1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

So.. If I understand right... Its impossible to solve the problem... Updating software just minimising the issue and even not to everyone.

I've just bought karoq 2019 1.5 tsi and it is so annoying to drive, that even all advantages are indifferent for you.

I am owner only for one month, but already wait to sell it... So sad experience of getting know with vag...

• 1 month later...

Maybe it's unrelated to the 1.5 tsi problem, but my Octavia 3 with the smaller 1.2 tsi engine does exactly the same jerking/hesitating in the 1st and 2nd gear as you described. I have the car for six month now and taken it it to the Skoda service few month ago. I was told there, that it's due to the way I handling the clutch. It's always easy to blame the driver, but I knew this from past experience.

Now, I have taken it a bit further, so got myself an OBD2 reader to read the fault codes, but found nothing. No misfires or anything else.  I have found the throttle behaviour a bit strange, but it's maybe normal. When the throttle is in idling position and the engine is not running the relative throttle position is at around 16%. When just slightly pressing the pedal it drops to 10-12%. When the engine is running it's just doing the opposite, so the engine revs up quickly to 1500rpm, then drops suddenly to 600rpm. Sometimes even bellow 600rpm causing the jerking or stalling.

I would exclude the carbon buildup as it usually would causes jerking at higher revs and the car has low milage. Now, some of you saying that the ECU software upgrade would cure this issue partially or completely. How can I read the ECU revision and how can I found the latest ECU updates if any ? I guess Skoda won't tell me...

12 hours ago, apple_pie said:

Now, some of you saying that the ECU software upgrade would cure this issue partially or completely. How can I read the ECU revision and how can I found the latest ECU updates if any ? I guess Skoda won't tell me...

Skoda will tell you what they have recorded on their database. Use the online chat feature at Skoda website and ask for it.

@apple_pie Well worth posting in the Octavia section as really a 2015 Euro 5 or 6 1.2 TSI having issues is unrelated to those that came with a Euro 6 1.5TSI.

?

How many miles has your car done and has it had new spark plugs fitted.

It could maybe do with new ones even though no 'Misfires' are being logged.

apple_pie,

I think they will tell you.

But it was interesting - when I came to official dealer and showed them printed screen of list of ECU and SWs they asked me "where did you get that? It's information only for internal use for Skoda". But after that they told me what firmware I had and that they updated it to last one (9xxx)

MJ1,

do you have the issue? I see  your car is same as mine? On bad roads for example?

Do you feel like engine braking without pressing brakes by driver?

1 hour ago, e-Roottoot said:

@apple_pie Well worth posting in the Octavia section as really a 2015 Euro 5 or 6 1.2 TSI having issues is unrelated to those that came with a Euro 6 1.5TSI.

?

How many miles has your car done and has it had new spark plugs fitted.

It could maybe do with new ones even though no 'Misfires' are being logged.

It's got 47000 km/29000 mi and the plugs were exchanged at 35000 km according to the service history.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yura_EX said:

MJ1,

do you have the issue? I see  your car is same as mine? On bad roads for example?

Do you feel like engine braking without pressing brakes by driver?

Hi the "characteristic" i have is after start the car is a bit Jerky, not a major issue but not what I would call smooth. Even noticeable this morning as I had A/C on.

I don't think it is what you are describing as nothing to do with road, more an issue at low speed at start up.  Car is good bar this feature, just a bit of a slight niggle that not as smooth as I Would think it should be.

5 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Was that at 4 year?   Unless you were watching them actually replaced I would check the plugs and see what the gap is at now.

The plugs were replaced in 2019, so two years ago. I would consider them fresh after 12000 km.

@apple_pie so would i consider them fresh after 1,2000 km,

but to be sure to be sure i would be checking them. 

20 minutes whipping them out & then replacing and that is the end of that and move on to what the next thing to check is.

Edited by e-Roottoot

@User2 Thank you for your reply!

I really want to try same car, but I can not find someone who I know and have it in my city.

Because I seriuosly thinking about selling the car only after 2.5 months after buying - because of that punching on bad roads on 1st gear. I just cant relax in my car in the city - every time I am waiting for this issue - car will be braking without my will... So annoying. But in everything else - it s very very good car for me and suits exactly my needs... 

14 hours ago, User2 said:

Just adding my 2 cents here, I had the 1.5 TSI Karoq (DSG) for over two years now.

No issues/complaints whatsoever. Both my wife and I love the car and would buy it again.  

Yes - I think it is generally agreed that this issue does not affect the DSG versions of the 1.5 engine.

The software that runs the gearbox reacts much more quickly than our minds could ever do, and will smooth out the 'nose diving / kangarooing' motion that happens with the 1.5 manual version.

• 2 weeks later...

Our 2018 1.5 TSI Edition suffered with the kangarooing problem and I put up with it until the first service. The local dealership carried out the engine mapping modification. The technician told me at the time our car was a guinea pig for them as it was the first time they had done so.

It totally cured the problem. The very small (27 square mile) rock on which we live ensures that it is 95% urban driving and is probably as good a test as the car could get.

It's a great car and a few people, badge snobs included, have told me how refined it is and how surprised they were that it was a Skoda. One particular Lexus owner was bragging of all the gizmos that were included on his vehicle. The Karoq Edition matched everything his car had, except for adaptive cruise control. His car lacked the bottom of door courtesy lights. I know which of those two I find more useful at night, when it is very wet.

Hi to all,

First of all, my apologize I'm not the Skoda owner but VW Tiguan, MY 2021 with 1.5 TSI engine manual, 1month old with 2800km (!!?)

Since day 1 the car was very strange in 1. and 2. gear, it was like it is going to choke or like there was problem with fuel delivery, other gears fully normal. RON E5 100 petrol is only used. Went with family on longer trip and then the nightmare begins... after 400km the gearbox started to make strange and loud noise. Car was towed to vw garage - 1st, 2nd and revrse gears are fully damaged, crumbled - factory error. Imediately ordered new gearbox but I refuse to take back new car which will be totally disassembled.

Over dealer where I bought the car I'm demanding totally new car, since they admitted it is factory error.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the same noise that first appeared on my Tiguan... don't want to disturb you but, go to garage for gearbox check. As I was told why in roundabouts, because this upper part of gearbox gets out of oil and not being lubricated and by the time get worse and worse and metal starts to crack 

Also 1.5tsi? MY? Km?

14k miles hmm I'll have to get it down to Skoda Southend payday so they can give it a look. I do have a warranty for up to 1k from the seller valid for 12 months so will see how it all pans out.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

Found the main plausible explanation for the kangaroo.

As you probably know, the 1.5tsi engine does not have an EGR, the egr is replaced by the valves overlap, "scavenging" the exhaust gasses in order to minimize the NOx.

It is all about the inlet and exhaust valves overlap and recirculate the smoke more that is should, it is not a mistake, is almost the same thing like #dieselgate.

So the fix is to remap the ECU with the map for the exhaust valves that should be minimum retard(or to remain on zero)  in order to not overlap with the advance of the inlet valves.

Please, if someone has the possibility to check these 2 maps and post them then we can be 100% sure and probably someone smart enough can do the hole map and test it.

Sorry for my bad english :)image.jpeg.f088e82096f4fb588ea547b62249174b.jpegimage.jpeg.41833c8e945dcd744a138ec15c977bf1.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 19/05/2023 at 10:14, cri1410sti said:

Hello,

Found the main plausible explanation for the kangaroo.

As you probably know, the 1.5tsi engine does not have an EGR, the egr is replaced by the valves overlap, "scavenging" the exhaust gasses in order to minimize the NOx.

It is all about the inlet and exhaust valves overlap and recirculate the smoke more that is should, it is not a mistake, is almost the same thing like #dieselgate.

So the fix is to remap the ECU with the map for the exhaust valves that should be minimum retard(or to remain on zero)  in order to not overlap with the advance of the inlet valves.

Please, if someone has the possibility to check these 2 maps and post them then we can be 100% sure and probably someone smart enough can do the hole map and test it.

Sorry for my bad english :)image.jpeg.f088e82096f4fb588ea547b62249174b.jpegimage.jpeg.41833c8e945dcd744a138ec15c977bf1.jpeg

Hello,

My kangaroo was fixed 2 days ago by the dealer with an ECU sw update from 0863 to 1910.

Karoq 2021 - 1.5tsi 150hp DPCA, Mq281-UET

Thank you.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/08/2023 at 15:49, cri1410sti said:

Hello,

My kangaroo was fixed 2 days ago by the dealer with an ECU sw update from 0863 to 1910.

Karoq 2021 - 1.5tsi 150hp DPCA, Mq281-UET

Thank you.

The kangaroo is known and it is 99% -the wrong injection map.

As you probably know, on wltp, the measurements are made straight when you start the engine.

VW needs to keep wltp co2 at the same levels like they homologated the engine/car.

When the engine is cold there are 2-5 injections (at ~160bar) so that the gas particles should not reach the cylinder wall and condensate there.

Also that why the 1.5tsi engines are not reaching at normal temperatures in short time, because is used too less gas.

You can find the injection info in the ssp-555, the engine is forced to work in the stratified mode too early (and not homogenous mode) in order to have a low consumption, and from there is resulting the low torque/kangaroo.

Edited by cri1410sti
  • Thanks 3