Mirror puddle lights

After a lot of consideration I've decided I'd like to fit led bulbs into the mirror puddle lights.  Firstly, would I be right in thinking that these puddle lights aren't monitored by the bulb out warning system and therefore shouldn't throw up a warning if I fitted leds.  If this is correct I'd like to go ahead and fit some decent single sided t10 leds so that they can be fitted shining down in one direction.  If anyone can recommend a decent t10 that they've had good results with I'd be most grateful.  I know a lot of members have went with the Superskoda upgrade lights but I really can't justify the cost when all I want is to have a decent white light instead of the standard "yellow" lights.

Really miss these off my Volvo. People in Volvo land used to slag them off as being useless, but I think that’s because power fold mirrors with puddle lights were a cost option on the R-Design and most people didn’t have them B) I found them really helpful tbh, along with the folding mirrors, but my mirrors are black on the Octy, hard to see if they are folded and they barely make a difference to the width of the car (they are handy though as the car is parked on a busy street). As for the bulbs I’m not 100% if they are monitored by the CANBUS, but the number plate lights and sidelights are, so there are other T10’s used for exterior lights that are monitored. Osram T10’s are good in the cool LED colour and you can get them on Amazon with Prime delivery.

Don’t wish to hijack the thread, but while we are on the subject, don’t suppose anyone knows how much work it is to install the puddle lights in a car that doesn’t have them? Is it just wiring harness, bulb holder and bulb and enabling the coding or am I missing something else?

Edited by SashaGrace

Sasha...........when I was doing a search on the forum to find an answer to my question I did see a couple of write ups on how to retro fit puddle lights.  It doesn't look easy or cheap.  Do a search and you should find it.

• Like 1

I've had some led puddle lights for months and tried myself to see if anybody has done it but nothing comes up. Mines a 14 plate vrs. I've took the mirrors apart and cut the hole out ready plus drilled to extra 6mm holes so the water can drain out, was doing my head when I washed the car and the amount of water they hold if you moved the car afterwards. 

I bought these from Ebay to replace the incandescent bulb ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Error-Free-LED-Side-Mirror-Puddle-Light-For-skoda-Octavia-Mk3-5E-2012-2017/322544502957?hash=item4b192688ad:g:dB0AAOSww9xZNlKv

(about 2 weeks delivery from China). Fitting was as per Superskoda video and didn't even need the modification as they have a groove which sits inside the lip on the mirror cut-out.

As mentioned elsewhere you have to be a bit brave when removing the mirror but is ok if you take your time.

They are nice and bright and a very worthwhile mod if you already have puddle lights. I decided to turn off the CH/LH headlights for now as in most situations these give enough light, but I might set CH/LH up for LED running lights without headlights when I do some OBDEleven changes later.

• Thanks 1

jagdad.....thanks for that.  Did they fit and work ok without throwing up a bulb error on the dash ?  If that's the case then it should work ok just by replacing the bulb for me.  With my car still under warranty I don't want to do too many alterations so just fitting a decent led bulb will suit me.

I've also got exactly the same eBay ones and can reiterate they are good and don't throw any fault codes. It would also be possible to just replace the bulb with an led one rather than the whole housing.

me too for the cheaper ebay ones as listed above, the light they give out is really bright, the only thing for me is they are very open ie where you would push the lamp holder into the original item and it seals tight there is just a hole with the 2 wires coming out. I covered the holes with electrical tape but im not sure how much water could possibly get into the mirror housing.

they are really easy to fit as well just follow the superskoda video.

28166952_10213390229182933_3000603971329660234_n.jpg

27973406_10213390228582918_7424666488603517686_n.jpg

28276839_10213390228862925_1851118149695803107_n.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the info provided.  It gives me more confidence and initiative to go ahead with the project.  Just have to find some decent led bulbs now.  I'd rather have decent quality ones even if a bit more expensive.  It's not a job I'd like to be doing regularly to replace a dud bulb.

Well, after a lot of searching I've decided I might give these a try http://britelightleds.co.uk/4-led-5050-501-canbus-pcb?keyword=106203

They're nice and short and should give a better light than the originals.  I don't know how long an led bulb I can get into the bulb holder/housing and I'm not going to dismantle the mirror just to find out then have to dismantle again to fit the bulb so I'll go with the short one that I know will fit. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

I replaced all my interior lights with LED's including the boot and door puddle lights.
Makes the passenger compartment very bright and the boot even more so, which is great at night if your parked in a particularly dark area.

I also did the number plate lights (Audi RS6 I think from ebay) and the front fogs which of course need coding, however the front fogs still through bulb warning up!

• 1 year later...
On 06/03/2018 at 09:21, furn said:

me too for the cheaper ebay ones as listed above, the light they give out is really bright, the only thing for me is they are very open ie where you would push the lamp holder into the original item and it seals tight there is just a hole with the 2 wires coming out. I covered the holes with electrical tape but im not sure how much water could possibly get into the mirror housing.

they are really easy to fit as well just follow the superskoda video.

28166952_10213390229182933_3000603971329660234_n.jpg

27973406_10213390228582918_7424666488603517686_n.jpg

28276839_10213390228862925_1851118149695803107_n.jpg

These are too bright in my opinion! Do you have a link to the superskoda video

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No coding needed, i used these bulbs from AliExpress without CANBUS and they work perfectly, no need for reducing or increasing power. It also important that only the smallest LED bulbs can fit, since there is very little space.

https://bit.ly/2YsU8oW

96082679_1107300879649817_3738368611366993920_n.jpg

95945038_657920861720817_1930997062690668544_n.jpg

95865081_627205877880311_1491346974568349696_n.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 years later...