1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

1354715037_Karoqissue124Jan2019.thumb.jpg.b556d9df0846f6a83cb56a4c65f761ce.jpgHello everyone first post on the forum.

I am due to collect or maybe reject my MY19 December 1354715037_Karoqissue124Jan2019.thumb.jpg.b556d9df0846f6a83cb56a4c65f761ce.jpg50wk build Karoq SE 1.5TSI EVO manual g/b towards the end of next week from a dealership 200 miles away.

I have been reading the various threads on this forum and other forums regarding issues with the 1.5TSI fitted in the Karoq and some other VAG vehicles with interest or should I now same with some concern or even dread.

The salesperson I am dealing with but have never met face to face as the car was ordered over the phone and with email contact has driven my car and says he can't find any of the issues with it (he did mention driving style with regard to himself as he was more used to diesel engined vehicles) and that goes with the VW T-ROC he has just started using, he is aware of the issue from me but their service manager hasn't had any complaints from current customers regarding this issue.

I have used the Skoda chat facility to track my car from order to dealer delivery and have used it regarding the issue as reported by HJ, a reply from Gem.. contained the word "characteristic" and the last contact today via chat with Nic... I have attached.

It will be interesting to drive the Karoq and find for myself what is what, having mentioned my concerns the salesperson said I could drive it with trade plates on rather than register it incase I decide to reject it which they would rather avoid (cough) and feel could be a "messy" procedure.

Karoq issue 26Jan2019.jpg

I've had my MY19 1.5 DSG Karoq for 3 weeks now and have experienced no juddering, lurching or jerking whatsoever regardless of temperature and regret not switching to an auto earlier as I also have minor issues with my left leg and I guess they mask the issue in the DSG. I chose the DSG after a four day test drive with a 57 plate 1.5 manual last summer which Kangarooed like hell and turned me into a nervous wreck in stop/start traffic as I had to rev the engine excessively to compensate or get into 2nd asap. 

• Like 1

Just now, Breezy said:

“A characteristic due to the temperature of the coolant”  How does coolant temperature cause kangarooing?

Yes that made me wonder which comedian was writing the scripts for the replies on "Chat"

(Sorry about the glitch with the format on my first post)

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Breezy said:

“A characteristic due to the temperature of the coolant”  How does coolant temperature cause kangarooing?

Sounds like a Wallabies Nut Sack to me, this is an ECU software fault SIMPLY NOT CLEVER to keep spinning this lie.:angry:

It beats me how they can keep churning out this "characteristic" rubbish when the whole world knows that VW have reluctantly admitted to a design fault. This bollo only serves to annoy people even more.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Breezy said:

Nobody said there is no fault on anyones vehicles. My point is that there are also many who don't have the fault so one should always be aware that most of those who dont have any faults are not well represented. Thats just the way it is with all feedback, those with issues will nearly always be more active on vehicle forums so I would not rely purely on forum feedback to make a decision on a car purchase though I would take it into account.

Do I work for Skoda......no.....I dont work for anyone.:)

I have followed these forum comments and do wonder if anyone has statisticly pulled together the car type and date of purchase  and gearbox , from my perspective it does seem that this started up Q2/Q3 2018 , at about the time they VW were having to release cars to the New Test regime . To be accurate it would be advantageous to have a survey Monkey of affected vehicles , date purchased , manufacture date WK , Fuel Type , Model , Auto or Manual  .At least we would have a consistent picture and set of data .

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Breezy said:

Coolant temp is irrelevant. Mine does it regardless of the engine temp.

Meanwhile... Whatcar has just announced (22 Jan) that the Karoq 1.5TSI is its 2019 Car of the Year (in class & price point), with the 1.5 TSI being the pick of the bunch. Strange that the comments have been disabled though?

Edited by westie38
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, StEdmund said:

Certainly, based on my experience with a 1.5 manual Karoq, I would advise anyone to steer well clear of the 1.5 for a year and then review the situation. I strongly suspect that the dsg box merely masks the problem.

I don't doubt everything that has been said on the forum regarding this problem and have commented previously that I believe the engine doesn't run correctly when cold and under certain circumstances I can feel it hesitating. The DSG certainly masks the problem well. 

Mine is a mid September 2018 build, so is WLTP "tuned". I am assuming that the problem was not there before this or am I wrong? 

Most contributors don't state the model or purchase date so it's difficult to tell. 

Sorry if I have missed a post that covers this. 

6 hours ago, johnmb said:

I have followed these forum comments and do wonder if anyone has statisticly pulled together the car type and date of purchase  and gearbox , from my perspective it does seem that this started up Q2/Q3 2018 , at about the time they VW were having to release cars to the New Test regime . To be accurate it would be advantageous to have a survey Monkey of affected vehicles , date purchased , manufacture date WK , Fuel Type , Model , Auto or Manual  .At least we would have a consistent picture and set of data .

Sorry I missed this John. You made the statement so much better than I did 

3 hours ago, Doogle69 said:

I don't doubt everything that has been said on the forum regarding this problem and have commented previously that I believe the engine doesn't run correctly when cold and under certain circumstances I can feel it hesitating. The DSG certainly masks the problem well. 

Mine is a mid September 2018 build, so is WLTP "tuned". I am assuming that the problem was not there before this or am I wrong? 

Most contributors don't state the model or purchase date so it's difficult to tell. 

Sorry if I have missed a post that covers this. 

Mine is  a 1.5tsi  manual built in May 18 and has the “characteristic” 

My 1.5 manual karoq was built Oct 2018. It has minimal kangarooing when cold, but DANGEROUS intermittent  loss of power (when warm) from idle in 1st and 2nd - I can't rely on it when pulling out of junctions.

Also the dsg has a much lower 2nd gear than the manual - perhaps that's why it spends less time in 1st gear? - dsg 2nd 6mph at 700rpm, manual 2nd 8mph at 700rpm.

Octavia 1,5 manual.  October 2017. 

When bought, car was programmed to 'over rev' and the kangaroo affect was extremely bad in cold and also noticeably in warmer temps.  Software update about October 2018, no more 'over rev', and kangaroo affect much reduced, but not fixed.  Expect the software update in October 18, was their first attempt to fix the fault, which they deny having.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DaveW25 said:

My 1.5 manual karoq was built Oct 2018. It has minimal kangarooing when cold, but DANGEROUS intermittent  loss of power (when warm) from idle in 1st and 2nd - I can't rely on it when pulling out of junctions.

Also the dsg has a much lower 2nd gear than the manual - perhaps that's why it spends less time in 1st gear? - dsg 2nd 6mph at 700rpm, manual 2nd 8mph at 700rpm.

Mine is a March 2018 and over revs on its own, kangaroos and loses power on occasions, been told I’m on a list for a update, so we’ll see. 

1 hour ago, DaveW25 said:

Mine is a 1.5 manual, the same as DaveW25 and displays identical symptoms. It was first registered end of Sept 18, but I don't know where to find the build date.

Mine is also a 1.5 Manual registered in April 18. Identical problems to all on this forum. It happens all the time in all modes hot or cold. Have been told I am on a list for update but no date. I am now seriously fed up with the situation and wondered whether I can reject the car even at this stage i.e. After 6 months. I have only done 5000 miles. The dealer I purchased from was absolutely useless and I had to use another dealer to get a number of other less serious problems resolved. This second dealer has been reasonable about the whole issue but cant do anything without an update from Skoda. They did try one software update in July 18 but this made no difference. Problem is as many say on this forum - the car is basically a good one and that been my reluctance to reject the car sooner. Whatever I do now I know in rejecting the car I will lose a shed load of money and have lots of hassle dealing with the original dealership.

Ours 1.5 TSI manual. Ordered Sept 18. Registered Oct 18. Do not know build date (was already built for dealership as a demo). Kangarooed and dangerous loss of power. Successfully rejected.

Bazza 123 you can still reject car. Consumer Rights Act allows you to reject even older second hand cars but there may be reduction in refund for wear and tear (but you only have 5000 on clock). As I understand it, before 6 months the issues are assumed to have been inherent at time of purchase and it is up to the retailer to prove otherwise, after 6 months the onus is on the customer to prove that issues were present at time purchased car. Problems that start happening after purchase are covered by warranty. However, I think Skoda will have a hard time saying that your issues were not inherent in your car when you bought it, especially with HJ article. Your argument is that the car was not of satisfactory quality when you purchased it. The issue of 'fault' vs ' characteristic' is smoke and mirrors from Skoda, a car should behave in manner that a reasonable person would expect any car to behave. It is a hassle to reject, we loved the car otherwise, but we were not prepared to be the family that had the first serious accident.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

So there is no fault on our vehicles? Maybe you have one with  a fix perhaps. Or perhaps you work for Skoda :D

I've absouluty no need to make it up. Love the car apart from the issues. Nearly 7000miles in 3 months now

26 minutes ago, Sieski said:

I've absouluty no need to make it up. Love the car apart from the issues. Nearly 7000miles in 3 months now

Has somebody suggested that somebody is imagining or ‘making up’ their fault?