I hate the Yeti vague loss of tyre pressure alert

gumdrop

Hurtling home today the loss of air pressure alert came on. I pulled over and checked the tyre pressures.

my very accurate tyre gauge showed no difference in the two sets of pressures.

Why oh Why couldn't I have a proper indicator that shows which wheel has the wounded tyre. Other

less interesting Skodas have the better kit why?

So if you pulled over and checked the pressure when hot are you going to check when cold if it was cold tyres that you set the pressure at and set the TPMS?

Just a system to show punctures where run flat tyres are used and nice and cheap for Skoda to use / adopt.

Pressures still need setting and checking regularly as they can drop and the TPMS not pick up on that, 

or as you know give false warnings, 

but that is good, it might have some check and set tyre pressures as weather / seasons change.

PS

Which less interesting Skoda models have better kit / system?

They are maybe not ones that are discontinued from production and have no replacement planned.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Nothing is perfect, but does the system work for others?

Mine has what I am guessing is a glitch and gone off once, when on the M6 and I could not pull over for a fair few miles. This is a journey I have made in the car possibly 10 or 12 times so the arguement about increased pressure due to tyres warming up would not hold up.

I left the motorway asap and pulled over. I could see no problem I used my pressure gauge and each tyre was running an even 1 to 2 psi higher than when set . I then rolled the car back and forth and could find no damage. With that I pressed my tyre pressure set button and carried on.

Colin

I had one or two erroneous TPMS alarm activations on my Yeti and unfortunately I have had similar issues once or twice on both my new CR-V's, although the problem on my latest CR-V has been solved with a software update.  Both systems appear pretty basic to me so I bought myself a TyrePal monitoring system.  This gives a continuous readout of both the pressure and temperature of all 4 tyres on an individual basis.  

Therefore if the car system alarms I just check the TyrePal monitor and if OK just keep driving until convenient to re-set the car system.   It also means that physical checking of tyre pressures is a thing of the past for me.

Edited by x19
Typo
  • Like 1

As above, I currently use a Steel Mate system, but my previous Tyrepal detected 2 out of 3 puncture fairly quickly and I was able to get both tyres repaired. It failed to detect the third puncture as there was no loss of pressure. 

Having that system fitted now means I conduct tyre pressure checks monthly, instead of weekly. 

19 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

Awaiting the flack, but what a petty complaint!
The system works and works well as far as I am concerned; it tells you there is a problem so you have to get out and check them all.

Exactly my experience too. Never had erroneous alarms but have had two or three occasions where it has usefully alerted me to a slow puncture.

I don't think its particularly petty. It's annoying and distracting to keep getting false alarms. And it leads to ignoring it, even though one day it could be real.

It seems that this feature varies in sensitivity, or our roads vary a lot.  My alarm trips about every third journey, usually after going over a rough patch of road. For the first few months I'd check tyre pressures, but they were never unequal.  After that I'd sometime look at the tyres, although I know that doesn’t show much.  I've asked at each service for it to be desensitised, but they have no idea what to do, and don't know how to disable it.

But last week after I'd ignored the alarm that went off within a mile of home I noticed that the car was steering to the left.  Just looking at the tyres was enough - a front one was flat.  That was my first puncture in 20000 miles or so. I'm glad I had the spare wheel in the boot - it's 20 miles to the nearest man who does tyres. Luckily it was just a sharp stone, still stuck in the centre of the tread, and easily repaired for £10.

I'll still ignore the frequent warnings, although I'll feel for steering drift or extra pothole sensitivity, and have a look after 10 miles or so.

I also agree that it's not a petty complaint.

Mine went off once when the tyre pressures were fine and then awhile later when I did have a puncture. Got the puncture fixed and a few weeks later when driving home it went off again. First thought was that the repair was faulty and as it was dark and I was in the middle of nowhere my stress levels rose.

But when I got home (driving gingerly) I checked the pressures and the tyres and all were fine.

Probably better to have it rather than not but its basic nature means that it is inconsistent and cries wolf which isn't good.

TBH, I would not assume that the "proper" tyre sensor versions are any better, I have had 2 cars with the "proper" version, and they were both dreadful, more often than not on starting in the morning to find one or more wheels missing on the display , or showing RED ... on checking , as I had not noticed any bricks ... the wheels were there ... big surprise, and were well within the pressure limits on checking the RED displays ..... on either car they never worked properly and that was after several software/firmware reloads and sensor changes .... one was a Renault and the other a BMW .... TBH, the Yeti "simple" system has caused much less bother than the all singing and dancing proper versions .... tbh, punctures excluded, just check your tyres regularly, along with the oil, coolant, screenwash and fuel ... its not rocket science.

;)

1 hour ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Maybe a good idea to have the fault diagnosed then rectified, because there is a fault if you are following the setting of the TPMS procedure.

I agree with George.  The systems worked perfectly on my two previous Roomsters and on my current Yeti.

• 3 months later...

When asked about any other issues at my first service on the yeti  I asked for the tyre pressure warning to be investigated.

upon returning to the dealership to collect my yeti the service manager , going through the invoice as they do, pointed out that the sensor was fine ,the warning light coming on because of a change in tyre temperatures,this affecting the pressure. fair enough it was January .

Basically she was saying 

"they all do that". Characteristic of the vehicle!

Still have to reset system on a weekly basis which I suppose is a good thing as it makes me check my tyre pressure regularly. 

• Like 1

On 21/11/2017 at 12:33, dutyhog said:

I don't think its particularly petty. It's annoying and distracting to keep getting false alarms. And it leads to ignoring it, even though one day it could be real.

It seems that this feature varies in sensitivity, or our roads vary a lot.  My alarm trips about every third journey, usually after going over a rough patch of road. For the first few months I'd check tyre pressures, but they were never unequal.  After that I'd sometime look at the tyres, although I know that doesn’t show much.  I've asked at each service for it to be desensitised, but they have no idea what to do, and don't know how to disable it.

But last week after I'd ignored the alarm that went off within a mile of home I noticed that the car was steering to the left.  Just looking at the tyres was enough - a front one was flat.  That was my first puncture in 20000 miles or so. I'm glad I had the spare wheel in the boot - it's 20 miles to the nearest man who does tyres. Luckily it was just a sharp stone, still stuck in the centre of the tread, and easily repaired for £10.

I'll still ignore the frequent warnings, although I'll feel for steering drift or extra pothole sensitivity, and have a look after 10 miles or so.

Showing the value of Always specing the spare wheel. I always get a spare if none is standard

The Service manager should have been aware that if the temperature had affected all 4 tyres and they went down or up by the same pressure as when the TPMS was set and the tyres circumference measured there would maybe not be a warning, 

but if the pressures were set and had dropped and then tyres were heating differently and expanding that can give a warning.

So check the tyres cold outside, and set the TPMS.  and check tyres regularly to see the pressures stay as set.

Some Service Managers & Workshop managers should be a bit more on the ball checking or have employees checking 

vehicles tyre pressures at PDI's, Services, noting the pressure they set the tyres to, and resetting the TPMS.

Obviously by the way cars are turned out, used,new & as demonstrators it is something not high on their rigorous workshop safety checks.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Only time I’ve had alerts with mine were just after the front tyres were replaced. Set TPMS not had a problem since in just over 1000 mile

Edited by Mikek3111

Could very well have been that. They were replaced at service at main dealer so I would have thought they would have reset but warning came on after about 3 mile on way home, set tpms no alerts since

The beauty of the system is that it shows that 'they' often do not think, do not set tyres at safe pressures, and reset TPMS, 

so the warning should alert, check the wheel bolts as well, because they can be careless with those.

So you hand the car to full time professionals, pay them and you and your nearest and dearests lives are in their hands,

you have to check the work as soon as you collect a vehicle to be sure they have Service Managers & Workshop managers training staff 

to do the job properly.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

Systems always worked well for me. We had an Octavia which told you which tyre was at fault, but sensibly you'd check all the wheels anyway. Spacesaver spare plays havoc if you have to use it though.

1 hour ago, Bowdie said:

Spacesaver spare plays havoc if you have to use it though.

That should be no problem if you reset the TPMS when you put it on.

• Like 2

appreciate that but when I've sat beside a busy road changing the wheel, I'm too stressed the think logically