Automatic Supplementary Heater

When I got my car I noticed a new setting that wasn't on my 14 plate Octavia Elegance.  In the A/C settings there is 'Automatic Supplementary Heater'. 

I was surprised to see this because I've not seen any info about it before, other than Auxiliary Heating, which is different.

Well, now the cold weather is here, I've noticed just how good it is.  My 2014 2.0l TDI O3 took forever to warm up during the winter, whereas my new '67 2.0l TDI SE-L takes about 30 seconds before it starts blowing warm air.  Its so much better, cant believe its not mentioned in more places (or anywhere for that matter - its not even in the manual!).

IMG_4262.JPG

I have this on a 2017 1.5TSi SE L DSG Hatchback - car does heat up quickly. My previous Octavia a 2.0TDi DSG Estate took several miles and about 10 minutes before appreciable warmth came through. Also noticed on the TSi that the water temperature is at 90 in less than a mile (this must be the supplementary heater) compared to the TDi 4 or 5 miles. A great improvement all round.

Edited by YMe
Making some sort of sense.

10 hours ago, YMe said:

I have this on a 2017 1.5TSi SE L DSG Hatchback - car does heat up quickly. My previous Octavia a 2.0TDi DSG Estate took several miles and about 10 minutes before appreciable warmth came through. Also noticed on the TSi that the water temperature is at 90 in less than a mile (this must be the supplementary heater) compared to the TDi 4 or 5 miles. A great improvement all round.

In both instances these comparisons are warm up times between petrol engines vs diesel engines.

Never been a sensible comparison really. Sorry to point this out.

My SE 1.4Tsi does not have that option under Climatronic.  :sadsmile: Has the option for automatic air circulation though. No idea when that kicks in, my Hyundai SIII coupe had a hydrocarbon pollution detector iirc and switched once when the car was getting fumy.

4 hours ago, Tilt said:

In both instances these comparisons are warm up times between petrol engines vs diesel engines.

Never been a sensible comparison really. Sorry to point this out.

Wasn't comparing in that sense just pleasantly surprised after 12 years or diesel. I'd forgotten how fast petrol engines warm up although the supplementary heater helps in this respect I don't know.

Noticed this morning once the engine is running the needle can be seen to move to the 90 position within a few minutes. When I first got the car I was concerned about this and checked coolant levels but they were OK and have been rock solid since.

2 hours ago, gregoir said:

my Hyundai SIII coupe had a hydrocarbon pollution detector iirc and switched once when the car was getting fumy.

I had one of those (an optional extra) on my previous Audi B7 RS4 - it worked fine when the car in front was a petrol but it didn't detect the emissions from any diesel so we still had to manually select recirculation mode, so I won't bother paying extra for the option again.

So does the 1.4Tsi engine have this heater in some applications? I suspect it is a diesel only thing. Having had an Octavia diesel I'm well aware of the slow diesel warm up sagas.

On 11/20/2017 at 13:05, gregoir said:

My SE 1.4Tsi does not have that option under Climatronic.  

Cos it's a petrol. Warms up fast enough. Doesn't need one. Although it seems some petrol's have it.

Edited by Tilt