VRS TDI 4x4 in snow - dashcam

I went out in my mk 2 1.9 tdi today, some pretty ropy conditions. I have conti winter tyres on, or I would not have attempted it. It managed fine most of the time, but  I had a little slide at the end of my street on some ice., and a little slide on my sloping drive, nothing dramatic, as I was driving to the conditions. These are the first issues I've had with the winter tyres, and my confidence in them has dropped a bit

Here was me doing some footage last night. Was very close to being caught up with a Vectra and VW Transporter.

Despite my TDI being on summer tyres it was OK - had a snow day today though.

• Like 1

looks like you're getting it tight in yorkshire, we've had some snow here but nothing to cry about yet. Im coming round to the idea of winter tyres and will have to eat my words but had two slides on summers now in the snow and trouble getting up my drive which is concrete and 100 yards with a 10 degree rise. I'm down to about 6 mm anyway so not much tread left anyway. that 4x4 is handling the deep stuff with ease

19 hours ago, richyroo said:

You might be interested to see what a VRS TDI 4x4 can do in snow - this was my drive out today.

Tyres are Michelin Crossclimate Plus, by the way.

Nice video, to be fair i think my 2wd would do this, its new snow, so has decent grip if you keep momentum. I found geting to work ok, with summers on, its the start stop and cornering that are the issues.

On 28/02/2018 at 15:19, harrylime said:

I went out in my mk 2 1.9 tdi today, some pretty ropy conditions. I have conti winter tyres on, or I would not have attempted it. It managed fine most of the time, but  I had a little slide at the end of my street on some ice., and a little slide on my sloping drive, nothing dramatic, as I was driving to the conditions. These are the first issues I've had with the winter tyres, and my confidence in them has dropped a bit

Which Contis are they?  I'm running Winter Contact TS 860 all round on my Scout and haven't had any issues.

Was it sliding from braking or cornering

Edited by ScoutCJB

It would not have been so easy if the snow was drifting. Ground clearance is going to be a limiting factor.

I heard of a Land Rover sticking in a drift and being passed by one of those old Citreons with the lift up suspension. 

Just seen a fwd vrs estate spinning up and stationary as I wafted past in my Subaru loan car while the Forester is in the garage. Shockingly bad. I was embarrassed to go past.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tyres are the most important factor. 4WD/AWD certainly helps, but 4-wheels with zero traction are not much better than 2-wheels with zero traction. I flew back from Stockholm yesterday, and our Scandanavian friends do perfectly fine driving around in mostly 2WD cars. Of course, they have to use winters during the colder months, and most fit studded tyres.

I remember Colin Mcrae saying the most-significant difference between a road-car and a rally-car was the tyres. Swap the tyres and the road car would be the faster machine on any given surface.

cross climates are great - I have them on my vrs.

They aren't however as good as proper winter tyres in snow but vastly better than summers and of course you can leave them on all year round

Goodyear 4 seasons are better in snow than the Michelins but either are miles better than summer tyres.

We have proper winter tyres on the Quattro and that is another level again. Outstanding ( for a car ) although nothing beats a landrover 

• 1 month later...
On 16.3.2018 at 11:52, carrock said:

cross climates are great - I have them on my vrs.

They aren't however as good as proper winter tyres in snow but vastly better than summers and of course you can leave them on all year round

How are the CCs as summer tyres?

Im considering getting those. 

I have wintertyres, but CC would be brilliant in the spring and autumn when the conditions can change within the hour.

Having had the CCs on now in snow, rainy and dry conditions, I would say that they're pretty good in all three. I feel confident enough to chuck it round corners at a good pace in wet & dry (although the 4x4 flatters that feeling, of course). I will be happy to keep them on all year round now. Can't say yet how quickly they will wear, though.

On 02/03/2018 at 20:40, Petunet said:

:rofl:

It's been so long since I've seen a phonebooth, I had to check it twice.

Maybe the next video will feature mixer taps  :speechless:

• Like 1

On 16/03/2018 at 12:01, Orville said:

Tyres are the most important factor. 4WD/AWD certainly helps, but 4-wheels with zero traction are not much better than 2-wheels with zero traction. I flew back from Stockholm yesterday, and our Scandanavian friends do perfectly fine driving around in mostly 2WD cars. Of course, they have to use winters during the colder months, and most fit studded tyres.

I remember Colin Mcrae saying the most-significant difference between a road-car and a rally-car was the tyres. Swap the tyres and the road car would be the faster machine on any given surface.

2WD with winter tyres is certainly better than 4WD with summers.

I was always short of grip whilst playing Colin Mcrae's Rally on the Playstation. I didn't have much luck either, trying to install the Colin Mcrae Helicopter Simulator on my PC. Damn thing kept crashing :(

• Sad 1

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:32, Gromle said:

How are the CCs as summer tyres?

Im considering getting those. 

I have wintertyres, but CC would be brilliant in the spring and autumn when the conditions can change within the hour.

Fine. I wouldn't go on a track day with them but have been OK up to about 22 degrees. They are basically a summer tyre with winter capabilities, whereas bona fide winter tyres would overheat in the summer

• Thanks 1