DPF questions (I know)

2 minutes ago, Greenie58 said:

Where did you buy the car from ? you are in my neck of the woods and it would be good to know who to avoid for future reference , wasn’t FOW was it?

Nope, it was a small company down in Coventry

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, fAk3svk said:

Do I need to plug in some additional adapter to make the app work? Or I just connect it to my car via Bluetooth? Thanks

You need to buy an obd plug too which you can get cheap off eBay, which plugs into the diagnostics socket. A Bluetooth one for an android phone, or if you are on iPhone you have to get a WiFi one I believe.

The solution to the problem is simple. Get a Petrol!!! They are vastly superior and don’t suffer any of this utter crap. 

Why buy a diesel? The scratty few mpg more is wiped out by 10p litre more expensive, dpf and other certain problems, a horrible racket with vibration, manky mess everytime you fill up and they are spewing out nox and particles multiple times what they claimed.  

Sorry I really detest diesels in smaller cars. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2019 at 20:49, teescom09 said:

The solution to the problem is simple. Get a Petrol!!! They are vastly superior and don’t suffer any of this utter crap. 

Why buy a diesel? The scratty few mpg more is wiped out by 10p litre more expensive, dpf and other certain problems, a horrible racket with vibration, manky mess everytime you fill up and they are spewing out nox and particles multiple times what they claimed.  

Well let me put it this way in my country the diesel is cheaper by 15p/liter and i did 460K km in 4years and its a lot. Never had a diesel car and god be my witness i hate them but once it saves money u no... money talks especially in a eastern block country ;) and considering it didnt cost me anything except regular maintenance i will let it cleaned amd still happy because... money 

• Like 2

On 28/02/2019 at 23:42, fAk3svk said:

Do I need to plug in some additional adapter to make the app work? Or I just connect it to my car via Bluetooth? Thanks

ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter but dont get the cheapest, sure there are many people who are good with them but about the same who wasted that money and later bought the more expensive lets say a £15-20 one should be okay but of course people can sell you a lemon for the same price as well

On 01/03/2019 at 19:49, teescom09 said:

You'd better buy one quickly.

Modern petrol's' are now being fitted with GPF's (Gasoline Particulate Filters), including VAG's 1.5 TSI and 2.0 TSI engines.

As for long term reliability, only time will tell.

• Like 1

Be careful if you decide to go down the 'washing your DPF' path.

The reason DPF's are so expensive is because, much like catalytic converters, they contain expensive materials, presumably the coating that catches the soot.

Some bloke with a jet wash stuck in the end of your DPF, round the back of his workshop, blasting huge puddles of black gungy liquid onto the floor isn't the same as taking it to a reputable cleaner with the proper equipment.

From what I've read, removing and washing the DPF is a short term solution, as it reduces the ability of the DPF to do its job, so you'll soon see repeated regeneration's and the woeful fuel economy that comes with them.

This...

Not this...

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

Just wanted to drag my results back after a couple of years. 

I reported mine when it was 17% at 28k miles. Connected it today and is showing 29% at 56k. 

I do the miles (just) and enough long runs to keep it in check. I do have a the fan running quite often but it seems that I’m quite lucky with the oil ash figures. 

Anyone had thier DPF replaced yet?

• Thanks 1

On 13/03/2019 at 15:47, silver1011 said:

You'd better buy one quickly.

Modern petrol's' are now being fitted with GPF's (Gasoline Particulate Filters), including VAG's 1.5 TSI and 2.0 TSI engines.

As for long term reliability, only time will tell.

A few are, mainly very high performance models like Porsche, M etc. Very suprised vag are on piddly little low powered engines, there is no need.

That said they are no where near as restrictive as diesel versions and self clean at running temperatures without the need for diesel type fuel sourced  regens. Common sense really, just look at what comes out of a petrol exhaust pipe compared to a none dpf diesel! 

• Confused 1

There was a need on piddly 1.0 TSI engines that had replaced the 1.2 TSI and the 1.5TSI that replaced 1.4TSI, but VW Group did put some 1.4TSI through WLTP.

They no longer could get away with Implausible / Irregular C02 g/km figures with WLTP / RDE.

Maybe still not going to get away with how they had to Map them to get the Certification they have currently.

1 hour ago, teescom09 said:

A few are, mainly very high performance models like Porsche, M etc. Very suprised vag are on piddly little low powered engines, there is no need.

That said they are no where near as restrictive as diesel versions and self clean at running temperatures without the need for diesel type fuel sourced  regens. Common sense really, just look at what comes out of a petrol exhaust pipe compared to a none dpf diesel! 

just because you cant see it doesn't mean its better though

the petrol engine exhaust pipe might look clean, but its arguably worse

they produce  double the amount of cancer causing benzene for a start and  mpg always worse v diesel, so more used = more benzene

On 24/03/2019 at 23:29, 310golfr said:

just because you cant see it doesn't mean its better though

the petrol engine exhaust pipe might look clean, but its arguably worse

they produce  double the amount of cancer causing benzene for a start and  mpg always worse v diesel, so more used = more benzene

Im no scientist but Benzene from the exhaust? I thought it was a vapour directly from the fuel so no filter could do anything about that. You learn something every day. 

The effects of gpf on a petrol are very small. BMW lifted the boost 0.1 bar to compensate. Even they said they were surprised what little overall effect they have. Plus the self clean with the naturally extremely hot turbo petrol exhaust

hey lads i just got my dpf cleaned by an allegedly profesional company who forgot to tell the ecu that i have a new filter, as they told me, so its not good and the vag app is showing the last known results so make sure they do it if you decide to let it cleaned i will update how its functioning and how often it regenerates after the ecu remap??? 

Edited by Octavoro
inappropriate

3 hours ago, teescom09 said:

Im no scientist but Benzene from the exhaust? I thought it was a vapour directly from the fuel so no filter could do anything about that. You learn something every day. 

The effects of gpf on a petrol are very small. BMW lifted the boost 0.1 bar to compensate. Even they said they were surprised what little overall effect they have. Plus the self clean with the naturally extremely hot turbo petrol exhaust

benzene is produced as a by product of combustion, although it's in the fuel to start with

known to cause leukaemia

petrol engines produce substantially more than diesel engines 

so don't believe all the government bull$hit about diesel engines being bad   :envy:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a Golf 7 estate, 2.0TDI 150CP, after 200.000 I have 41g oil ash, so I'm at 50% and the limit is 75%. (to avoid DPF destruction), ...if you drive no more than 15.000km/year mainly in the city, you will add 5-6grams of oil ash into DPF (I've been following this for 3 years). 

The idea is to clean the DPF when you are at 75%, there is a special machine used for DPF cleaning. Please clean it, do not remove it..we are all living on the same planet and breath the same air!

In Romania, the cleaning cost only ~70Euros...and some extra money for disassembling /assembling.

• 10 months later...

Although you have been duped and a criminal act has been committed I'd advise you to avoid the legal route if at all

possible. Go to the dealer armed with your evidence of clocking and demand ALL your money back. If they reject this, say you will report them to Trading Standards. Getting solicitors involved will cost money and small claims court actions far too often fail with dodgy dealers wriggling out of responsibility. Good luck 

On 09/02/2022 at 17:43, likaleica said:

Although you have been duped and a criminal act has been committed I'd advise you to avoid the legal route if at all

possible. Go to the dealer armed with your evidence of clocking and demand ALL your money back. If they reject this, say you will report them to Trading Standards. Getting solicitors involved will cost money and small claims court actions far too often fail with dodgy dealers wriggling out of responsibility. Good luck 

Did you read the rest of the thread? I confronted the trader and got all of my money back. That was 4 years ago.

Back then, when I spoke to the trader, they were going to put it back up for sale, but tell any prospective buyer that the mileage was not genuine, as it had been clocked back 100,000 miles. 

Fast-forward a few years later, and I see the car's MOT history shows it on nearly 87k miles. So in reality that's 187,000 miles. It looks like it was last sold on in November, and I'm guessing not all the vendors were honest about the mileage!

I wasn't going to mention the reg of the car, but given the possibility for someone to be sold a clocked car without their knowledge, I will do so now.

DP64GDZ or DP64 GDZ

I'm really sorry if you're reading this having bought the car - I know how it feels to find out you've been sold a clocked car! Hopefully this information might help someone avoid being mis-sold a car with higher mileage than advertised. 

• 1 year later...
On 19/03/2019 at 21:53, KarlO3V5 said:

Just wanted to drag my results back after a couple of years. 

I reported mine when it was 17% at 28k miles. Connected it today and is showing 29% at 56k. 

I do the miles (just) and enough long runs to keep it in check. I do have a the fan running quite often but it seems that I’m quite lucky with the oil ash figures. 

Anyone had thier DPF replaced yet?

Thanks for this valuable data to give an insight. Are you still around and do you still have the car?  Another update would be great!!