1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

5 minutes ago, Salp said:

Yes, i'm happy to name and shame.    Gemma Gough, apparently the Customer Relations Manager.

Cherrie Cornish is dealing with mine and have escalated to Steph last week. I have spoken with Gemma more than once and She knows perfectly well mine has the problem warm or cold, it's all in the notes and the reports.

18 hours ago, Salp said:

Skoda really are rougues, hiding behind doors.   I wrote to Skoda UK last week, asking them to deal with the FAULT and not to be insulting by calling it a CHARACTERISTIC, copying the message to BBC Watchdog.

Received a response, In which i replied with details off my experience with the dealer to date and that of others who have received no end of excuses.  Also received a phone call, which concluded she would speak to the factory and get back to me this week.  That was after she made it clear that Skoda  UK are only the importers which i gather excludes them from some kind of liability, since she mentioned it on phone and again in the email.

Received message yesterday, which also makes it very clear, that since Skoda do not acknowledge a FAULT, there is NO FIX planned.  Extract of message below:

Like all vehicles the engine takes time to warm up to core operating temperatures. It is correct that we do not consider the engine taking time to warm up to be a defect. We also do not recognise that there is a “kangarooing” problem that is to be fixed and that whilst the engine warms up the vehicle remains fully operable and operates without “jumping and jerking”. In addition, there is not a “fix” as such and I am sorry if this word has been used to confuse matters. ŠKODA like all brands release sequential software updates to get the very best of their vehicles. It is anticipated that this continued improvement may reduce any warm up time but it should not be confused with some form of a repair as there is no underlying defect. Whilst engine warm up times will of course be more noticeable during winter this does not represent a defect.

I hope they don't think, thats the end!  I will explore other avenues and Skoda will be hearing from me again.

What a load of bunkum! No-one considers that the engine requiring time to warm-up is a defect! The kangarooing etc. most certainly is. Never mind that claptrap about issuing software updates to get the very best out of their vehicles - fix the basics first!

When are they going to take their heads out of the sand/come out of denial about this. They are just making themselves look foolish and VWG are not improving their image as they state they are going to do, including being transparent!

The sooner Watchdog gets back on our screens, and hopefully take up the cause, the better.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, onvo said:

Interestingly, in my country 1.4 has been already replaced with 1.5, and 2.0 TSI is only available on FR and Cupra versions, which are very uncomfortable over bumps.

My impression is, that Ateca has better exterior and handling, but worse interior and comfort.

I had a look at the Ateca and thought the interior was very nice (that was after test driving a Karoq) but as others have said it's a pity it's got a black headlining which makes it a little gloomy. I could live with it though but maybe not the firmer ride which is a pity. Only sat in one so far. Why should the interior be worse than the Karoq?

I prefer the look of the front on the Ateca over the Karoq and my ideal would be the 2.0 TSI with front wheel drive but I can't have that. :sadsmile: I've never had four-wheel drive and have no need for it but will maybe have to go with it to get the engine I want.

10 minutes ago, Splitprism said:

Seems like VW have acknowledged there's an issue, maybe no longer a characteristic? http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/owning-1/2019-01/volkswagen-acknowledges-problem-with-15-tsi-evo-engine/

I see that VW are playing it down though with "slight hesitation" and "rare event" etc.

Just what Salp wants though for replying to Skoda UK. Egg on face or what! :D

• Like 1

Now lets see how long before Autocar, What Car, Pistonheads, Auto Express, Car, VW Driver and other journals with Motoring Sections reports what Honest John

has.

PS

The Up-coming Skoda Scala is also to use the 1.5 TSI engine, then maybe the New Skoda Small SUV / Crossover type thing might be.

Lets hope the journalist remember that.

So not just a New VW small SUV / Crossover type vehicle.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

VW Germany acknowledges.

http://honestjohn.co.uk/news/owning-1/2019-01/volkswagen-acknowledges-problem-with-15-tsi-evo-engine

But Skoda UK will try  a while longer the 'We are only importers line'.   So might VW UK.

If they do, they have no right to refuse rejections! Not that they had much right to in my book as it's consumer law, not their decision.

• Like 1

I wrote again to Skoda UK explaining that there were two problems with my 1.5 manual Karoq - the first being the irritating 'kangarooing', the second being its dangerous characteristic of dying upon e.g. pulling out of a junction. This was their latest reply ...

Thank you for your email dated 18 January 2019.

I am sorry to learn of the issues you have raised regarding your ŠKODA KAROQ. Please accept this email as acknowledgement of the concerns you have raised, both on the telephone and via email.

I appreciate your expectations of reliability and build quality are high when you purchase a ŠKODA and any issue you experience can be disappointing.

We are mindful there is a characteristic of the 1.5 engine where a juddering can be felt when starting your vehicle from cold. Please be aware, this is the normal operational function of this vehicle engine derivative and can potentially be experienced until the coolant has reached a temperature of approximately 70°C.

ŠKODA UK always looks to improve the operating parameters of our vehicles during their lifespan and we understand there may be a software update available in 2019, which may enhance this characteristic of your vehicle.

As previously agreed with xxxx xxxxxx, I will contact you on 11 February 2019 to discuss the case and check how the vehicle has been performing.

Should you require anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK.

Kind regards

There has been a complete failure to acknowledge the engine's unpredictable ability to die in dangerous situations. And what's more - I don't want the problems to be "enhanced" I WANT THEM TO BE REMOVED! Where do they get these people from???

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

I wrote again to Skoda UK explaining that there were two problems with my 1.5 manual Karoq - the first being the irritating 'kangarooing', the second being its dangerous characteristic of dying upon e.g. pulling out of a junction. This was their latest reply ...

I am sorry to learn of the issues you have raised regarding your ŠKODA KAROQ. Please accept this email as acknowledgement of the concerns you have raised, both on the telephone and via email.

I appreciate your expectations of reliability and build quality are high when you purchase a ŠKODA and any issue you experience can be disappointing.

We are mindful there is a characteristic of the 1.5 engine where a juddering can be felt when starting your vehicle from cold. Please be aware, this is the normal operational function of this vehicle engine derivative and can potentially be experienced until the coolant has reached a temperature of approximately 70°C.

ŠKODA UK always looks to improve the operating parameters of our vehicles during their lifespan and we understand there may be a software update available in 2019, which may enhance this characteristic of your vehicle.

As previously agreed with xxxx xxxxxx, I will contact you on 11 February 2019 to discuss the case and check how the vehicle has been performing.

Should you require anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

There has been a complete failure to acknowledge the engine's unpredictable ability to die in dangerous situations. And what's more - I don't want the problems to be "enhanced" I WANT THEM TO BE REMOVED! Where do they get these people from???

When they say "don't hesitate to contact me" that sounds like they are taking the mickey rather.:punch:

St Edmund - Well, if that's a normal operational function then the designer wants shooting! Still pushing "characteristic" I see, no it's a ******* fault! Plain and simple.

18 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

Kind regards

Word for word the reply they gave me before I escalated my complaint and pointed out it happens warm or cold and both the dealership and Dekra confirm this, they are now getting my car back in for another dealer to inspect, another delaying tactic!!!

33 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

St Edmund - Well, if that's a normal operational function then the designer wants shooting! Still pushing "characteristic" I see, no it's a ******* fault! Plain and simple.

Steady don't blow a head gasket, sorry that was the Ford Focus RS fitted with the inferior Mustang gasket to save money on the production line, to enhance the customer experience until they went pop.:D

"VW Germany acknowledges.

http://honestjohn.co.uk/news/owning-1/2019-01/volkswagen-acknowledges-problem-with-15-tsi-evo-engine  "

I take this as a very good sign all-round. For anyone who wants to reject their 1.5 Karoq, then this is excellent ammunition - but I also suspect that the fact that VW is admitting to a problem means that they are preparing the ground for a solution to be brought forth. Like most dischuffed Karoq owners - I love the car apart from the engine issues; the last thing that I want to do is reject it. And, what's more, people have come from miles around to admire the electric tow-bar - I'd feel a bit of a twit if it had to go back now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What Car Awards - what a farce.

http://www.skodamedia.com/index.php/latest-news/skoda-strikes-gold-at-2019-what-car-awards-with-five-models-all-named-as-winners

The new Karoq was also named as the best choice within its price bracket, with the 1.5 TSI 150 SE L model named as best family SUV between £18,000-£30,000. Commenting on the Karoq’s win, Steve Huntingford said: “You won't find a rival that offers a more cosseting ride than the Karoq. Plus, it's extremely practical and its 1.5-litre petrol engine is punchy yet frugal. It's a very well-rounded family SUV.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arkaig said:

What Car Awards - what a farce.

http://www.skodamedia.com/index.php/latest-news/skoda-strikes-gold-at-2019-what-car-awards-with-five-models-all-named-as-winners

The new Karoq was also named as the best choice within its price bracket, with the 1.5 TSI 150 SE L model named as best family SUV between £18,000-£30,000. Commenting on the Karoq’s win, Steve Huntingford said: “You won't find a rival that offers a more cosseting ride than the Karoq. Plus, it's extremely practical and its 1.5-litre petrol engine is punchy yet frugal. It's a very well-rounded family SUV.”

Perhaps Skoda UK couldn't provide him with a Kangoroq to try.:cool:

4 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Perhaps Skoda UK couldn't provide him with a Kangoroq to try.:cool:

Maybe they did, though I personally wouldn't cosset a kangaroo as a pet, but heyho anything's simply characteristic for Skoda :giggle:

cosset

(ˈkɒsɪt)
vb (tr) , -sets, -seting or -seted
to pamper; coddle; pet
n
any pet animal, esp a lamb
[C16: of unknown origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014