1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

It's strange how all of the hundreds of motoring magazine journalist that test drove the Karoq before it went on sale to the masses didn't pick up on this issue? Maybe all of the treats and goodies supplied by manufactures disguised the problem. Or am I just being cynical!

Edited by Livrishind
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Gaz1985 said:

Yes and they are aware 

I’ve just spoken to Alex Lawrie and they’ve put me on the ‘list’ apparently I’m only the third person that has registered the problem at that particular dealership and they’ve only found out about it in that last 2 weeks. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Markyj said:

I’ve just spoken to Alex Lawrie and they’ve put me on the ‘list’ apparently I’m only the third person that has registered the problem at that particular dealership and they’ve only found out about it in that last 2 weeks. 

Haha I would take that with a massive handful of salt! Apparently I was about the 3rd to have registered the issue with them. Let's face it there will be plenty more on their list!  Everyone will only be about the 3rd to report it!

I think they are being rather modest and are just trying to play it down in regards to reputational damage limitation and all. (the dealership that is - not VAG, their reputation is already hmmm how to put it politely..marred?)

Hello all from a long time lurker on the Karoq forum!

Just swapped my 65-plate O3 1.4 manual SE-L estate for a new Karoq 1.5 manual SE-L.  Overall I'm loving my Karoq but sadly it is of the antipodean marsupial persuasion. Hence this post.

Whilst I was aware of the potential kangaroo issue, having regularly read this discussion thread (many thanks to one and all), I'd decided the Karoq was the only car that ticked all my requirement boxes, having discounted the direct competitors in the price range:- Qashqai, Tuscon and Kona, Sportage and Niro, anything French!

Like everyone else, I would like this issue resolved so here is my addition to the discussion.

First, I experienced the hopping the other morning after 20 minutes of driving, so the car was warm.  I was in a queue and moving forward slowly in 1st without any pressure on the pedals.  As the traffic started moving a bit faster, I gently pressed the accelerator by about 1cm then held it there and the car started to hop.  A bit more accelerator and it ceased.  In general driving all seems ok.

One thing I noticed one evening backing out of my work parking space was a pulsing or oscillating noise (say between 1-5 Hz rate of repeat).  Power steering?  Oil pump?  Not sure, but this rate of load change could be responsible?  Anyone else noticed anything similar.  Not heard it since so would explain the variability.

Anyways, I'm living with it at the moment but have reported it to the dealer, both the salesman and now the service dept.  The latter told me a few things I'd like to share with you all...

1. He said there has already been an attempted software fix for it (sorry don't recall the dates he mentioned) but that this should already be on my car.
  2. He confirmed Skoda were looking into the issue at the factory but didn't give a date for resolving it.
  3. He suggested using Eco mode and Shell V-Power fuel rather than supermarket varieties. A salesmen running a 1.5 manual had made these changes and things improved. I shall try Eco mode, and the fuel at next fill up, but I read here that these did not work for others.
  4. He put me on the list to be notified if/when the fix becomes available.

That's all for now folks!

Keith

• Like 1

@keiroha Hi, welcome to the Karoo club!

Personally I would save your time and money.

In my case I have used Shell V-Power since new - the problem has always been there. 

I have found driving in Eco mode does not improve things, just dulls the throttle response and makes the driving experience more of a chore.

But by all means try it.

32 minutes ago, keiroha said:

Hello all from a long time lurker on the Karoq forum!

Just swapped my 65-plate O3 1.4 manual SE-L estate for a new Karoq 1.5 manual SE-L.  Overall I'm loving my Karoq but sadly it is of the antipodean marsupial persuasion. Hence this post.

Whilst I was aware of the potential kangaroo issue, having regularly read this discussion thread (many thanks to one and all), I'd decided the Karoq was the only car that ticked all my requirement boxes, having discounted the direct competitors in the price range:- Qashqai, Tuscon and Kona, Sportage and Niro, anything French!

Like everyone else, I would like this issue resolved so here is my addition to the discussion.

First, I experienced the hopping the other morning after 20 minutes of driving, so the car was warm.  I was in a queue and moving forward slowly in 1st without any pressure on the pedals.  As the traffic started moving a bit faster, I gently pressed the accelerator by about 1cm then held it there and the car started to hop.  A bit more accelerator and it ceased.  In general driving all seems ok.

One thing I noticed one evening backing out of my work parking space was a pulsing or oscillating noise (say between 1-5 Hz rate of repeat).  Power steering?  Oil pump?  Not sure, but this rate of load change could be responsible?  Anyone else noticed anything similar.  Not heard it since so would explain the variability.

Anyways, I'm living with it at the moment but have reported it to the dealer, both the salesman and now the service dept.  The latter told me a few things I'd like to share with you all...

1. He said there has already been an attempted software fix for it (sorry don't recall the dates he mentioned) but that this should already be on my car.
  2. He confirmed Skoda were looking into the issue at the factory but didn't give a date for resolving it.
  3. He suggested using Eco mode and Shell V-Power fuel rather than supermarket varieties. A salesmen running a 1.5 manual had made these changes and things improved. I shall try Eco mode, and the fuel at next fill up, but I read here that these did not work for others.
  4. He put me on the list to be notified if/when the fix becomes available.

That's all for now folks!

Keith

I was advised by my service manager to try V Power fuel in Eco mode.

It had no effect at all!’

But  please try it.

Are you able to say who your dealer was?

Just interested to see if mine are still pushing the same line.

15 hours ago, Gaz1985 said:

@Markyj They revealed the document shown earlier in the thread stating 2nd quarter of 2019.

Now, that may be when the update is expected / released, but when customers are called in for the update to be applied who knows. I was informed that now that I have made them aware and my vehicle is on the affected list, I will be notified to arrange an appointment for the update. I assume that is opposed to being notified at the time of the next scheduled service, or have it done sneakily without you knowing.

So if you're vehicle is affected I would take it in and have it documented and get yourself on 'the list'.

Careful with rushing things, you might get a fix for this but ruin who knows what else. I would personally wait a few months before going in to get the update and ask opinions from people who did it, not necessarily on request but maybe as normal service intervention.

• Like 1

Honest John in the Telegraph made this comment earlier this week.

The whisper is that VW is well aware of a problem on 1.5 TSI Evo 150 engines subjected to the new WLTP emissions and fuel consumption tests, and is working to cure low-speed jerkiness. It should be coming through in the next few weeks and is worth the wait. Deliveries of new cars with this engine have been held up as a result.

• Like 1

Today it was minus 1.5C and was driving wife's Karoq. When I was doing a constant 30mph in 4th gear there felt like a pulsing through the gas pedal like someone else had control of it. It was a bit like the feeling you get when the ACT kicks in and the eco light comes up on the dashboard. This feels like the gas pedal is being pulled away from you. I have very sensitive feet and it just feels very odd, which points to some weird software fuel mapping. If it wasn't for the known fault I would have had it remapped by now at AmD in Essex and they could probably find a cure for this problem. Slightly tongue in cheek heard the fix will arrive on the QE2 so might take longer than expected if it is currently on the round the world cruise.:tongueout:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, xman said:

Yeah I heard they abandoned the world cruise thing because of he kangarooing with its engines. Obviously some fussy passengers complained despite being told its simply a "characteristic"

:giggle:

Lol!!Still amazes me that it is being passed off as a “characteristic”. I wonder if they will change the brochures and marketing to reflect this. I think the TV advert would look quite good with a new Kangeroq being driven by Paloma Faith and kangarooing down those roads  

Edited by Sean191
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sean191 said:

Lol!!Still amazes me that it is being passed off as a “characteristic”. I wonder if they will change the brochures and marketing to reflect this. I think the TV advert would look quite good with a new Kangeroq being driven by Paloma Faith and kangarooing down those roads  

And then stalling it with everyone around flashing their lights and getting annoyed 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Today it was minus 1.5C and was driving wife's Karoq. When I was doing a constant 30mph in 4th gear there felt like a pulsing through the gas pedal like someone else had control of it. It was a bit like the feeling you get when the ACT kicks in and the eco light comes up on the dashboard. This feels like the gas pedal is being pulled away from you. I have very sensitive feet and it just feels very odd, which points to some weird software fuel mapping. If it wasn't for the known fault I would have had it remapped by now at AmD in Essex and they could probably find a cure for this problem.

See my earlier post, I reported similar. I think we are both getting finely tuned in to noticing how the car is driving. Sometimes, although I can't explain clearly, it seems to drive really weird as though one driving wheel is faster than it's pair yet at other times, excepting the kangarooing, it drives like a dream. If you are sensitive on the pedals you can feel it.

Like an F1 driver, perhaps I am becoming super sensitive to every element of it's driving behaviour. Will have to start driving in my hiking boots and turning up the music. Never driven a car like this before.

Hi All.

My 1.5 manual has know done 15000 in 5 months. It still kangaroos in all temps. But has anyone noticed that under load i.e full throttle in 3.4th you feel hesitation or slight missing as if the fuel or plugs are miss firing? It is only slight but noticeably or is it that I am getting to sensitive.