Speed camera POIs in Columbus (a new guide)

16 minutes ago, RoboOp said:

Guys I'm still having issues with the SkodaMydest portal. Its now threw up a 'Not enough disc space' error. I assure you all there is enough space on the laptop so not sure why this is happening. I've followed the instructions from Ashhere, well up to importing the files but then get the error. (see attached) I was trying with CSV files and intend using GPX when I can get them download from pocketgps.

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Skoda My Dest error.docx

Have you been downloading the file as a combined camera download rather than separate Gatso, Mobile etc. I had this error when I tried to use a consolidated version of the speed cameras.

Edited by atki81

@atki81. Yes I have been trying to use the consolidated version as that's what I have always used (TT). Will try the separate camera downloads and post back. Thanks for the heads up. Must have missed it if it was covered earlier in the thread.;)

22 minutes ago, RoboOp said:

@atki81. Yes I have been trying to use the consolidated version as that's what I have always used (TT). Will try the separate camera downloads and post back. Thanks for the heads up. Must have missed it if it was covered earlier in the thread.;)

No you’ve not missed this from the guide, along with downloading the python.exe app which isn’t in the guide either but found this from reading some of the earlier posts. Also don’t forget to tick in add sound if you want it to boing when near a camera. Plus you don’t need the meta2file either as your using the Skoda website, where I’d messed up previously!

Edited by atki81

57 minutes ago, RoboOp said:

Guys I'm still having issues with the SkodaMydest portal. Its now threw up a 'Not enough disc space' error. I assure you all there is enough space on the laptop so not sure why this is happening. I've followed the instructions from Ashhere, well up to importing the files but then get the error. (see attached) I was trying with CSV files and intend using GPX when I can get them download from pocketgps.

Skoda My Dest error.docx

I have this same issue, but I’m on Mac. Happens with both the consolidated file and the individual files. 

52 minutes ago, RoboOp said:

Skoda My Dest error.docx

This is a problem with the Skoda My Destinations website at present.

I have been having some correspondence with Skoda and actually talked them through the problem yesterday.

It not only affects us when we are trying to load our own POI's, it also throws up the same error if you try loading a destination from the Skoda interface i.e. when you search destinations and try to load them.

Skoda accepted the problem was theirs but judging by the explanation I received on how the problem will be escalated, I suspect it could take some time to resolve.

Perhaps the more pressure we all put on them the quicker it will be resolved

Just a heads up to say at the time of writing this post that the " not enough disc space " error on the Skoda My Destinations site has been rectified ( who knows for how long though ). You will still need to use 39 x 39 icons in the .png format and to run flumpie's poifix to correct the bad checksums to get the required result. Meanwhile for future reference there are two standalone programmes available online and they both work fine. POInspect0r is a paid for programme that works fine - there is a free version but it is too limited. While POIBase is also up to the job as well. The free version of POIBase is limited to a maximum of five categories and the icons need to be in the 22 x 22 .bmp format. Drawbacks with POIBase are that you have to wait for up to half an hour for each category to be converted online and then added back to the programme and also, by design, the audible warnings are deliberately disabled. There is a  workaround for this though. Columbus users will need to locate the " categories.pc " file in the MIB2HIGH folder and edit the warning for each created poi category from " false " to " true ". The editing of this file will then result in the checksums being incorrect but this can then be rectified by using flumpie's poifix, making sure that the poifix is pointed to the correct path. It's a bit of a long winded method but it works. So at least there are alternatives available out there. Hope this info is of some help :biggrin:.  

• Like 1

The format of the files is pretty simple, so it would be relatively easy to write a script which generated the database without needing to use the MyDestinations site, or 3rd party tools like POIBase. Would anyone be interested?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, flumpie said:

The format of the files is pretty simple, so it would be relatively easy to write a script which generated the database without needing to use the MyDestinations site, or 3rd party tools like POIBase. Would anyone be interested?

I definitely would be :biggrin:. I'd prefer a bit of independence. I hate relying on dodgy sites or third party tools.

2 hours ago, bigade1 said:

Just a heads up to say at the time of writing this post that the " not enough disc space " error on the Skoda My Destinations site has been rectified ( who knows for how long though ). You will still need to use 39 x 39 icons in the .png format and to run flumpie's poifix to correct the bad checksums to get the required result. Meanwhile for future reference there are two standalone programmes available online and they both work fine. POInspect0r is a paid for programme that works fine - there is a free version but it is too limited. While POIBase is also up to the job as well. The free version of POIBase is limited to a maximum of five categories and the icons need to be in the 22 x 22 .bmp format. Drawbacks with POIBase are that you have to wait for up to half an hour for each category to be converted online and then added back to the programme and also, by design, the audible warnings are deliberately disabled. There is a  workaround for this though. Columbus users will need to locate the " categories.pc " file in the MIB2HIGH folder and edit the warning for each created poi category from " false " to " true ". The editing of this file will then result in the checksums being incorrect but this can then be rectified by using flumpie's poifix, making sure that the poifix is pointed to the correct path. It's a bit of a long winded method but it works. So at least there are alternatives available out there. Hope this info is of some help :biggrin:.  

Top man. Thanks for the heads up @bigade1

5 hours ago, flumpie said:

That would be a brilliant solution.

I would certainly be interested.

On 08/06/2018 at 14:01, flumpie said:

Updated poifix.py script so it works when you have more than 512KB of POIs

Hi @flumpie,

Can you help out please. Trying to use the poifix.py file in cmd(admin) now seeing as though Skoda MyDest is currently working but keep getting the following issue. A bit stuck here so any help would be appreciated. 

3C2DA40E-C6DF-42C6-B29D-83158D7887EC.jpeg

5 minutes ago, RoboOp said:

Hi @flumpie,

Can you help out please. Trying to use the poifix.py file in cmd(admin) now seeing as though Skoda MyDest is currently working but keep getting the following issue. A bit stuck here so any help would be appreciated. 

Hi RoboOp,

You've missed out the python executable from the command line. Need something like c:\path\to\python.exe poifix.py h:\personalpoi\mib2\mib2high.

The path is wherever python got installed.

Have purchased POInspect0r  (9Euros) and used the software to successfully update Speed Cameras POIs on my Amundsen Infotainment unit. Must say it works a treat and very easy to operate - well worth the price.

Edited by PhilJA

Will this work on the Columbus mib1?

I assume if it does I would need to change the line from " poifix.py e:\PersonalPOI\MIB2\MIB2high " to "poifix.py e:\PersonalPOI\MIB1\MIB1high"?

1 hour ago, dhill said:

Will this work on the Columbus mib1?

I assume if it does I would need to change the line from " poifix.py e:\PersonalPOI\MIB2\MIB2high " to "poifix.py e:\PersonalPOI\MIB1\MIB1high"?

I have no idea - I have never seen anything for the mib1. If you have a working database PM it to me and I'll have a look to see if it uses a similar mechanism.

On 15/07/2018 at 14:18, flumpie said:

I have no idea - I have never seen anything for the mib1. If you have a working database PM it to me and I'll have a look to see if it uses a similar mechanism.

Which database do you need to see buddy, and what parts/files?

20 minutes ago, dhill said:

Which database do you need to see buddy, and what parts/files?

I assume that the POIs for the mib1 can be updated via usb/sd card? If so, I'd need to see an example of the files which would go on the usb/sd card to successfully update the mib1.

From what little I've read on the forum, it sounds as if the skoda website used to generate files for mib1 but doesn't do it any longer.

• For MIB1 (from what I can gather from googling):
    • Does not support an audible warning when approaching a POI
    • Uses a single sqlite (db3) file for updating POIs
    • VW no longer provides an online mechanism for updating the POIs
    • POInspector is the only utility currently available to generate a new database. There are no free utilities.
    • The format is significantly different to MIB2, but I could extend my script to support this, if there is sufficient interest (and someone willing to test a few iterations)
  • For MIB2:
    • The Skoda Destinations website builds the POI database incorrectly, so it cannot be loaded onto the SatNav. You can use https://github.com/jimmyH/mypois/blob/master/poifix.py to fix this problem.
    • POInspector and POIbase utilities can also be used to build the POI database
    • Alternatively I have a script which creates the POI database itself:
      • This is available on github: https://github.com/jimmyH/mypois
      • For windows there is a prebuilt executable https://github.com/jimmyH/mypois/releases
      • To use, simply create a configuration file (see attached example) in the same directory as your POIs, and then run mypois.exe config.ini, then copy the generated files to your sd card.
      • Currently only supports csv POIs, I can add support for more formats if there is sufficient interest.

Where possible, please use the github website for any issues, or any feature requests.

config.ini

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree this site is now defunct. But have had success with the Skoda Mydestinations tool on the update portal. However it only seems to work if you download the speed camera file from PocketGPS in the.GPX format. In fact this is more straight forward than the old  German VW site.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2018 at 18:33, NalaRewop said:

Thanks AshHere for the Instructions :) And Everyone else who contributed to resolve this issue...

get this far,copied the file to the folder (windows) 0n c drive....then you say ""RUN A COMMAND PROMP".....as in  "run" type in cd\   then enter......it comes up cannot find cd ????

can you elaborate

7. Download the poifix.py file created by Flumpie (above). Copy to C:\windows folder.

8. Run a command prompt on your computer.  

9. Navigate to the windows folder by typing cd \    

Hit the enter key

then 

cd windows

Hit the enter key

10. You should be at a prompt like this

11. Noting that e: drive is my SD card drive with the files on it:

At the c:\windows>  prompt type 

poifix.py e:\PersonalPOI\MIB2\MIB2high

If successful you should see a screen similar to below. 

12. You now have usable files to upload to your Columbus per Rainmakers instructions on page 1 of this thread. 

Thank you once again to Rainmaker, Flumpie, Hozz and Rifleman and anybody else who has contributed. 

The 'command prompt' is a windows program called cmd.exe.

So you need to bring up the run dialog box using: Windows logo key  + R

Then type 'cmd' into the dialog box to run the 'command prompt'.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2018 at 17:34, RoboOp said:

Skoda My Dest error.docx

If you haven’t got it to work yet. I got the exact same error when using Chrome but it worked when using Internet Explorer. 

I got the speed cams updated onto the Columbus successfully.

But... for some reason I can’t see them on the map. I can choose the group in the nav maps settings and I have checked the box to show special pois, but nope, no cams. 

The icon looked weird in the menu though, a white box with an arrow in the corner, so maybe that’s the problem, I just used a random 300x300 pix jpg camera pic, maybe it was too big.