Changes in MY2019

From Czech forums:

• Production stops 1.8 TSI 132 kW (KW26) 
  • Production stops 1.4 TSI 110 kW (KW26) 
  • Production stops 2.0 TSI 162 kW (KW26) 
  • Production stops 2.0 TSI 206 kW (KW26) 
  • New motor 1.5 TSI 110 kW (KW36) 
  • New motor 2.0 TSI 140 kW (KW48) 
  • New motor 2.0 TSI 200 kW (KW36)

All new petrols will have a particle filter.

PS. KW is a build week.

Edited by rytmask
  • Thanks 2

The 2.0 tsi 140kw is likely to be the new Budack (Miller) cycle engine.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/inside-volkswagen-ea888-b-cycle-2-0-tsi-i4/

I note the article makes a similar comment about performance as we are hearing about the 1.5 tsi, less eager to rev than last generation. The price of emission control?

Wk36 is also likely to be facelift production start (after summer shutdown)

Edited by xman

Production line changes are tooled during the summer shutdown. Across the board engine change must be face lift related. Although production starts wk36, they may hold back availability until later.

We will hear more in Geneva next month no doubt.

6 hours ago, GaSelle said:

SO glad, that I will get one of the last 1.4’s so I don’t have to deal with GPF :)

Yup - I think I may have to consider a late 1.4

Love the 1.4tsi in my Superb II but wasn't as impressed with the 1.5tsi in the Karoq. I think I'll investgate a 1.4tsi 150ps! S3

GPF, will that need Ad Blue?

All the people I know moaning about diesels DPF and clogging up and they do the same with petrols!

Appears a number of higher performance MINI and BMW models are being withdrawn sooner due to a complete crack down of emissions etc. 

Such a a shame really. 

1 hour ago, PSM said:

I thought the facelift was not due until 2019. A build week of 36 would mean deliveries in 2018.

My car is a MY2018... delivered in October 2017. Car model years usually come out the year before, if you know what I mean.

7 minutes ago, aldouk said:

GPF, will that need Ad Blue?

All the people I know moaning about diesels DPF and clogging up and they do the same with petrols!

Appears a number of higher performance MINI and BMW models are being withdrawn sooner due to a complete crack down of emissions etc. 

Such a a shame really. 

No, adblue is for NOx reduction in an SCR cat, currently only fitted to diesel engines.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rtj70 said:

My car is a MY2018... delivered in October 2017. Car model years usually come out the year before, if you know what I mean.

I understand that but all the literature I have seen says facelift is mid 2019 and not MY2019 so the timings do not seem to add up. Could this just be an engine change due to emissions changes and a facelift will follow a year later?

this sounds just like an engine line up change - not related to the facelift, that won't be revealed until Mid-2019.

this a new revision of the existing EA888 engine.

the facelift will most likely be MY20 builds.

• Like 1

I wonder what the regen characteristics of a GPF would be VS. the DPF? 

If it's going to be similar to a current DPF in it's behaviour then I hope I get a chance to order a 280, and sharpish! 

46 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

If it's going to be similar to a current DPF in it's behaviour then I hope I get a chance to order a 280, and sharpish! 

Ye so will the car need to be run for long distances for the GPF to regen is what I would like to know. I rarely do long distances these days.

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

I worried a lot about DPF before I bought my 190 TDI with ad-blue. I've not had to refill it yet, but I'm pleased to say that so far the regen process has been a complete non-event for me - have you had a different experience Penguin? 

This thread was helpful to understand the different types of regen (though I accept GPF may be completely different). I've had active and passive regens, but as said each is such a non-event it is hardly noticeable (fan runs and a bit whiffy for a couple of minutes if active, slight change to idle speed if active).

I would have a wider concern about beta-testing any new engine though. Will these engines be seen in other VAG cars before they appear in the Superb?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

I worried a lot about DPF before I bought my 190 TDI with ad-blue. I've not had to refill it yet, but I'm pleased to say that so far the regen process has been a complete non-event for me - have you had a different experience Penguin? 

This thread was helpful to understand the different types of regen (though I accept GPF may be completely different). I've had active and passive regens, but as said each is such a non-event it is hardly noticeable (fan runs and a bit whiffy for a couple of minutes if active, slight change to idle speed if active).

I would have a wider concern about beta-testing any new engine though. Will these engines be seen in other VAG cars before they appear in the Superb?

Up until about 3-4 months ago I wasn't at all concerned about the DPF and it's behaviour on my 150 TDI.  For the last 9.5 years I'd been commuting 90 miles per day; the first mile was urban until I got to a dual carriageway and then it was CC on and engine working at a steady rate for the majority of the commute, with the chance at junctions/roundabouts to vary revs and engine speed.  Pretty much ideal for ensuring any residual soot was burned off without any drama's.

Since taking delivery of the car I've relocated, I work from home and everything I need is on my doorstep.  Mileage is less than halved  and so he journeys that aren't practical to walk are just that little bit too short to get the car up to temperature and I notice a lot of active regens taking place when I return home.  I've actually started to just jump straight back in the car and take it for a good run to get the DPF up to temp.  I've noticed this happen more and more frequently and even after a good run it won't be long until the car seems to want another regen.   I don't think this is an issue with my car I just think I now have a work/home pattern that doesn't work with a diesel/DPF and I'm no longer seeing any benefit to having a diesel from an economy perspective.   I do a 400 mile trip to the office once a month and now get a chance to expense my mileage (I wish I could when I was doing 400+ mile per week!).  Perfect opportunity for me to shift back to petrol. 

Thanks Penguin - makes sense given your changed circumstances.

Given xman's info (if I read it correctly) that GPF is needed on all new petrol cars from June 2018, this will be a much wider problem. I can't imagine buyers of little city cars that are used to go to the shops a couple of times as week accepting "give it a blast down the motorway" as a dealer "solution" for example. 

Everywhere I have read about Euro6d says basically the same. 

"As a consequence, new petrol cars being sold from June 2018 will need a GPF (Gasoline Particulate Filter) to comply with the emissions regulation."

Elsewhere its been stated all new registrations.

So existing unregistered stock without GPF will be a problem for dealers of all makes. Expect a bonanza of discounts and pre reg cars to shift them.

9 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Thanks Penguin - makes sense given your changed circumstances.

Given xman's info (if I read it correctly) that GPF is needed on all new petrol cars from June 2018, this will be a much wider problem. I can't imagine buyers of little city cars that are used to go to the shops a couple of times as week accepting "give it a blast down the motorway" as a dealer "solution" for example. 

Several people have remarked on this, but I'm quoting yours because it's the last I read. A GPF shouldn't be much of an issue, thankfully, and not at all like the diesel counterpart. Petrol engines have proper throttles and stick to a strict fuel:air ratio. Diesels, conversely, are running cylinders that are always full of air and the 'gas' pedal simply adds more or less diesel to the mix depending on how much 'go' the driver requires. Petrols also run much hotter. 

Although I'm on expert and I'm happy to learn more, from what I've read so far over the last year or so, GPFs will effectively do a full and instant 'regen' every time you lift off the throttle. They're always very hot (compared to a diesel) and closing the throttle off instantly creates conditions that obliterate whatever's stored in the GPF. No need for long runs, clogging up etc. We shall see how they're implemented in practice but I'm not worried yet. 

Hold on... From the link posted above:

This new 2.0T makes 184 hp and 221 lb-ft of torque, 14 hp and 35 lb-ft more than the 1.8T, while fuel economy is up by eight percent... The 221 lb-ft of torque in this engine is up 14 lb-ft from the outgoing Tiguan’s but, as Volkswagen says, power is down from 200 hp to 184 hp.

So let me get this straight. The engine gains 8% fuel economy, but also sacrifices about that much (%) of its power to do so? Then, for example, it would give - theoretically - up to 32.4mpg instead of 30mpg to a tank. First, does anyone buying a large petrol really give two figs whether they're getting a mere 2mpg extra? Seriously? Especially when they have to give up a chunk of power to do so? Second, if I wanted to sacrifice some power to get better economy, I didn't need to wait for a power-deprived Miller Cycle engine - I could have just ordered the 1.4 TSI 150 instead... or a diesel. 

Am I missing something, or what?!

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 1

Some news regarding the digital instrument cluster (AID):

Czechs say it will not come for MY2019 (Will be orderable on Karoq, Kodiaq (KW36), and even on Octavia (latee this year, KW42).

Seems that the Superb will be once again be neglected and will likely get it only in the facelifted version...

1,5TSI 4x4 and 2,0TSI 140kw will get new DQ381 DSGs

1,5TSI regular will remain on DQ200 DSG (not confirmed, but "speculated")

Edited by rytmask
  • Like 1