1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

Was stll  -1 yesterday morning when I set off . The engine took a little longer to warm up  and as I have to drive through a built up area, can't go above 30mph, I noticed when I got to a straight open section, travelling in third gear at a constant 30mph you could feel a gentle lurching motion. Even when I reached the 40 mph section I could still feel the lurching after I had changed up to fourth and increased my speed.

There really is something badly wrong with the fuel mapping in the crucial rev range.

Has anybody else noticed, now that the weather has turned cold that the kangarooing is not just in 1st gear ?

Yes, definately some lurching as you say in higher gears, but worse in 1st and 2nd.   And definately, in my case, more extreme in cold weather.

I too have sent details to Watchdog, as previously mentioned and now I am starting to writing reviews to spread word.

Skoda it’s self said it was not a safety issue and as they knew the problem they were in the process of getting a fix for it. So Skoda Fi acne said there was no grounds  to refuse the car, as the manufacturer has to be aloud to fix it.

yes I had to drive it as it’s a company car and the only car the dealership could offer was a Citigo. Well this is no good going to Scotland and back.

the main issue is that if this defect is still there in new cars being delivered then dealerships and Skoda are selling cars knowing there is a fault. That has to be wrong 

Agree totally. They should not be selling this car to people. Skoda are on very dodgy ground with all this. Owners have given Skoda the opportunity to fix problems but they can't! Consumers do not have to wait indefinitely for a repair. They have rights.

Well I've nicknamed mine Skippy the Kangarooing Karoq! Hopefully I should have time to take into the dealers tomorrow. Drove over 150 miles today stopped for about 20 mins at the service's so didn't really cool down that much as the outside temp was 11c. As I drove away it bounced it's  way out of the car park. 1st gear is definitely the worse but 2nd is also not so good.

14 hours ago, martin1199 said:

Skoda it’s self said it was not a safety issue and as they knew the problem they were in the process of getting a fix for it. So Skoda Fi acne said there was no grounds  to refuse the car, as the manufacturer has to be aloud to fix it.

yes I had to drive it as it’s a company car and the only car the dealership could offer was a Citigo. Well this is no good going to Scotland and back.

the main issue is that if this defect is still there in new cars being delivered then dealerships and Skoda are selling cars knowing there is a fault. That has to be wrong 

13 hours ago, LittleOwl said:

Agree totally. They should not be selling this car to people. Skoda are on very dodgy ground with all this. Owners have given Skoda the opportunity to fix problems but they can't! Consumers do not have to wait indefinitely for a repair. They have rights.

Totally agree.

I bought mine, unknowingly, but it was bought after Skoda and I believe the dealer were aware of the FAULT.

Unfortunately, unless you are prepared to go to Court , Martin's response from Skoda is typical. I don't agree with Skoda and the dealers saying they have to be given the chance to fix - we have given them the chance by taking our cars back to the dealer. Promising a fix sometime never is not playing fair.

I would urge everybody who has this fault to take the car to the dealers, if they haven't already done so.

Skoda seem to show no urgency in fixing this and the dealers aren't interested once they've got your money. You would have thought that the dealers would also be harassing Skoda for a fix. Sadly, I don't think they are.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, R1200R said:

Was stll  -1 yesterday morning when I set off . The engine took a little longer to warm up  and as I have to drive through a built up area, can't go above 30mph, I noticed when I got to a straight open section, travelling in third gear at a constant 30mph you could feel a gentle lurching motion. Even when I reached the 40 mph section I could still feel the lurching after I had changed up to fourth and increased my speed.

There really is something badly wrong with the fuel mapping in the crucial rev range.

Has anybody else noticed, now that the weather has turned cold that the kangarooing is not just in 1st gear ?

Could that be the ECO mode at low speeds (2 cylinder mode)?

Just spoken with Skoda Preston explaining the issue. The technical support person that they haven't had any issues at all with the Karoq. She did say that it may be the start stop feature making it jumpy. Try turning it off when starting up and driving with it off until warm. I obviously said this isn't a fix but will try.

Well that just proves they no nothing just show them these notes.

as gorvsaying it may be stop start well we know that’s not right. The next thing they will say is that it may be the handbrake resting it’s srlf and again we know that’s not right as well 

5 minutes ago, fidelio said:

Disapointing VW group, once again and Skoda is no different unfortunately.

For me it started 25 years ago with BMW and now all manufacturers use the same ploy...…. 'not aware - no previous complaints - etc' ….. and they say it with such straight faces....further, if you point out the gripe / failing is all over the internet they feign ignorance,..... as if.

I'd very much like to place an order for a Karoq but it won't be a 1.5 …. despite the anti-diesel sentiment I was going to throw caution to the wind but it seems the current 1.6 is blighted with overly regular 'regen' actions as well as 'adblue' and the 1.0 is 'not available'..... I worry that when it returns with its 'certificate' it won't be the same …… remember Randle McMurphy when he was returned to the ward?

I wanted to lease a 1.5 dsg Edition so attempted to place an order at the end of July, Skoda pulled this model and I was told that the 1.5 dsg Sel was still available, unfortunately to spec this up to Edition level would have increased the price to a unreasonable level. Then WTLP kicked in and things went t*ts up even more, I then decided to look for an alternative and found a great leasing deal on a Volvo XC60 which actually worked out slightly cheaper to lease than the Karoq Edition so ordered the XC60 which is being delivered 11th January, having followed this thread from day 1 I am glad that I didn’t go for the Karoq.

20 hours ago, R1200R said:

That lurching etc. would do my head in and I'd be very disappointed with the car.

Skoda should have called it the Crock, as in Crock of s***!

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fidelio said:

Could that be the ECO mode at low speeds (2 cylinder mode)?

No it wasn't in eco mode i.e.2 cylinders. Doubt it would go into eco mode on a cold engine. Stop start will also not activate until the engine is at normal operating temp.

4 hours ago, Sieski said:

Just spoken with Skoda Preston explaining the issue. The technical support person that they haven't had any issues at all with the Karoq. She did say that it may be the start stop feature making it jumpy. Try turning it off when starting up and driving with it off until warm. I obviously said this isn't a fix but will try.

Funny, they've never heard of the problem before but they can offer up a possible get around. If you believe that, are you interested in my sure fire investment ?

3 hours ago, Raymondo111 said:

I wanted to lease a 1.5 dsg Edition so attempted to place an order at the end of July, Skoda pulled this model and I was told that the 1.5 dsg Sel was still available, unfortunately to spec this up to Edition level would have increased the price to a unreasonable level. Then WTLP kicked in and things went t*ts up even more, I then decided to look for an alternative and found a great leasing deal on a Volvo XC60 which actually worked out slightly cheaper to lease than the Karoq Edition so ordered the XC60 which is being delivered 11th January, having followed this thread from day 1 I am glad that I didn’t go for the Karoq.

If only I had the prior knowledge you've been able to get. One doesn't think that you have to google problems with a new car that gets fantastic write-ups/ recommendations in the motoring press. Learnt my lesson this time though. As the Who say "Won't get fooled again"

15 minutes ago, Offski said:

Re Stop / Start. 

it will function before coolant get to 90*oC or oil even to 50*oC let alone 80-90*oC, so it does not need 'Normal Operating temp' to operate.

I bow to your superior knowledge. I was thinking it would be the same as my previous cars (not skoda but VAG ) in which the stop/start wouldn't activate unless the engine was at operating temp.

It wasn't, however in eco mode according to the dash.

6 hours ago, Sieski said:

Hi @seiko yes it was 

SIMPSONS SKODA PRESTON . I didn't get her name as I was driving. At least the hands free works very well. I'm planning on popping in when I get chance. 

Tell them to speak with Skoda UK who are more than aware of this fault.

Same nonsense from the dealers :@

Also....is selling something with a known fault actually allowed? Should they be pulled from sale until a fix is Found? 

Imagine you buy a TV from John Lewis and the sound will only work on full volume, they would have to take it back. Also what if it got out in the press they were knowingly selling faulty televisions? The press would be all over it!

A car is a potentially lethal weapon especially one that could lurch or stall in front of oncoming traffic! I'd say Skoda are a disgrace but it seems to be standard practice by a lot of the manufacturers.

• Like 1