Octy II VRS Diesel

I understand it will be 170bhp - the new PD engine with piezo electric injectors. :thumbup:

The new PD 2.0 16 valve engine is all revised it avails mechanical basis of the 2.0 140BHP engine including new piezo pumpe duse injectors, Electronic Diesel Control ECU software upgrde and diesel particulate filter 170bhp engine/125Kw should be fun.

I read that there is going to be a Seat Altea FR out (March/April I think) with the 170bhp diesel. Nothing on their web-site about it yet though.

I guess this might be the same lump that they have planned for the Octy II

FR Review from Top Gear

At the end of Seat's press conference to introduce the new Altea FR, during which it mentioned the Formula Racing badge many times, a Romanian hack stuck his hand up and asked what FR stood for.

Like being back in Primary 3, there was a round of s******s at the Romanian's lack of hearing or understanding, or both.

Looking back, I now find myself asking the same question: what does FR really stand for? I know what it's an abbreviation of; I just can't get my head round Seat's hot-hatch tag being stuck on a diesel-powered MPV.

There may be 168bhp and 258lb ft of torque, but 0-62mph in 8.6secs ain't fast in the hot hatch world these days, especially when the Spanish firm will relieve you of £18,000 for the privilege. A Focus ST comes with 222bhp, 0-62 in 6.8secs and costs £500 less.

What is Seat playing at? Well, the company's keen to get the drop on the competition, so it has introduced the Altea FR with a diesel first. Thankfully, a petrol version will be along later this year with the Golf GTI's 197bhp two-litre motor.

In the meantime, the 2.0 turbodiesel goes head-to-head with the Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 T SRi.

Seat has modified the turbo, air intake and injectors of the VW Group 2.0 turbodiesel to realise 168bhp and push torque up by 22lb ft to 258lb ft. Other changes include a ride height lowered by 7mm, hip-nipping front seats and obligatory white-faced instruments.

The stiffened-up ride is no worse than an Altea in Sport trim, so it's firm but fair on cracked roads, while keeping the body well in check through corners.

There's also a whole load of grip, although accelerating away from the lights or out of tight turns, the diesel's hefty tug from low revs has the front wheel clawing for grip like a dog on linoleum.

There's no doubting the handling side is well taken care of and rapid cross-country drives are there for the taking, but the diesel engine still jars with the concept of a hot hatch in the Altea.

The six-speed gearbox has a decent shift, but it's best left in a higher gear to surf the torque, and that isn't much fun in a hot hatch.

This leaves me wondering not what FR stands for, but why it was attached to this car. Without the badge, I'd be thinking it was a stealthy and frugal way to travel fast. But the FR spec raised my hopes and the Altea FR has not risen to meet them.

Don't worry too much, reviews of the 170 bhp version of the 2.0l engine have not been too kind. Every one I have read says stick with the 140 as it's not as peaky and much smoother. Get the 140 remapped properly and you would have a just as powerful yet smoother engine (if done properly)

Autocar seemed to think it was stronger, smoother and quieter, so I wonder if the delayed launch in the Passat was to sort out the earlier problems that you mentioned earlier.

I’d like to tweak the power output of my soon to be delivered Octy, but I think the DSG gearbox is near its limit for torque. Don’t know if anyone can boost the power while leaving the maximum torque roughly the same??

Autocar seemed to think it was stranger' date=' smoother and quieter, so I wonder if the delayed launch in the Passat was to sort out the earlier problems that you mentioned earlier.[/size']

I’d like to tweak the power output of my soon to be delivered Octy, but I think the DSG gearbox is near its limit for torque. Don’t know if anyone can boost the power while leaving the maximum torque roughly the same??

You can get the 2.0 TDI with DSG mapped no problem, the only thing is they have limit the power and torque - which means you get around 180bhp and 300ish lb/ft rather than the possible 200bhp and 350ish lb/ft you'd get with a manual (Anyway, that's what my Dad got told when he had is 2.0TDI with DSG mapped)

Edit: Personaly I'd save the cash that any TDI VRS would cost (bet it will be in the region of £18.5k) and go for the Sport with a decent re-map

Popped into my dealers today to talk about my annual service and got to talking about the new octy vrs. He confirmed the diesel is on its way 160bhp. No info on expected pricing though.

Anyone else heard this?

Skoda UK has not announced to UK dealers that they are getting a 2.0 16v TDi (170bhp) vRS. In fact they haven't even announced a vRS diesel or a DSG for that matter. It is purely speculation, however it is very possible.

Vauxhaull are doing a very limited run of something they've called the "Astra 888". Based on a 1.9 diesel I think, but tweaked by Triple Eight tuning gurus, to close to 200bhp. See last week's AutoExpress, which also mentions the Altea FR in the same article.

EDIT: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/previews/64762/vauxhall_astra_triple_eight.html

Pity it's white though - with a remapped turboweasel, that rear valance won't stay that colour for long *cough*

EDIT VIDEO LINK: http://www.thurlbymotors.net/media/video/astra.wmv

Si

Exactly - 2.0 TDI (140bhp) Sport, cost approx £15k

I actually looked at the Sport, I really liked it but what I really needed on this occassion was the roominess of the estate and false boot floor. Also went for the 1.9 rather than the 2.0, partly because it cost a lot less and mainly because 1.9 gives more mpg, have to confess drove my previous Fabia VRS fast at times but generally did a steady speed to work and back as so many speed cameras regularly on this route.