Sasha’s Octavia vRS

1 minute ago, SashaGrace said:

I was worried about that too, for where I usually use them with my thumbs near the thumb grips on the wheel I am pulling the paddle a cm or so beyond the length of the existing paddle and my commute also begins trudging up a big hill in the morning and I find that the DSG doesn’t like to shift up cleanly where I would shift so I just grab the paddle but it’s easy to miss when not looking as it is so small so I don’t buy this business of the paddles being the right size and if you need bigger you’re not using them right rubbish. I haven’t used them in anger yet so I can’t comment on pulling the paddle hard but they seem secure enough to me. I doubt the legitimacy of the 3M branding on the tape because I am cynical but I have to say it hasn’t budged. Give it a blast with a hairdryer to get the adhesive all sticky and even cheap adhesive will turn into a limpet :)

Thanks again.  I think we both had the same 'concerns' about their functionality and the same reasons behind getting them.  Hopefully, like you, I won't have any issues. 

Just need the car now! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SashaGrace said:

Sounds like it. I am really impressed with them though, they are working well :) I couldn’t wait for a car, the longest I’ve waited has been 4 days and it killed me haha

I just can't wait to use them for the first time and do "pew pew pew" noises as I'm toggling through the gears :biggrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Sounds like it. I am really impressed with them though, they are working well :) I couldn’t wait for a car, the longest I’ve waited has been 4 days and it killed me haha

I get to wait until September! Shiny new reg tho :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mumphie said:

Do they make the paddles feel any less like buttons? Do they give some kind of springy feedback at all?

I think so, it alters the feel slightly. I can report that I’ve now used them in anger and pulling at the top of the paddle is no problem, the hold steady :)

1 hour ago, Zippeh said:

I get to wait until September! Shiny new reg tho :D

Oh god, I couldn’t do that!!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I think so, it alters the feel slightly. I can report that I’ve now used them in anger and pulling at the top of the paddle is no problem, the hold steady :)

Oh god, I couldn’t do that!!!

My current VRS (carbon copy of yours, but a hatch!) is going back at the end of July, so I thought I could wait an extra month to get the new plate :D

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Don’t know if they fit, as the paddles are the same as a Golf 6, not a Golf 7. Look good though :)

Ah cool, didn't know that! Thanks :biggrin:

• Like 1

Since we are on the topic of paddle extensions, beware of this:

On the Cupra forums (or was if Golf...) there was someone who fitted paddle extensions and then proceeded to rip out the shifting mechanism one time he got out of the car and the steering wheel was not straight - his pants hooked the paddle and the whole paddle assembly (the original) ripped out of the wheel.

It was very expensive to fix and replace, so... Not saying this is something that might happen to you guys, but definitely something you should be aware of.

I have also been toying with the idea of these - when I got the car I thought it would be OK, but I now find that when cornering fast I have problems to hold the wheel correctly and still reach for the paddle accurately.

Need go check what to get and if the Cupra has Golf Mk6 or Golf Mk7 paddles ;)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Since we are on the topic of paddle extensions, beware of this:

On the Cupra forums (or was if Golf...) there was someone who fitted paddle extensions and then proceeded to rip out the shifting mechanism one time he got out of the car and the steering wheel was not straight - his pants hooked the paddle and the whole paddle assembly (the original) ripped out of the wheel.

It was very expensive to fix and replace, so... Not saying this is something that might happen to you guys, but definitely something you should be aware of.

Wow! That 3M adhesive is REALLY on there, then!

• Like 1

On 06/05/2018 at 21:35, mumphie said:

Ordered some yesterday!

Arrived today and installed!

They do look and feel surprisingly good, esp considering they were only about £10!

I took the plastic bits off before I stuck them on and allowed the sticky pad to cure for a couple of hours before reattaching the alu paddles.

• Like 1

If you managed to fit them yet, did the bumper and sill protectors go on easy enough? I guess alignment is the only possible issue there. Going to place an order for the same on superskoda (and a rubber boot mat but even my ham fists can't fit that wrong)

• Like 1

The bumper trim went on a while back and was easy enough to align thankfully. Just peel off the backing paper to reveal the adhesive and stick down. I haven’t done the sill trims yet, just haven’t found the time to do them! Also haven’t done the mudflaps. I have however managed to get the locking nuts off after breaking the locking wheel nut key. I have ordered 4 standard bolts to replace them with, as I cannot be doing with locking nuts tbh. I will be sorting the tyres out next week through TOTD, but I am unsure whether or not to go for the decent rubber I wanted, or throw some cheaper tyres on for now as I am unsure about keeping these wheels. The condition is so scabby and I am not overly sold on the design for some reason, can’t put my finger on the reason though.