Speed camera POIs in Columbus (a new guide)

A bit disappointing that all you get is a *bing* sound, no other visual alerts or a message or anything like that. Just a zoomed up icon with the icon label would do it.

I got it to work by using the MyDestinations function on Skodas update portal by the way. Really intuitive besides the 39x39 pixels requirement on the cam icon.

Edited by jaggafredde

22 minutes ago, jaggafredde said:

I got it to work by using the MyDestinations function on Skodas update portal by the way. Really intuitive besides the 39x39 pixels requirement on the cam icon.

That’s great Škoda must have got it working again!!

2 minutes ago, atki81 said:

That’s great Škoda must have got it working again!!

Yup! 

I actually ordered a SD card with a speed cam update file, for €70, which didn’t work (grrr), before simply trying the Skoda website. 

But like I said I wish the alert was more visual, the cam icon on the MFD display or a big cam icon on the map at the moment the *bing* happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I've read as best I can this whole post and I can't seem to find any reference to the Warning Distance settings (if there is any?) for approaching a POI. For example you would want a decent warning when approaching a POI, not when one is right in front of you or your just passing it ! Can anyone please point me in the right direction.

24 minutes ago, Gordon13 said:

Hi everyone, I've read as best I can this whole post and I can't seem to find any reference to the Warning Distance settings (if there is any?) for approaching a POI. For example you would want a decent warning when approaching a POI, not when one is right in front of you or your just passing it ! Can anyone please point me in the right direction. 

The Columbus doesn't support this. All it does it detect you are approaching a POI and do a beep, even if the POI is on a completely different road.

There are some interesting looking options in the database for having different warning messages for each POI. But as far as I can tell it ignores them :sadsmile:

And on and on.

Been trying for several weeks on and off to get the poi file for the Amundsen Columbus 2016 MIB 2.

I managed to create one a couple of weeks ago but it would not load into the sat nav. 

Tried again today as I had a day with no jobs on, anyway :-

1   Downloaded CONSOLIDATED file from Pocketgps world in *.GPX format ( ok )

2   Extract file and remove *.BMP files  ( ok )

3   Download new *.BMP files        ( ok )

4   Go to  SKODA MY DESTINATIONS and inport files and bitmaps  ( ok )

5   Create POI files  ( not working  )

Tried again with same file from Pocketgps world, this time with original *.BMP files but still not creating files.

Is the portal down or is there something else I am missing ?

I have had to use SpeedcamUpdates.com for the sat nav files, the files works every time with a BOING before the cams but they are not consolidated and I am sure some are missing.

Ready.JPG

steady.JPG

skoda.JPG

Edited by dasower
pictures too small

I had some luck with the Skoda site a few days ago, however I was not happy with the icons so I tried again today, doing exactly the same as last time, and today I'm having no luck in getting the site to create the converted files. So in short, I believe the site to be down. I'll give it a few days and try again. 

14 minutes ago, Gordon13 said:

I had some luck with the Skoda site a few days ago, however I was not happy with the icons so I tried again today, doing exactly the same as last time, and today I'm having no luck in getting the site to create the converted files. So in short, I believe the site to be down. I'll give it a few days and try again. 

Yeah it doesn’t work here either at the moment. Previously it would only crash when saving down the database in Google Chrome but it would work in Internet Explorer, but today I get the same crash in both browsers.

• 2 weeks later...

and on and on

So I think my problem apart from not doing computer sciences, was that I was trying run the destination import and other files for the destination creator from the SD card.

I have done the same process again using files located in a directory on the hard drive and that seems to give me the POI file download every time ( result Ya )

But,  now I have the POI file extracted to the SD card and have run the poifix.py script which appears to give the correct screen display of things being done, when I put the SD card into the Amundsen I get an indication that there is an update and proceed to the manage memory section, then select to continue, the Amundsen stops with an error saying the media has been removed, very strange.

I have tried this process several times with the same result, just going to try with another SD card tomorrow as this is getting to much for an old SKODA owner.  

Any advice appreciated.

As a footnote if PocketGPSworld could integrate their CamerAlert into Android Auto then that would be brilliant as it is a great app, even my good lady likes it.

If you created you file using the "Skoda My Destinations" web site, after you choose the files you want to convert; but before you actually convert those files, there is the option for "make a sound" (or some description like that) near the top right of the box. You can also select or change the icon which represents that location at the bottom of the box. You then proceed to the conversion to a file that your car GPS will accept. But for what its worth, its only a "Bong" and it only makes that sound once. At first before I realised what the Bong was for, I thought it was a warning of something wrong with the car. :doh:

Hope this helps 

On 13/09/2018 at 08:05, Gordon13 said:

If you created you file using the "Skoda My Destinations" web site, after you choose the files you want to convert; but before you actually convert those files, there is the option for "make a sound" (or some description like that) near the top right of the box. You can also select or change the icon which represents that location at the bottom of the box. You then proceed to the conversion to a file that your car GPS will accept. But for what its worth, its only a "Bong" and it only makes that sound once. At first before I realised what the Bong was for, I thought it was a warning of something wrong with the car. :doh:

Hope this helps 

Yes i have created my poi from skodas site and have ticked the box for make a sound but only for speedcams not for the speedbumps that i also included in my pois. I have not heard any sound when passing a camera but maybe i have had the music to loud.

I have a question about the icon connected to the pois. I think my logo is a bit small, made it 39*39 pixels. What is the original size and the maximum size i can use?

Sorry for my english

52 minutes ago, dirtan said:

Yes i have created my poi from skodas site and have ticked the box for make a sound but only for speedcams not for the speedbumps that i also included in my pois. I have not heard any sound when passing a camera but maybe i have had the music to loud.

I have a question about the icon connected to the pois. I think my logo is a bit small, made it 39*39 pixels. What is the original size and the maximum size i can use?

Sorry for my english

Try theses... HQ bmp's

Gatso.bmp

Mobile.bmp

pocketgps_uk_pmobile.bmp

Redlight.bmp

Specs.bmp

• 2 weeks later...

My dad has bought the kodiaq edition model and we have tried today to upload the speed cameras from the Skoda poi site. It extracts them down to a usb with 3 folders and a meta info. Text file attached. We’ve tried removing this meta file, copied the meta file from the personal poi folder and left it next to the 3 folders. When it comes to loading the info to Columbus unit it reads the usb finds the speed camera folder starts then stops saying software error press ok or details. If we press either the screen goes blank then warning comes up on the dash saying ring workshop there is a fault.

what are we doing wrong, it’s like it’s really trying and gives up at the first hurdle. Thankyou

So i've tried the various fixes writing out the python thing, cant get it to work, whenever i try on the skoda site i get that yellow screen with all the errors. Is their a really simple layman's terms so us numpties can click on simple things and get it to work please

• Like 1

3 hours ago, s30jok said:

So i've tried the various fixes writing out the python thing, cant get it to work, whenever i try on the skoda site i get that yellow screen with all the errors. Is their a really simple layman's terms so us numpties can click on simple things and get it to work please

If you are using Windows go to Ashhere's post dated 15 June and follow the instructions there.

If you are using a Mac 

1. Download the chosen files for your location from Pocket GPS World in ”Other - GPX” format. 

2. Unzip these files to a location on your computer. 

3. Go to the directory in which you unzipped the files and delete any existing .bmp files.  Copy the .bmp files that I provided in my post dated 10 June to that same directory. 

4.  Go to Skoda My Destinations site here:

http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs and click "List of My Destinations"

3. Run the “Import a new collection of POIs” tool.  Click on “Choose” and the navigate to the directory to which you extracted the files from Pocket GPS World. Choose the first .gpx file. Give the collection an appropriate name (eg Gatso) and then choose the matching .bmp image for selected  gpx file. Select “Process” 

You should see some numbers in “List of my destinations” box if process has been successful. 

4. Repeat process in Point 3. above for any additional for each .gpx file that you have in that directory.  (As you process each pair of gpx and bmp files you should see you numbers in “List of my destinations” increase.  When you are complete you should see similar to below.

5. Select “Save my list of PPOI.  Choose a name for your consolidated list when prompted.  (This name will be the prefix on the zip file that this process creates). Select “Save”

6. Unzip the file.

7. Download the latest version of Python for Mac which you can get here https://www.python.org/downloads/

8. I chose to create a file in my documents called Python and put Flumpie's poifix.py file in there but you can put it anywhere you like.

9. I then created another file in my documents called POIchange and put the metainfo.txt file and Personal POI from Skoda in there. 

10. Go to Launchpad and open a Terminal window

11. In the Terminal Window type python3 /users/my name/documents/python/poifix.py /users/my name/documents/poichange/personalPOI/MIB2/MIBHIGH (my name is the root name of your documents folder) Note the space before users.

In simple terms if you don't want to use my file structure do the following

python3 /path/to/poifix.py /path/to/PersonalPOI/MIB2/MIB2HIGH

12.The program will run, the files will be corrected and you can then copy the metainfo.txt and PersonalPOI files to an SD card and insert it in your Columbus.

I also have CleanMyDrive2 installed on my Mac and generally use this to clear any junk files from the SD card after I have copied across the files.

I am not sure whether this is strictly necessary.

I did put these instructions on here on 27 June but I have just realised that I made an error by calling a file POIfix instead of POIchange.

Many apologies to those who may have followed my previous instructions and failed.

• Thanks 1

I should have added to the above that once you have successfully imported the POI's to your Columbus you need to go to Map settings to make sure the POI's are shown by ticking the appropriate box for each POI.

Ok ive got windows so ive tried everything to the letter but when i get to saving my pois on the skoda site i get the yellow screen with loads of error messages as posted by someone previously

image.thumb.png.83b0d356d99c26206fdb82b866e7bdae.png

33 minutes ago, s30jok said:

Ok ive got windows so ive tried everything to the letter but when i get to saving my pois on the skoda site i get the yellow screen with loads of error messages as posted by someone previously

image.thumb.png.83b0d356d99c26206fdb82b866e7bdae.png

You are correct. The Skoda site has got the gremlins yet again. It keeps doing this and last time I spent a long time onto Skoda Customer Service to explain the issue. Eventually they sorted it out but it just seems to recur again without warning.

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, KickingupDust said:

Quick question, how can I delete the added speed camera POI & stop the car beeping every time I approach one?

TIA

If you want to delete them altogether, the manual says use "Navigation - Settings - Manage Memory - Delete my POIs" in the infotainment. From memory you can just untick the cameras from the list of POIs in the nav section, which leaves them in memory but stops them appearing, in case you want to use them again at some point. If you want to keep the icons but remove the beep, untick the "audible alert" box (or something similar - not near my car right now so can't check) for the camera POI.

• Like 1

I've just been contributing to another thread about the Skoda POI creator now working. But when I tried to install it on my Superb 3 Columbus it didn't work and came up with

"There has been an error"

"The screen will now go blank to avoid corruption"

and the infotainment system rebooted.

The other thread is this one 

However.... I subsequently dug out my original memory stick with the updated metainfo2 file from Rainmakers excellent thread (this one). The data on it had been created using VWs now defunct POI creator website.

This particular memory stick had just PersonalPOI folder in the root as well as the metainfo2 file outlined on this thread.

What I then did is copy the same folder that I created using the now working Skoda POI generator directly over the top of the existing PersonalPOI folder on the original memory stick - it actually overwrote 5 files - I use the Garmin .gpx export from PocketGPS world which is actually 5 categories (UK_Specs, UK_Redlight, UK_Mobile, UK_PMobile and UK_Gatso). 

Then I put the USB stick into the car and it imported 100%. New updates to the SpeedCameras that I know about from PocketGPSWorld then appeared and showed up correctly.

So if you have an old copy of a working PersonalPOI file it is worth a go trying out the Skoda POI site. I can't supply mine as it would be a breach of my T&Cs with PocketGPSWorld so don't ask.

Also thanks to @DrCorbyLee for a heads up to the poinspect0r  shareware software located here https://poinspect0r.blogspot.com/. That also looks very promising (not fully looked at it yet) for a minimum of €9 contribution to the author to unlock it. This may become the only way to update a VW group infotainment system sat nav unit.

Edited by TerryMcK