1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

My Karoq lurched out and stalled this afternoon when I was pulling out from a junction onto a main road through a village. There's a partially hidden bend before the junction and I was very lucky that nothing was approaching from that direction; I shall be at the dealer's tomorrow. The car has now done ~1900 miles and the problem is getting worse .......... colder weather?

I have the Karoq 1.5 Tsi SEL manual and it bunnyhops as well. It is impossible to live with that. After one week I have decided to take it back to the dealer for diagnostic next week. If they can't fix it, which is 99% chance they won't fix it because it is design flaw, I have informed the salesman that I will reject the car. 

This surely can’t be just a Skoda thing, it must be through the whole of VAG with all the shared components. Has anyone heard anything from other branches of vag?  Also it definitely must be a manual thing as my auto has none of these complaints, it can be a bit rough if I start from cold and go to drive away straight away, but you should leave it to warm up for at least 30seconds I find then it’s fine.  Had the same with my 1.4tfsi dsg Octavia too.  Also did any of you guys notice this issue when you test drove the car before purchasing?  I’ve had mine a week now and done a few hundred miles in it and it’s great. Fuel consumption isn’t as good as Octavia though....... yet.

@OzzyP83  Just so everyone can be clear.  Is your car that has done a few hundred miles a MY19 1.5 TSI DSG that is a WLTP Certificated one and First Registered after September 2018?

So not a Pre Registered car without WLTP Approval.

PS

Others are reporting the same issues with other VW Group Models, and have been for months.

http://honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/t-roc-2018/good

Edited by Offski

36 minutes ago, OzzyP83 said:

This surely can’t be just a Skoda thing, it must be through the whole of VAG with all the shared components. Has anyone heard anything from other branches of vag?  Also it definitely must be a manual thing as my auto has none of these complaints, it can be a bit rough if I start from cold and go to drive away straight away, but you should leave it to warm up for at least 30seconds I find then it’s fine.  Had the same with my 1.4tfsi dsg Octavia too.  Also did any of you guys notice this issue when you test drove the car before purchasing?  I’ve had mine a week now and done a few hundred miles in it and it’s great. Fuel consumption isn’t as good as Octavia though....... yet.

I test driven 1.0 tsi manual. The dealer told me that they can't get hold off any 1.5 Tsi manual... after purchasing it, I know why!

Just to add my input I've had no kangarooing issues at all. 1.5 SE Technology manual 1st registered July 18.

Little bit disappointed with the fuel economy & power coming from an Octavia diesel vrs but otherwise happy with the drive, position & manoeuvreability of the car.

Been back & forth to Sheffield over the Snake pass recently & no problems.

Am I the lucky one ?

We have rejected our car but unfortunately bought through Skoda Finance so have to go through them. Just received an email from Skoda UK Customer Services saying they will not support a rejection as a "characteristic of the 1.5 engine" and it's " the normal operational function of this vehicle engine derivative", but they also acknowledge that this issue is not of the quality expected - an absolute crystal clear reason for rejecting a car under Consumer Right Act. They have not addressed whether this is a safety issue or not. We have refused to take car back. We are awaiting formal reply from Skoda Finance. We will be taking legal action if necessary. All owners now need to start playing hardball

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Previouslyrobygerrard said:

Just to add my input I've had no kangarooing issues at all. 1.5 SE Technology manual 1st registered July 18.

Little bit disappointed with the fuel economy & power coming from an Octavia diesel vrs but otherwise happy with the drive, position & manoeuvreability of the car.

Been back & forth to Sheffield over the Snake pass recently & no problems.

Am I the lucky one ?

I got mine end of June and did not have this behavior initialy. After a software update of the ECU, the problem appeared. So it must me from some point onwards that they have the problem. 

• Like 1

AUTOCAR is published weekly and owned by the same publishers that have WHAT CAR / PISTONHEADS. 

and is also Online. 

AUTOCAR is a VW fanboy but sometimes they need to grow some. No point always giving cars rave reviews and making Car of the year etc.

Has anyone contacted them?

AUTO EXPRESS is also published weekly, has anyone contacted them?   They can not also sup at the cup of VW Group and be deaf dumb and blind!

Edited by Offski

1 hour ago, Offski said:

@OzzyP83  Just so everyone can be clear.  Is your car that has done a few hundred miles a MY19 1.5 TSI DSG that is a WLTP Certificated one and First Registered after September 2018?

So not a Pre Registered car without WLTP Approval.

PS

Others are reporting the same issues with other VW Group Models, and have been for months.

http://honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/t-roc-2018/good

Yes has Wltp certification and first registered November 2018. I have another question for the manual drivers. Does this issue happen if you put on sports mode? If so it’s down to throttle mapping and is a software issue which should be easily programmed out. If vw accept liability. I still think it’s 100% down to running the engines lean for emissions. I also don’t think it’s noticeable on dsg models because the clutch is computer controlled and smooths everything out. 

1 hour ago, OzzyP83 said:

Yes has Wltp certification and first registered November 2018. I have another question for the manual drivers. Does this issue happen if you put on sports mode? If so it’s down to throttle mapping and is a software issue which should be easily programmed out. If vw accept liability. I still think it’s 100% down to running the engines lean for emissions. I also don’t think it’s noticeable on dsg models because the clutch is computer controlled and smooths everything out. 

Mine is in  normal mode and it kangaroos bad.

58 minutes ago, Steele said:

58 minutes ago, Steele said:

Mine does does it hot or cold and in every mode. This really is crap! They appear not to give a ****!!

Seems that no one  at AVG is being honest with any of us I believe. If that is not the case, why are we all being told different things?? (No need for replies, I believe I know the ansnwer already)

The customer service has been appalling. Why have THEY not contacted everyone affected and updated us as to what is REALLY happening? (Once again, answers not required) 

This is my last  AVG product. I have lost faith in this company.

On 01/11/2018 at 22:02, martin1199 said:

Its official from Skoda that the noisy engine and the kangarooing is normal for this car, and that are looking at an update sometime in the future, ( or how long is a piece of string). You all need to keep on at your dealerships.

Do you have a source for the official information? I would be interested in the details.

Edited by hirez

On 01/11/2018 at 14:52, silver1011 said:

My 2018 1.4 TSI 150PS manual Kodiaq isn't especially smooth when in Eco mode (i.e. when running on less than 4 cylinders).

It sounds, and feels through the pedals, like it's misfiring, which I guess it actually is!

I also easily recognize when my 1.5 ACT kicks in. It does it at all speeds and gears. As long as my foot is just lightly on the accelerator.  I thought it would mostly be just a highway cruise thing

• Like 1

Last couple of rides I've been letting the engine tickover in neutral before I set off. It first goes to 1200 rpm than after 20sec it goes to 1000 rpm and after either 30 or so sec it goes to 800 rpm - only when that happens I set off.... and fingers crossed xxx it seems to have 90 % eliminated the bunny hopping. 

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:47, OzzyP83 said:

Which was my worst fear confirmed!

I've had 9 VWG cars on the trot, mainly VW and Audis, but unless they get this problem sorted properly next year it's reluctantly going to be my last as I want a petrol with a decent sized engine e.g. minimum of 1.5. I've already started looking at the Mini Countryman Cooper S again. Not everyone's cup of tea I know and it has a firm ride but my wife has had 3 Minis (so she likes the Countryman) and I have a TT which are on the firm side so we can live with that though for the non-sporty car we'd prefer something more supple. And we can have a 2.0 with 2 wheel drive which is what I really want.

I'm just so exasperated with VWG that despite what they say (rebuilding customer trust after dieselgate!) they are treating customers with their usual contempt and building cars with design defects yet again.

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:09, fidelio said:

I got mine end of June and did not have this behavior initialy. After a software update of the ECU, the problem appeared. So it must me from some point onwards that they have the problem. 

So not a "characteristic" of the engine as Littleowl was told otherwise it would always have issues despite what software it was running.

Well it had another behavior. It would rev up the minute you started releasing the clutch without any throttle. The revs were very sensitive when pulling away.

It was something you got used to very quickly and did not bother me.

Back then i thought it was a simple anti-stall mechanism but now it comes to thought that it was just a way to camouflage the "feature" of kangarooing.

1 hour ago, VAGCF said:

Which was my worst fear confirmed!

I've had 9 VWG cars on the trot, mainly VW and Audis, but unless they get this problem sorted properly next year it's reluctantly going to be my last as I want a petrol with a decent sized engine e.g. minimum of 1.5. I've already started looking at the Mini Countryman Cooper S again. Not everyone's cup of tea I know and it has a firm ride but my wife has had 3 Minis (so she likes the Countryman) and I have a TT which are on the firm side so we can live with that though for the non-sporty car we'd prefer something more supple. And we can have a 2.0 with 2 wheel drive which is what I really want.

I'm just so exasperated with VWG that despite what they say (rebuilding customer trust after dieselgate!) they are treating customers with their usual contempt and building cars with design defects yet again.

I totally agree!! Last 8 cars have  been AVG products but this one, not the cars fault, but AVG’s, has told me to go elsewhere next time.

11 hours ago, Steele said:

Last couple of rides I've been letting the engine tickover in neutral before I set off. It first goes to 1200 rpm than after 20sec it goes to 1000 rpm and after either 30 or so sec it goes to 800 rpm - only when that happens I set off.... and fingers crossed xxx it seems to have 90 % eliminated the bunny hopping. 

Mine is exactly the same, rpm wise. BUT it hasn't made the slightest difference, in my case, to the kangarooing.

Tried all the "fixes" :- warm up, different modes, turn off auto-stop/start, blip the throttle to release brake etc etc etc. None have worked and now the weather is getting colder, it's worse than ever.

I've had 8 VW group cars on the trot and this is certainly going to be my last.  VW Group just play you along, nobody on here seems to have been given any definite information and the dealers couldn't give a **** (use whatever word suits)