Is a Sim card worth it for Columbus ?

My Sportline was delivered 3 weeks ago along with a sim slot which I didn't order - so presume this is now standard?

I have put a '3' data preloaded sim in there with 12gb which lasts a year. Probably way overkill but allows full functionality on the Skoda connect app including car parked location, locked/unlock status, flash horn+lights, etc. I was not expecting this as standard so am extremely happy it came with it.

The columbus system allows you to use the car sim for data only or data-calls-sms. I chose data only and use bluetooth or carplay for calls+sms. Great feature, something that was not possible in previous columbus iterations. 

ljones that's the card that I have got I take it you have not got the wireless charging box? 

2 wheels would love to had dsg again I had one with a old 170 passat nut it's a company car and had to have a manual but got upgraded from se tech to an all for nothing so can't complain

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MarkUk63 said:

ljones that's the card that I have got I take it you have not got the wireless charging box? 

no there isn't a wireless charging box in mine.

Edited by lj0nes

On 13/03/2018 at 13:47, MaddicIrl said:

If you download the MySkoda App and enter your details it gives the date of production and month of first registration.

Thanks

3 hours ago, lj0nes said:

I have put a '3' data preloaded sim in there with 12gb which lasts a year. Probably way overkill but allows full functionality on the Skoda connect app including car parked location, locked/unlock status, flash horn+lights, etc. I was not expecting this as standard so am extremely happy it came with it.

Just to clarify, this is not a function of the SIM card in the glove box, this is a function of Skoda Connect standard on MY18 cars along with emergency services etc. i.e. My car does not have the SIM card (Amundsen Infotainment) but has these functions.

18 minutes ago, Blowhard said:

Thanks

No problem, glad to help.

Maddiclrl it can be used as part of the  Skoda connect as the Inbuilt sim is only used for the emergency call and the remote access to the car, the infotainment part has to have a separate internet connection, either the the sim slot with a card or tethered to a phone or a WiFi point.

As far as I can make out only the Columbus or a car with wireless charging box with LTE have the sim slot in the MY18.

Edited by MarkUk63

4 hours ago, MarkUk63 said:

Maddiclrl it can be used as part of the  Skoda connect as the Inbuilt sim is only used for the emergency call and the remote access to the car, the infotainment part has to have a separate internet connection, either the the sim slot with a card or tethered to a phone or a WiFi point.

As far as I can make out only the Columbus or a car with wireless charging box with LTE have the sim slot in the MY18.

Correct! I was merely pointing out that the Skoda Connect App functions are built in standard on MY18 cars (above entry spec at least) with or without SIM card slot in glove box as the post I quoted may be a little misleading.

TBH additional (connected to Infotainment system) USBs, would do away with the need for the SIM card slot imo, cheaper solution for all you would think.

On 12/03/2018 at 11:29, MarkUk63 said:

Hi getting my SEL Estate on Thursday and wondering if getting a sim is worth the cost, I have a HTC 10 Android phone with Google 8.0 and the auto tethering apps will not work with this, so i was wondering how much hassel it is to reconnect the WIFI each time i get into the car.

The car is a 150TDI manual so will be interesting if it has AdBlue or not, cant wait to get it first brand new car in years even if it is a company car.

Any advise on the sim would be very welcome.

I have an ID sim only (Works on 3 - 4g network £5 a month for 1.5gb month to month contract works fine and unused data rolls over as well

Edited by stecon29

Have set it up tethered to my phone seems to work ok, just got to send the sim back.

5 1/2 hour drive back from Manchester with no backache and a big smile on my face love my new car.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkUk63 said:

Have set it up tethered to my phone seems to work ok, just got to send the sim back.

everytime my phone connects via bluetooth to my car, it automatically turns on the phone's hotspot, and my Columbus connects to it.

i don't have a SIM card slot in the glovebox.

unfortunately Oz specc'ed Skoda's do not get the SmartGate module - hence no SkodaConnect functionality for us.

boo.

i don't know wat else my Columbus will use data tethered from my phone.

the SkodaOneApp does its thing (data logging) when connected to phone's hotspot.

Hi just an update i have installed a program called Tasker to set up a auto connect profile that works with android 8.0, seems to work ok.

Just checked an older superb spec sheet and the Wi-Fi with LTE internet is only standard from January 2018 but an option before, just checked the June 2017 brochure, its a shame i did not get it and the fact the lease company said my car was built in January not ( December as i previously posted)  by actually was built on the 27/11/2017.

Still love the car and have just updated the Maps to 2018.

Definitely wasn't standard with Columbus 9.2" up to build week 38. I knew it was an option and did not go for it. I'd use a wifi hotspot from the phone when I needed it.

If I did have it then I'd configure to use the rSIM profile so it just took over the SIM in the phone and then all phone and data was handled by the car and the phone only provided the SIM via Bluetooth.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up my MY18 Sportline last week and it does have a SIM slot. Just got myself a SIM only contract for £5/month giving me 2.25gb/month of 4g data.

Presumably its a simple as putting the sim into the slot and then everything works...or is that a bit hopeful?

Edited by k9matt

With the unit with a SIM card slot, it also supports the Bluetooth rSIM profile so can takeover the SIM in a phone supporting rSIM for data and phone calls. If you have plenty of data on a mobile phone contract, then you shouldn't need  a separate contract and SIM for the car.

I recently changed my phone network over to Vodafone. They we’re offering a deal of 30GB a month for £21. Came with a spare data only SIM card which I put straight in my car. Before, my car connected to my phone via Bluetooth and still does. However now with the data sim in the car it has transformed the Columbus navigation. So much better now. Actually has up to date and accurate live traffic which is fantastic! Really pleased. Was very simple, just put in the sim and it worked. I’d recommend it! 

• Like 1

Only 6 days in to new car and already fed up with faffing with my phone so bunged in a (new) sim with data and its sooo much better and easier for most normal trips (if costing me a few £ each month - I think it will be worth it). Still connects with mobile as well (bluetooth) (or usb when I want google/longer trips) so best of both worlds, but for normal/shorter trips save so much hassle having the in car sim. (But I agree it not needed, just 'nice')

One question someone might know. On the in car sim, I allow it to do data and calls, but for the calls, I have not worked out how to get my contacts or add contact manually to the new sim (and also get piccy of the contacts onto the sim). Any easy ways of doing this we know of? Does not seem to be a manual entry method in the columbus?

I though bung in my phone first then copy the contacts/photo, but the sim size in phone is too small...compared to the larger size in the superb. 

6 minutes ago, BenSh said:

but for the calls, I have not worked out how to get my contacts or add contact manually to the new sim (and also get piccy of the contacts onto the sim).

I've not got a SIM slot for my Columbus but I would have thought the fact the contacts were downloaded from the phone via Bluetooth means they are now stored on the Columbus and don't need to be on the SIM.

A limitation with contacts and SIMs include (1) the spaces for contacts on SIMs is limited, (2) you can only have one number against a name, (3) you cannot store pictures for contacts.

If you really want some of the contact info on the SIM then put the SIM in an adapter to make it fit the phone and copy contacts to the SIM in the phone. But you will not be able to have pictures for contacts.

Been reading all these posts and I’m now so confused. Just had a sneak look at my 2018 L&K ,which I pick up on Tuesday, and it has indeed got a SIM card slot even though I didn’t spec it. Not sure yet if I got the wireless charging box but mine was built in March/early April so I’m hoping I may have clicked for some of the other update to standard items. 

So, my question is : 

if I buy a data only SIM card , what size should I opt for and what will be my benefits? What is the best available deal? 

Can anyone simplify this topic for me please? 

Edited by kevin defty