1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

38 minutes ago, Rustyman said:

After investigation by the dealership, the kangarooing on our Karoq 1.5Tsi manual was confirmed. Later that same day I met with the general manager and handed in a letter of rejection together with the keys to the vehicle, which we had owned for 28 days.

Within the letter we stated we required a replacement  vehicle or a full refund. We also said that we did not want a Karoq with a petrol engine preferring a return to diesel. We were told that Skoda UK were still not accepting the kangarooing as an actual fault. However I pointed out that we had not bought the vehicle from Skoda UK.

Our dealership were very fair and decent  and the situation was dealt with calmly and professionally. I received a telephone call later the same day asking us to  confirm that we would be happy to receive a replacement vehicle.

Two weeks later we were the owners of a new 68 plate Karoq 1.6Tdi Sel Dsg, same colour as before with 9 delivery miles on the clock; a straight swop. It now has 700 miles on the clock, no kangarooing, no flat spots. Diesel was our choice and at the moment we are very happy with the car.

My wife and I hope that all the people on this site get their 1st gear problem  sorted and we wish you well. But please remember you bought your vehicle from a dealer, not Skoda UK and you have to be prepared to go all the way. Our dealer was prepared to listen and dealt fairly with us.

We would also like to thank all those on this thread for the information we gathered.

Another 1 owner low mileage appearing on a forecourt near you APPROVED USED SKODA with a 12 month guarantee and no word from the salesperson selling this LEMON to some unsuspecting member of the public who may not have researched the SKIPPY issue properly and thoroughly unfortunately. We look forward to welcoming them in the coming months on this forum.:tongueout:

1 hour ago, Xtra2 said:

My car was/or stil is on sale at the dealership right the second day - I seen it on the forecourt when I came back the second day after handing the Karoq back with some paperwork. 

Was the sticker price similar to what you had paid for it?

Edited by xman
  • Haha 1

@Xtra2   Can you say the Registration Number of the car you rejected?       Maybe others could also say what the car was they got shot of once all has been finalised.

Maybe others looking at used Skoda 1.5TSI's would like to know if the 'Pre loved' models they look at are ones that were 'Rejected'. 

46 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@Xtra2   Can you say the Registration Number of the car you rejected?       Maybe others could also say what the car was they got shot of once all has been finalised.

Maybe others looking at used Skoda 1.5TSI's would like to know if the 'Pre loved' models they look at are ones that were 'Rejected'. 

DV68SRU. Business Grey 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Rustyman well done for resolving your situation and it shows fairness from your dealer towards yourself.

On the other hand it is poor show from the dealer that they have released the car for immediate sale without waiting to update the software (when it arrives in Q2) to at least see if it resolves the kangerooing issue.

Therefore they are more than happy to sell to the next unsuspecting buyer knowing the issue is present. That could have been you or any of us, just something to bear in mind if you continue to use that particular dealer in the future.

I have bought in the past 2 'rejected cars' ones with known issues that Skoda / VW were in denial over, and 9 years on still are.

They were a bargain as i told the sales person and the manager that i knew and they knew they were rejects, and so the price i bought them for reflected this.

Both had been 'Demonstrators' then sold with over 3,000 miles on them (after 3 months.) then the new owners rejected them.

One is still going strong with its 4th, 5th or what ever registered keeper, the other one is in the scrap yard in the sky.

@Skoffski I can well imagine it's not the first or the last time it would happen. They are a business after all and need to move stock but at the same time you would expect some common courtesy. Who knows, they may well inform the new potential owner there is a software fix in the pipeline... as they bounce down the road on the test drive :D

• Like 1

This is my first post on this forum also. I am from Romania and drive a Golf 1.5 Tsi 150bhp manual and took delivery of it in October 2018.

First, I would like to say I really enjoyed reading this forum because some comments make me laugh, making fun out of this situation is sometimes the best strategy to cope with it. I can also imagine the situation described just a few post above and cannot stop laughing :)

Now related to our issue: my car also kangaroos but on a lesser scale and only when cold (driving off my yard first thing in the morning). However, I found a solution which I would like you to test for yourself, in case it makes any difference: before you drive off for the first time, give it a constant rev for about 10-20 seconds - not too low and not too high. I keep mine at ~1500rpm. During this time, the rev indicator (and enginer as well) jump up and down all over the place, but I keep my foot in the same position without moving it a bit. If you keep it steady you will notice that the revs slowly stabilize. When you see this you are ready to go and normally no kangarooing should occur anymore.

Again, I realize many of you here experience this with also when the engine has warmed up, but there are others like me who only go through this while cold. This method might work.

Related to the cause of the issue, I also believe it has something to do with the clutch sensor - if you gently release the clutch without touching the accelerator pedal there is no kangarooing taking place. I tried this many times and could not make it do it. As soon as the clutch is involved, the behaviour starts manifesting again.

29 minutes ago, JeremyGi said:

I've asked Autoexpress via their Facebook page if they have received any complaints regarding the 1.5 petrol engined Kodias, T-Rocs or Atecas and 'kangarooing or jerkiness.

Ironically they have been running a long term Karoq 1.5Tsi manual in Moon White metallic just like my wife's car yet they haven't mentioned any SKIPPYNESS in several thousand miles of testing and at least 3 reports so far, which is very odd. Or did Skoda UK fiddle with the car before they got their hands on it before giving it to the press (dieselgate again me thinks).:blink:

13 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

The version they have probably has the old 1.4 in it :D

That's an idea, perhaps they track down my MK3 Superb (2016) and swap the engines over for free. They get the MY19 Superb 1.5Tsi and we get a reliable non-bunny hopping Karoq 1.4Tsi manual. Think you may have started something there.:rofl:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

That's an idea, perhaps they track down my MK3 Superb (2016) and swap the engines over for free. They get the MY19 Superb 1.5Tsi and we get a reliable non-bunny hopping Karoq 1.4Tsi manual. Think you may have started something there.:rofl:

It's the Future.... eyeing up the 1.4 in my lads Golf GTI :rofl:

• Haha 1

Gaz 1985, I think you have me mixed up with Xtra2- it was his vehicle put back on sale. I don't know what my dealer has done with my ex- vehicle. I know I would check the vehicle history if I bought a used car, no matter what dealer. I hope you would too. 

I would imagine that anyone reading this forum wouldn't bother touching a 1.5 TSi manual, so knowing the registration number probably wouldn't be of benefit.

• Like 2

AutoTrader have just put up a Youtube video a Living with a ...Skoda Karoq. Although it's a good review of the 1.5TSi overall, the Road Tester had the car for six months, but fortunately for him, it was a December 2017 registered car. Pity he (or AutoTrader) couldn't be persuaded to do a retest using a later 1.5 engine.

• Haha 1