Travel Assist with traffic sign recognition and display

I have it as an option in my SE Business. I really like having the current road speed displayed in my eye line, you can also have the infotainment alert you in the mfd when you go over the current speed limit or your specified amount over the posted limit.

The sign is displayed on the navigation screen and the Maxidot display between the dials. I upgraded mine to the colour maxidot so the signs are in colour, not sure if they are in colour on the standard maxidot.

The system works well with the variable speed limits on motorways and has not missed one yet even in poor weather.

I haven't yet come across any other signs it displays, no-one yet has given me an answer as to what signs are in the database, even my local dealer. I have contacted Skoda via the website but have not had a reply.

A bonus of selecting this option is you get the same camera which is also used for Lane Assist and High Beam Assist. These additional features can be activated using VCDS rather than paying for them as options.

6 hours ago, kevin defty said:

Anyone got this factory fitted option and can explain what it shows and where please? 

Yes!

B5E-0246.jpeg.d9b799f3fde11e9a6eb50213f438fd4e.jpeg

A and B are the mono MFD, C is the colour version.

When active, Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR) will display up to three road signs at the top of the MFD - B and C.

If two or more restriction signs are active they will overlap and only the first significant sign is clearly visible - C.

Traffic Sign is an option that can be enabled/disabled in the infotainment and, if enabled, can be selected in the MFD's scrolling "Driving Data" menu to clearly display all signs - A.

Road signs that TSR recognises and displays are speed limits and 'no overtaking'. I have yet to see it display any other type of restriction sign. It can recognise conditional limits, such as when wet or during specific times.

The 'when wet' is common in France and Germany.

The time-specific limit can be found on some stretches of motorways in The Netherlands. It won't display the actual time but rather a small clock symbol below the limit sign.

TSR signs can optionally be displayed on the infotainment's navigation map screen.

The road signs overlap on the map screen like they do at the top of the MFD but you can tap on them and they will slide apart for about 20-30 seconds, as shown below.

This example was on the motorway in France and shows the two applicable speed limits, the national limit of 130 km/h and the conditional 'when wet' limit of 110 km/h.

IMG_0451.thumb.jpg.013f31ab8db70cad4b07efa75b52445e.jpg

With TSR enabled you can set an alert if you exceed the detected speed limit by a preset value in the range of 0-9 mph or 0-15 km/h.

It sounds a single beep when you exceed the speed+preset limit and displays an exclamation mark beside the speed limit sign along with a brief MFD message that you've exceeded the limit. The exclamation mark is removed once you drop back below the speed+preset limit. It won't sound or display an alert again unless you've dropped below the speed+preset limit and subsequently exceed it again.

What follows is my personal opinion. To put it in perspective my long distance driving is mostly on the continent. At home I'll generally try to avoid our congested southeast motorway network as much as possible.

Here are a few of my own observations after having used TSR home and abroad over the last two years...

• I noticed when it started to rain significantly in France and the automatic wipers started wiping regularly the 110 km/h limit became the dominant sign that overlapped the 130. Clever!
  • TSR can be fooled - not so clever! On the French motorways there is often a speed limit sign prior to a junction slip-off, usually 90 km/h, with a bent right arrow beneath to indicate it applies to the slip road. TSR has occasionally shown this as being the active speed limit for the main carriageway. Nearer home there is a 40 mph road that then has 20 mph signs as you approach a residential area. These are immediately after a junction on the right where I always turn right and the speed limit is still 40 mph but TSR shows it as a 20 mph limit until it can recognise a 40 mph repeater sign (and due to the poor condition of the signs this can take a while).
  • Germany is the only place where I have seen the derestriction sign appear on the MFD/map.
  • In Germany I have often encountered a speed limit sign with "5 km" (or similar) and an up-arrow to indicate the limit applies for the next 5 kilometres but no derestriction signs at the end of the distance. TSR seems to work it out by itself as it displays the limit for the specified distance then switches back to the derestriction sign.

Like all the "assist" features it aids but does not replace the driver's responsibilities. The best TSR has always existed in cars - the Mk.I eyeball.

At home I tend to take little notice of TSR. I find TSR most useful abroad particularly as a quick reminder on the French and German motorways where speed limits can tend to go up and down like a yoyo, often with long stretches devoid of any repeater signs. A situation where I might start asking myself if I missed the end/change of speed limit but so far TSR has always provided the correct answer.

6 hours ago, kevin defty said:

Its a fairly cheap option,but is it worth having?

That's something you need to decide for yourself. Hopefully I've given you an insight to help you make that decision. :)

Edited by BillyJim

@BillyJim I wonder if TSR can also be controlled by GPS? My display correctly shows a 20 mph speed limit in my neighbourhood even though there are no road signs. Or, if that's not possible, then I've simply not seen the signs. Of all the items that @Gizmo activated for me, that's the one I'm glad I've got.

2 hours ago, freelunch said:

@BillyJim I wonder if TSR can also be controlled by GPS? My display correctly shows a 20 mph speed limit in my neighbourhood even though there are no road signs. Or, if that's not possible, then I've simply not seen the signs. Of all the items that @Gizmo activated for me, that's the one I'm glad I've got.

It certainly is in combination with the GPS, having an Amundsen Infotainment system with the GPS info on an SD Card, I initially ran without the SD Card (dealer forgot to include it) and the difference is very apparent. With TSR only, it needs to see a road sign, in conjunction with the GPS is knows already while the TSR can override the GPS info.

Yes, TSR uses the satnav as the maps files contain limit information for most but not all roads which is why you can have speed limits shown on the map screen without having TSR. TSR overrides the satnav data when it recognises a sign which is mostly ideal, particularly for roadworks, variable speed limits, where limits have changed since map files were published or are simply not included, etc, etc, but it can also cause occasional anomalies like those I mentioned.

12 hours ago, BillyJim said:

Yes!

B5E-0246.jpeg.d9b799f3fde11e9a6eb50213f438fd4e.jpeg

A and B are the mono MFD, C is the colour version.

When active, Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR) will display up to three road signs at the top of the MFD - B and C.

If two or more restriction signs are active they will overlap and only the first significant sign is clearly visible - C.

Traffic Sign is an option that can be enabled/disabled in the infotainment and, if enabled, can be selected in the MFD's scrolling "Driving Data" menu to clearly display all signs - A.

Road signs that TSR recognises and displays are speed limits and 'no overtaking'. I have yet to see it display any other type of restriction sign. It can recognise conditional limits, such as when wet or during specific times.

The 'when wet' is common in France and Germany.

The time-specific limit can be found on some stretches of motorways in The Netherlands. It won't display the actual time but rather a small clock symbol below the limit sign.

TSR signs can optionally be displayed on the infotainment's navigation map screen.

The road signs overlap on the map screen like they do at the top of the MFD but you can tap on them and they will slide apart for about 20-30 seconds, as shown below.

This example was on the motorway in France and shows the two applicable speed limits, the national limit of 130 km/h and the conditional 'when wet' limit of 110 km/h.

IMG_0451.thumb.jpg.013f31ab8db70cad4b07efa75b52445e.jpg

With TSR enabled you can set an alert if you exceed the detected speed limit by a preset value in the range of 0-9 mph or 0-15 km/h.

It sounds a single beep when you exceed the speed+preset limit and displays an exclamation mark beside the speed limit sign along with a brief MFD message that you've exceeded the limit. The exclamation mark is removed once you drop back below the speed+preset limit. It won't sound or display an alert again unless you've dropped below the speed+preset limit and subsequently exceed it again.

What follows is my personal opinion. To put it in perspective my long distance driving is mostly on the continent. At home I'll generally try to avoid our congested southeast motorway network as much as possible.

Here are a few of my own observations after having used TSR home and abroad over the last two years...

• I noticed when it started to rain significantly in France and the automatic wipers started wiping regularly the 110 km/h limit became the dominant sign that overlapped the 130. Clever!
  • TSR can be fooled - not so clever! On the French motorways there is often a speed limit sign prior to a junction slip-off, usually 90 km/h, with a bent right arrow beneath to indicate it applies to the slip road. TSR has occasionally shown this as being the active speed limit for the main carriageway. Nearer home there is a 40 mph road that then has 20 mph signs as you approach a residential area. These are immediately after a junction on the right where I always turn right and the speed limit is still 40 mph but TSR shows it as a 20 mph limit until it can recognise a 40 mph repeater sign (and due to the poor condition of the signs this can take a while).
  • Germany is the only place where I have seen the derestriction sign appear on the MFD/map.
  • In Germany I have often encountered a speed limit sign with "5 km" (or similar) and an up-arrow to indicate the limit applies for the next 5 kilometres but no derestriction signs at the end of the distance. TSR seems to work it out by itself as it displays the limit for the specified distance then switches back to the derestriction sign.

Like all the "assist" features it aids but does not replace the driver's responsibilities. The best TSR has always existed in cars - the Mk.I eyeball.

At home I tend to take little notice of TSR. I find TSR most useful abroad particularly as a quick reminder on the French and German motorways where speed limits can tend to go up and down like a yoyo, often with long stretches devoid of any repeater signs. A situation where I might start asking myself if I missed the end/change of speed limit but so far TSR has always provided the correct answer.

That's something you need to decide for yourself. Hopefully I've given you an insight to help you make that decision. :)

Wow! Thanks for such a comprehensive reply. Speed lo

imits already show on the Columbus satnav but as it is a low cost option and I like gadgetry things I think I will probably go with it. I think I also read an earlier reply that as it uses the same camera as lane and beam assist you can have the auto full beam facility programmed in. I'm going for then L&K so lanes assist will already be available. 

10 minutes ago, kevin defty said:

... as it uses the same camera as lane and beam assist you can have the auto full beam facility programmed in. I'm going for then L&K so lanes assist will already be available. 

TSR can also be retrospectively programmed. Hardware requirements are front camera and SatNav, which your L&K will have. See this thread - tried and tested.

As an early adopter of the Superb III, ordered July 2015 before the September launch, these adaptations were not known which is why I chose many of the factory fitted options, including TSR.

• 1 month later...

I am not sure that it recognises traffic signs at all, I can pass a clear 30 sign and up pops 20, with no visible 20 signs or schools etc.

It only seems to be correct just over half the time.

I chose this option as I thought it would recognize traffic signs. I have only had my car a couple of weeks so a bit more testing required. 

I believe it to be no better than an old GPS based system from 10 years ago.

There's a road in Dundee that runs along side the railway line to Aberdeen which has 70 mph speed limit signs for the trains, the road is a 30 limit.

The Superb regularly displays a 70 sign after passing the signs on the railway and changes back to 30 a few hundred yards along the road.

• Haha 1

Leading to my housing estate (30mph limit) there is a bridge with a 7.5T limit. There is also an end of lorry ban sign like the one below after the bridge. Sometimes mine displays a national limit.

Once in the same area it also displayed 80 MPH. I am not aware of an 80 limit in the UK. My whole area is 30, so there are no 30 signs for it to even get confused with.

UK_traffic_sign_622_2_svg.png

Mine has never displayed the 'National ' speed limit sign. It does show 60 sometimes on a dual carriageway and 70 on single carriageways .

This morning it changed from 60 to 70 and back again when approaching a traffic island with two lanes (not a dual carriageway). It would be better to display just the national sign that it has allegedly recognised. 

I'd like to know precisely how it figures out the variable weather limits. I've been driving with the wipers on and it's still shown 130, but most of the time it seems to take this as a cue (amongst other thing, perhaps) and knocks things down to 110. Presume it uses the rain sensor and the wiper setting as a minimum.

It's pretty accurate however it manages it, pretty much correlates with a 'common sense' idea of when the lower limit applies.

Lovely crossing the border into Germany and seeing the derestricted sign appear too :)

Edited by juux

I think a lot of the speed limits come from the sat nav data rather than the camera.  The road I live in was recently changed to 20mph, and even though there are signs up  the sigb on the dash changes from 60mph to 30mph as I go past the 20 sign (On another note it's not a 60 limit road but a 40 so the camer/data fails there too).

On 27/11/2017 at 23:06, rtj70 said:

Mine recognises signs okay.... sometimes it will see one for a side road at a slight angle and think I am therefore speeding.

Mine must be looking up, I was on the M69 and went under a bridge and it changed from 70 to 30. My camera must be on a drone.

This morning I got a warning that I was over the 30 limit when it was 40. Yesterday it was 40 all the way on that stretch of road. It is a 40 limit. 

On 29/11/2017 at 06:25, roo said:

I think a lot of the speed limits come from the sat nav data rather than the camera.  The road I live in was recently changed to 20mph, and even though there are signs up  the sigb on the dash changes from 60mph to 30mph as I go past the 20 sign (On another note it's not a 60 limit road but a 40 so the camer/data fails there too).

Yes, my thoughts exactly. 

Skoda implies that the car displays signs it sees using the camera.

It seems it may not be true.

On 29/11/2017 at 06:25, roo said:

I think your right Roo but if the TSR gives a wrong speed if you look at the Sat Nav that speed sign is also wrong.  They both, Sat Nav and TSR always show the same speed sign.

3 minutes ago, rtj70 said:

Without TSR, sat nav will display what it has stored for the road. With TSR it will be either what has been spotted by the camera or what is in the sat nav system. 

That's probably why it shows different speed limits. It would be good to turn off the sat nav information when the tsr is purchased. 

I just want it to display the signs it sees. Its use is to be an extra pair of eyes just in case you miss one I assume? Having conflicting information is neither use nor ornament. 

12 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I think your right Roo but if the TSR gives a wrong speed if you look at the Sat Nav that speed sign is also wrong.  They both, Sat Nav and TSR always show the same speed sign.

I did notice that the sat nav limit is the same, so I'd only use it as a guide anyway. 

My gripe is the camera either does not notice some of the speed limit signs or chooses to ignore them. It works quite well in variable limit motorways and most signs though.