My engine

So I ordered a sportline 190 dsg tdi and received it 1st Sept 17. I am underwhelmed by the speed.

The 0-60 figs stated are better than my prev Octy 184 tdi vrs.

But I don't feel it , it hesitates , has satellite delay when full throttle. Sometimes it goes, sometimes it don't.

I was wiped out by a merc a class  with 156 hp and a supposed 0-16 of over 8 secs. Is the auto box ****E!

How do I know , can tell I was given a 190 brake. My thoughts , wot if the dealer ordered a 150 instead.

How would I know. oK the paper work says 190.

I have 1500 miles driven, does it need more to loosen up? 

If you are unsure to the actual power, the sticker that goes u see the boot floor would have the engine power in kw. 

Other than that the audi pedal mod stated above would help with the hesitation of the throttle

How is the mode set?  Sport or Eco?

Not looked on mine but I would expect the sticker to be on the metal under the boot floor.   Sometimes repeated in the front of the service book.

Did you test drive that model before buying?  

I ask because I already had it in my head that I would buy the 150PS TDI Sportline based on my previous experience of the 181/184/190PS VAG TDI unit.  A quick back-to-back test drive of a 150 and 190 proved it for me, the numbers for the 190 just correlate with how actually drives.  The 150 feels much more brisk and willing, the power is more accessible more of the time.  The 190 feels very lethargic and it's only when you work up the revs and/or at license losing speeds does it feel like it's the higher output variant. 

I think people dismiss the 150 on the stats alone and automatically go for the 190. 

I dont know.

My 190 DSG works fine now after approx 5000 km done. At the begining I felt the same way, that is lazy comparing with old VRS tdi -184 HP. The engine loosen up  a little bit and I got used to drive it.

Always using sport setings, also gearbox I push it all the time in S.

I got my Superb yesterday. It's a petrol and 'only' the 150PS 1.4TSI but here's my thoughts on the matter.

1. When I test drove a petrol DSG Superb it had the 220PS engine and the first part of the throttle movement did nothing. Floor it and it accelerated well. So I thought the Audi mod would be high on my list. The 220PS Superb felt like it had less oomph than my A3 1.4 TFSI until you really floored it.

2. But the 1.4TSI engined car seems okay - the first part of throttle movement does something.

So here's what I conclude so far, bearing in mind I only got it yesterday:

1. To keep emissions down on the 220PS for test purposes, they have messed with the throttle, The 1.4 150PS has lower emissions anyway especially with ACT so maybe they didn't need to compromise the throttle.

2. So for a 150PS vs 190PS diesel, maybe the same thinking applies at Skoda. 190PS doesn't really have similar emissions on part throttle unless they 'cheat'.

Personally I'd rather lower MPG and modulate throttle myself. But I'm not going to rush for the Audi throttle mod.

On 18 October 2017 at 00:16, Greezy56 said:

So I ordered a sportline 190 dsg tdi and received it 1st Sept 17. I am underwhelmed by the speed.

The 0-60 figs stated are better than my prev Octy 184 tdi vrs.

But I don't feel it , it hesitates , has satellite delay when full throttle. Sometimes it goes, sometimes it don't.

I was wiped out by a merc a class  with 156 hp and a supposed 0-16 of over 8 secs. Is the auto box ****E!

How do I know , can tell I was given a 190 brake. My thoughts , wot if the dealer ordered a 150 instead.

How would I know. oK the paper work says 190.

I have 1500 miles driven, does it need more to loosen up? 

If you have the AdBlue tank next to the fuel tank, you have a 190.

2 hours ago, rtj70 said:

1. When I test drove a petrol DSG Superb it had the 220PS engine and the first part of the throttle movement did nothing. Floor it and it accelerated well. So I thought the Audi mod would be high on my list. The 220PS Superb felt like it had less oomph than my A3 1.4 TFSI until you really floored it.

my 220 was like that the first couple hundred kms.  tight and unwilling to go.

but after about 1000-1500 kms on the clock, the car has loosened up alot, and i don't have to "punch it" to get moving.

tis much more responsive now, though not feather-touch throttle response.

After 1500km in my 190 4x4 my understanding is that we (190 owners) have to really push the engine to get it going. I don't mind the throttle configuration as it's a matter of self adaption. But and this is a real BUT - Today I'm in my XC70 D4 (181hk straight 5) for a trip to annual service. My good - what a difference in engine performance. I don't say the Volvo is a quicker car but the drivetrain (engine gearbox) is so much more refined the the VAG 190tdi DSG combo.

Low rev grunt is the real killer in Volvo's favour - where a nudge of the throttle is suffiecent to get the Volvo rushing away @ 1400rpm (Volvo has an estimated 50% longer travel way of pedal) I have to floor the Skodas pedal to get the same "oumph". In gear acceleration same thing - D4 is superior.

But fuel efficiency you say - With the same circumstances the 190 wants 0,5 l/10km and the D4 0.54l (Volvo measured at pump, not Skoda). So - with the extra weight of the Volvo I would say that effiency is about the same in both cars.

And the punchline - I still rather drive the Skoda - the XC70 is just really boring to drive :)

• Like 1

Also drove a 2015 model v70 D4 awd a few weeks back (181hp i think). I also felt the power in the volvo was delivered lower down, making me wonder if it was the quicker car, but when pushed on hard the revs fell away. It was only then i could feel the difference, realising that the Superb is quicker. Just set up differently.

If you want the power you gotta push it. And it comes...

Btw I own a 190 4x4 (2017).

Oh, as a side note; the Volvo also had some creaks and rattles! Made me smile...

Edited by englishswede

1 minute ago, englishswede said:

Oh, as a side note; the Volvo also had some creaks and rattles! Made me smile...

Haha yes - as for now the Volvo creaks a lot more than the Superb - it has always creaked a little bit :)

But you're probably right about the different mapping of the cars. The D4 is a D5 with a mapping that strangles it at high revs compared to D5.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jaytip said:

If you have the AdBlue tank next to the fuel tank, you have a 190.

MY2018 150's with DSG or 4x4 now have AdBlue.