The story of the famous DQ200 clutch slip...

krigl

Slipping might be exactly the same.

But the issues 2013-2015 were addressed by VW Group surely. They had issues , pressure, heat, leaking MCU's,

So which plant your DQ200 was built in might be relevant. 

28 variations of the DQ200 are produced.

The mapping of yours will be totally different from those in a Fabia Mk3 with a 1.4TDI from 2014 on.

There is the issues, 2009-2013,  then 2013-2015,  looks another 2015 to present.

Some must straddle one DQ200 problem and another.   

They have lots to explain.   Funnily Technicians or Customers Services can get confused, seems VW like it that way.

Must be 2.5 Million produced by just Skoda now.

ŠKODA produces 1.5 millionth DQ 200 dual-clutch transmission at Vrchlabí plant - ŠKODA Storyboard.mhtml

Edited by AwaoffSki

6 hours ago, kappa85 said:

Sorry, I forgot to say I own a Seat and not a Skoda, but reading here and in other forums slipping problems are more or less the same...

When they replaced clutches they said me they mounted last type of clutches with the last software updates, I wrote official letters to the support (my car has also extended warranty until march 2019) but they say the behavior is normal, it works into "operating ranges"... the last possibility for me is to go to a lawyer, but it will cost me a lot of money...

Can you tell us when your clutch pack was replaced? You may have had the old type of clutch pack fitted. This has happened and frequently clutch slip returns. 

• 2 weeks later...

So anyone done the TPI yet?

Any feedback?

My car had it done this week and from research I could gather, i have got the part 0AM198142G fitted instead of 0AM198142F (TPI), because ETKA showed this part.

Software version is from the OBD11 scan, the same. They said, that they did the SW upgrade, we will see.

Has anyone any info of the SW version that should be applied?

Edited by krigl

The SW feels different a little, but it was the same feeling the first time they changed the clutch. 

Obviously only time will tell. 

Looking forward to hear any one else thad had the TPI done also.

The only learning curve that the ECU does is how the clutches are worn and how much pressure it neads for specific torque in every gear. 

Each time after a basic setting was done it took less then 200km for the box to start acting up again with the old clutch. And it took 5000km from a new clutch installed to start showing slip. 

We will see, maybe with the new clutch the original software was good enough. 

• 2 weeks later...

Or you may have had the new software installed with the old clutch to try and help the situation.

Anyhoo, just got my car back from my garage. It now has had all the TPI work carried out to 'cure' the clutch slip issue. The car has been with the garage for 8 days for this to happen. Because they had not carried out work to the Mk3 DQ200 boxes before (mine is the first Mk3 they have come across with the issue) they needed to order in some special tools as well as the new parts from Skoda to allow them to do the work. Everything went smoothly except for having to order some shims which held up the work and caused the delay. No mater, I had a courtesy car to wizz around in. When I collected my car I was told everything was fine and I won't get that issue again. Skoda are confident the problem is fixed. I took the opportunity to speak with the two technicians that worked on my car and both were pleased with Skoda's response and how the car now drives. Skoda appeared to take a considerable interest in my car and gathered lots of info from it. So...I took the car for a 25 mile run to thoroughly test her out. No sign of any clutch slip when cold, and the software was performing very well indeed. In fact I'd say the car is much smoother than previously and gear changes very timely and again smooth! Changes as ever, were imperceptible and sport mode threw me and the car down the road as usual in a very smooth and refined way.  Upon arriving home I had a thorough under the bonnet inspection, as I always do, and made sure all the pipes and bits were in place. They were. No damage or scratches anywhere and the car was presented in a very clean state.  Well done Underwoods Skoda. To say I'm pleased is an understatement. It felt so good to be piloting her again, everything had that nice solid feel and she just goes when you hit the gas! So I guess time will tell if the issue is going to return. 

How is yours Krigl?

• Thanks 1

Im following about 5 threads in different forums about the same problem I have a VW Touran 180ps and the dq200. I received the new latest clutch and a software update mid of April. I was waiting since January for the new clutch.  The first day i thought wow its very smoothly but second day I already felt the slipping again but very minimal. The whole shifting is different i have the feeling it will change gears very late and I think instead of the slipping you feel a minimal hit below. I drove 1000km in the meantime maybe i need to drive much more to make a statement but at the moment Im not satisfied.

Hi guys. Just an update re my new clutches etc. Although my dealer has done a fantastic job, it looks as though the "fix" may not have worked. But I would stress, it's too early for me to make a proper judgement. The clutch is far from being bedded in which means it will be more prone to slip. Coming home late night before last I experienced a short burst of clutch slip in 6th gear whilst driving on the infamous A12 dual carriageway. Motor oil temp at 65c. I asked for more power but without a full kick down. Box remained in 6th gear but clutch slipped. As yet only covered 80 miles. However, after another 1000 miles if it does the same I'll be reporting it to the dealer. Jason, keep in touch re your situation.

Just a further quickie, I was out today in the Fabia and had several cold starts (one early morning after an overnighter), and a very substantial longer run taking in all road types with 5 folks in the car for much of the day. Pleased to report the clutches performed completely normally with no slip. Believe me, I tried to make it slip, but to no avail. The clutch is still bedding in but so far so good. I'm thinking the short burst of slip I experience the other night was purely down to the clutch not being bedded in. But we'll see...watch this space!

Krigl, thank you for the pm with the factory clutch documents. Very helpful.

• Like 1

Well I think it's happening on our Fabia as well. I've been more alert past month because of another issue with clutch / DSG combo. But yesterday I got the clutch to slip in 3rd at around 2500 rpm and again soon after in 4th at around 3000 rpm under load (3/4 throttle). There was also some smell present right after, not much though. I guess a trip back to the dealers is due soon...

HI PekoSI, I replied in your other thread commenting on your clutch slip. However, can I ask you what temperature your engine oil was at when your clutch slipped? The issue I had with clutch slip only occured with the engine oil at or below 60c. It's the same for other folks in this thread too. Mostly, once above that temperature threshold the clutches do not slip. The new clutch packs with a new type of material on the friction discs seems to cure the issue for most folks although one or two on here still seems to be having an issue. I too am waiting to see if mine is truly 'cured', but so far it's fine! Your slippage may be due to the clutch judder you experienced which can cause damage to the friction material on the discs and make the clutch more prone to slipping even when the engine is hot. A new clutch pack should cure both the judder and the slippage.

Yes on cold starts and before everything warms up. It's funny though that sometimes when I start the car the shifts are completely smooth and I can't replicate the slipping either. Then again next time I start it everything is problematic again.

I from the VW board but following your thread too since we have the same DQ200 DSG. I have since 1 month the new clutch including software update. The DSG was behaving strange between 1 to 3 gear it was not really changing smoothly. Yesterday i had my car full with kids and it started to slip again. While holding the gas it slipped multiple times in the 3rd gear switched to the 4th gear and slipped again multiple times. By the way there are plenty other forums complaining about the same problem. Im driving a VW touran with dq200 there are plenty of VW golfs with same dsg with the same problem. Someone just wrote that an expert technician from VW came and analyzed the care the full day and told him thats standard nothing they can do about it.

@all so how many drivers did receive the new clutch in mid april 2018 and have still problem?

Had tpi done about month/1000km ago. Worked for few weeks, but now its slipping again especially with 5th gear when car is cold. Works fine when car heats up. Original clutch eventually slipped when warmed up also. I told this to dealer and they contact factory again. Original clutch worked for about 5000km and then started to slip when cold. About 15000km it slipped even when car fully warmed up.

i see more and more people complaining after new clutch install. my old car had 220000km and the old DSG was shifting like a pro. i would love to get a wet DSG instead of dry. if we consider how many dq200 are on the street im very suprised why we dont have that many complains.

It's actually only a small percentage of vehicles that have the clutch slip problem. Mines had the new clutch pack in late April and aside from a tiny burst of clutch slip in 6th gear the day after having the work done, it's now completely fine. BUT, time will tell if it's a permanent fix. 

^^^ Maybe a small percentage of the couple of thousand DQ200 Skoda produce daily,  but if you have 1 vehicle it will be 100% of the cars you own with the issue 

with the Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Material, Workmanship, Softtware or Hardware fault.

ie, 

Faulty car, DSG needs fixed, VW / Skoda do know and if 99.9 % are without fault, they need to resolve the issue were they are turning out gash ones.

hi all,

after reading countless forums and posts, i want to present to you my faulty dsg 7 gearbox - i am sorry if i have posted this on the wrong part of this forum.

I went to the service, last week, and did a check-up with their tester.

in the picture are the errors that occurred, mentioning that after the mechanic did a car test(aprox 2 km), a second test has been done and the error with No. 3 dissapeared.

Verdict - the clutch must be changed (skoda octavia, 2013, 1.6 tdi, dsg 7).

the only symptome I have noticed, made a "clank" when I slowed down and went into gear 1 and then accelerated and climb in gear 2. The mechanic also observed: a trembling at acceleration + the cluster at stage 2. All this, gathered with the errors on the tester, made him give the verdict above.

If someone is able to "read" the errors, please write here or by private message.

I also look forward to feedback on test results and prices

dsg7 errors - octavia 1.6 tdi 2013.jpeg

Edited by Eskilsson

@All basically i think all the the dq200 have the same issue, i cant believe that only ours. I know some got even a new DSG and the problem still appeard. Its more a question how do you drive/use the car in which region temp/humidity. The only solution for me would be replacing it with a wet DSG.

@Estate Man

Just read the whole 9 pages. 

I have a vrs mk2, and experience clutch slip at 3/4K revs having pulled from 2k revs in say 4th gear, as these cars have a lot of power in all of the Rev range, the only way it’s drivable is in d just normal town driving.  Or flat out redline in every gear. It seems the car has to much torque and makes it slip once hot in the middle Rev range. 

as for warranty it’s a 2011 car with 57k on the clocks so I guess it’s out! 

I’m also from Colchester so only asking as to which dealer you went to and if I’m able to get a new clutch pack I hope. Was there a specific recall for this so I can just call up and ask for it to be done? 

It has been remapped so probably out of any goodwill here but worth a try, i have a friend with the same car same power experience the same thing and it’s not fun anymore.