Speed camera POIs in Columbus (a new guide)

I’ve finally got this to work on the touchscreen version of Columbus.

firstly after you download the Columbus friendly file from vw you need to extract all the files before copying these files plus  metainfo2.txt on sd card.

now follow the instructions to add on to your skoda.

when you get to map settings you have to touch ‘select categories for pois’ for the option to choose which pois to show on your map.

The cameras will now appear on the maps. 

Regarding The notifications, the sat nav will make what I can call an ‘eighties video game bing noise/bing!’

I reckon you you still do this via Skoda connect (I’ve not tried this yet) but you may experience problems with lack of memory 

Hope this helps?

The notification sound is like a ping (a little bit like when your iPhone bings when you get an email).  I was driving my car and couldn’t work out what this sound was before I managed to get the cameras to appear in my maps. 

Im wondering if you need the metainfo2.text file for the sound to work? 

Many thanks Rainmaker for a comprehensive guide, I tried loading the data a couple of times using an sd card without any luck where as via usb stick first time:biggrin:. As I’ve the 9.2” Columbus with data sim I thought this week I would try the ŠkodaConnect route which seems also to have worked including your better looking icons. Here I followed mr.nik additional guide so its download data, unzip, upload to ŠkodaConnect site, Columbus, Skoda connect, uploads, services packs my POIs, select new POIs, Download and that’s it.:biggrin:

Thanks also go to mr.nik as this for me seems to be an easier route without the extra visit to the VW site.

• Like 1

An excellent, well-written and illustrated guide. Thank you very much indeed. The Pocket GPS World Speed Camera Database is excellent - and I was fortunate, when I added a camera some years ago, to win a free lifetime subscription (it's just 12 months now). However, it's a shame that the audible warning in the Columbus is inadequate - but if you want a bells-and-whistles approach the best bet is to buy one of the older TomTom 1000 or 750 GO Live units (still available new from some suppliers). Unlike all the modern TomTom units you can add your POIs and put in, via a screen keyboard, a clear spoken warning e.g. Mobile 50 mph 1000 yards. The mobile phone App Waze is also useful, but I find it unreliable as to mobile sites - though no doubt it will improve. It's such a shame that TomTom deleted so many of the very useful features from their newer units, for by now I would probably have bought several of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

First, thank you @Rainmaker for your excellent guide and also @mr.nik for the alternative installation from skoda connect (I also can use this).

I have only one question. Someone have managed to put voice alert in the speedcams approach?

Thank you and regards,

Tiago

On 26/04/2018 at 11:06, tmteixeira said:

Hello All,

First, thank you @Rainmaker for your excellent guide and also @mr.nik for the alternative installation from skoda connect (I also can use this).

I have only one question. Someone have managed to put voice alert in the speedcams approach?

Thank you and regards,

Tiago

Not as far as I'm aware, Tiago. Sorry. Also, apologies for the delay in replying to you. I've been rather busy and haven't been on the forum lately.

On 04/03/2018 at 20:45, kevin defty said:

Hi Rainmaker 

great guide! 

We have a Skoda Columbus system and a VW one in my wife’s golf. Am I correct in thinking that for the golf we just leave metainfo2.txt  in place ? And do the process twice? 

Also what size sd card will I need? 

Just subscribed to pocketgps so once my payment is confirmed I can download the files. 

I’m downloading and unzipping the pocket GPS files in csv format but when unzipped they look like this. It’s the latest updates so wondering if there is a file glitch ? I’m pretty sure these aren’t csv files but could be wrong. Lat time I downloaded they definitely came up as csv after unzipping 

310A962F-ECBF-4809-B72D-A08F5FDE5D19.jpeg

Edited by kevin defty

Don't worry, it's down to your windows explorer settings - you have the .csv files displayed as MS Excel Comma Separated Variable files.

15 minutes ago, D402 said:

Don't worry, it's down to your windows explorer settings - you have the .csv files displayed as MS Excel Comma Separated Variable files.

Thanks. Downloaded on a different laptop and sorted. 

I've got the cameras on my Columbus by uploading them through the connect portal, however like a couple of others have posted it doesn't 'notify' me when I'm approaching them. 

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

15 hours ago, flyingpigvrs said:

I've got the cameras on my Columbus by uploading them through the connect portal, however like a couple of others have posted it doesn't 'notify' me when I'm approaching them. 

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

I suspect you have missed out a step. In Rainmaker's guide on page 1 it shows there is a tick-box to get the aural notifications. It's good, but there is one down-side. It can't tell whether the camera is on your side of the road so you do get false warnings when approaching a camera that's pointing in the other direction. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 19:31, MarkUk63 said:

I think he said he used the connect portal and there is no option to add a warning , only by using the VW site can you add a warning.

Yeah I downloaded the poi database and sent the CSV staright to the Columbus via connect portal. It worked and the cameras were there with no issues, but no audible warning. 

However I had actually followed rainmakers guide prior to trying to send the CSV via the portal so it was a simple case of copying the files I'd produced onto an SD card and plugging it in. 

Columbus detected an update which it applied and now I have the 'beep' on approach to cameras. 

I do.however think this may get annoying quite quickly!  We shall see.

I’ve just loaded the speed cameras on to my Series 3 L&K using the sd card. Perfect! First time no issues at all. 

Thanks again Rainmaker! What a star you are. 

Free Camera resource

https://lufop.net/

I have the latest (touchscreen only MY2018 Columbus) and can confirm it works 

Just replace the VW Metainfo file with the one on the original post here after downloading from VW and it all works perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, NalaRewop said:

Hi Folks, Is there another site to convert the CSV files? 

The VW site doesn't work @ the moment - see attached file.. 

Regards

Alan

Screenshot 2018-05-23 at 07.21.03 pm.png

This happened once before and they did then reinstate the website but I suspect on this occasion it could be gone for good.

Basically the new system VW are using requires you to register with them and put in your VW VIN before it will allow you to use the new POI site and obviously a Skoda VIN will not work.

I have not found an alternative site that works.

On 24/05/2018 at 10:00, Hozz said:

Basically the new system VW are using requires you to register with them and put in your VW VIN before it will allow you to use the new POI site and obviously a Skoda VIN will not work.

I have not found an alternative site that works.

What would stop someone using the VIN from a VW they take the VIN from in say, a car park? Since VINs are visible at the bottom of the windscreen?