sometimes)

The DRL's also dim on the side you are indicating on..............night or day

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

On 08/10/2017 at 01:20, AGFalco said:

I  had -25 C in Australia once.

That was cold and windy, I was above Thredbo.

A week earlier in Port Douglas it was + 35 C. 

So a 60 C change/drop in 7 days.

Thanks AG Falco.

Yep, sounds about right! 

We haven't had much rain around our way for a while, so I only just noticed something odd with the wipers today.

I was driving with the wipers in the first "on" low-speed position (not on intermittent), and when I came to a stop at traffic lights the wipers went back to wiping intermittently, but still with the stalk in the "on" position.

Not sure if this is the car being clever or a fault?

25 minutes ago, Shenanigans000 said:

We haven't had much rain around our way for a while, so I only just noticed something odd with the wipers today.

I was driving with the wipers in the first "on" low-speed position (not on intermittent), and when I came to a stop at traffic lights the wipers went back to wiping intermittently, but still with the stalk in the "on" position.

Not sure if this is the car being clever or a fault?

Working correctly, when you set off they go back to wiping properly, you can alter the length of the intermitant wipe with the rocker switch on top of the stalk

Our Fabia MKIII does the same, no auto wipers.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger