1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

20 minutes ago, kifir said:

«Front assist” shutting down does not change anything on my Octavia (factory date 24.07.2018).

From personal experience on 95 petrol kangaroo are much less than 98.

Hi did you turn it off completely via your steering wheel button? Try to switch off ESC as well just to see any different. Anyway 98 petrol is not recommended for this type of engine.

3 hours ago, Hejny said:

Hi did you turn it off completely via your steering wheel button? Try to switch off ESC as well just to see any different. Anyway 98 petrol is not recommended for this type of engine.

Yes, on wheel button (and check in Balero options). Additionally off ESC nothing change:(

where did you get this information? On fuel cover write “min 95” 

Edited by kifir

2 hours ago, kifir said:

Yes, on wheel button (and check in Balero options). Additionally off ESC nothing change:(

where did you get this information? On fuel cover write “min 95” 

On my it's say 95 only

16 minutes ago, Hejny said:

On my it's say 95 only

Just a word to the wise, you have an Octavia which will have a different set of instructions and tolerances to a Karoq even if the power plant is the same.

From Karoq owners manual:

Specified petrol 95 / min. 92 and 93 RON/ROZ We recommend using petrol 95 RON.
Optionally, the petrol 92 or. 93 RON can be used (slight power loss, a slightly increased fuel consumption).
In an emergency petrol 91 RON can be used (slight power loss, slightly in- creased fuel consumption) »     .
Unleaded petrol min. 95 RON / ROZ Use min. 95 ROZ petrol.
In an emergency petrol 91, 92 or 93 RON can be used (slight loss, a slightly increased fuel consumption) »     
Prescribed petrol 98/(95) RON / ROZ We recommend using petrol 98 RON.
Optionally, petrol 95 RON can be used (slight power loss, a slightly increased fuel consumption).
In an emergency petrol 91, 92 or 93 RON can be used (slight loss, a slightly increased fuel consumption) » 

It does not say to use 99 RON but equally does not say it should not use it. Seems to depend on region but 95 RON is first recommended and then stated to have slight power loss.

it also says:

■ Unleaded petrol that has a higher octane number than that required by the engine can be used without limitations.
■ The use of petrol with an octane rating higher than 95 RON in does not result in either a noticeable increase in power nor lower fuel consumption in vehicles for which unleaded petrol 95/min 92 or 93 RON is specified.
■ On vehicles using prescribed petrol of min. 95 RON, the use of petrol with a higher octane number than 95 RON can increase the power and reduce fuel consumption.

Edited by Stevieweevie

1 hour ago, Stevieweevie said:

Just a word to the wise, you have an Octavia which will have a different set of instructions and tolerances to a Karoq even if the power plant is the same.

From Karoq owners manual:

Specified petrol 95 / min. 92 and 93 RON/ROZ We recommend using petrol 95 RON.
Optionally, the petrol 92 or. 93 RON can be used (slight power loss, a slightly increased fuel consumption).
In an emergency petrol 91 RON can be used (slight power loss, slightly in- creased fuel consumption) »     .
Unleaded petrol min. 95 RON / ROZ Use min. 95 ROZ petrol.
Prescribed petrol 98/(95) RON / ROZ We recommend using petrol 98 RON.
Optionally, petrol 95 RON can be used (slight power loss, a slightly increased fuel consumption).

It does not say to use 99 RON but equally does not say it should not use it. Seems to depend on region but 95 RON is first recommended and then stated to have slight power loss.

it also says:

■ Unleaded petrol that has a higher octane number than that required by the engine can be used without limitations.
■ The use of petrol with an octane rating higher than 95 RON in does not result in either a noticeable increase in power nor lower fuel consumption in vehicles for which unleaded petrol 95/min 92 or 93 RON is specified.
■ On vehicles using prescribed petrol of min. 95 RON, the use of petrol with a higher octane number than 95 RON can increase the power and reduce fuel consumption.

You do not have to be offensive Bilbo. Every kid in the town knows that higher octane number is better for performance engines. 1.5 is not that kind of engine.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, MrKonjic said:

I got e-mail that the "fix" for my car (Octavia 1.5 TSI manual) is due in 3 months!!!

What are they gonna do? Did they let you know...

8 minutes ago, Hejny said:

What are they gonna do? Did they let you know...

Nothing specific....just that the software update is coming for my vehicle and that the estimated time waiting is 3 months because of some approvals needed from regulation agencies.

Again they are saying that the problem is in devices controlling the emissions

3 minutes ago, MrKonjic said:

I got e-mail that the "fix" for my car (Octavia 1.5 TSI manual) is due in 3 months!!!

VAG is scrapyard! 

It is unacceptable to buy a car and hate it! 

17 minutes ago, Hejny said:

You do not have to be offensive Bilbo. Every kid in the town knows that higher octane number is better for performance engines. 1.5 is not that kind of engine.

I'm not sure how or why you've interpreted my post as offensive? The quoted data is directly from the Karoq owner manual.

I only advised as your car is an Octavia and this thread is on the Karoq forum, so any experiential advice you have may well not be applicable. 

From Octavia 2018/7 owners manual

Note

■ The use of petrol with an octane rating higher than  95  RON in does not result in either a noticeable increase in power nor lower fuel consumption in vehicles for which unleaded petrol  95 / min 92 or 93  RON is specified.

■ On vehicles using prescribed petrol of  min. 95  RON, the use of petrol with a higher octane number than  95  RON can increase the power and reduce fuel consumption.

Similar note can be found in all Skoda model manuals, past and present.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, driventodevon said:

Just had a call from my dealer to say that the fix for my MY19 Superb, due to be applied next Wednesday, has been withdrawn by Skoda ...

Very strange, that would be second time Skoda have released wrong TPI. To be honest, I do not believe it happend so, just your dealer playing with you ...

Your Superb has engine ECU part number 05E906018C for sure as no other used at Superbs, any Skoda dealer should be able to update with the latest software version Nr. 7420, checked yesterday on data released 2nd April :cool:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/446820-15-sel-first-gear-issue/?do=findComment&comment=5225054

Edited by rayx

1 minute ago, rayx said:

Very strange, that would be second time Skoda have released wrong TPI. To be honest, I do not believe it happend so, just your dealer playing with you ...

Your Superb has engine ECU part number 05E906018C for sure as no other used at Superbs, any Skoda dealer should be able to update with the latest software version Nr. 7420, checked yesterday on data released 2nd April :cool:

Interesting!  They did say that they had been unable to download an update for a Karoq today, which is what made them aware that the fix had been withdrawn. Maybe they were leaping to conclusions about the Superb on the basis of that experience, I don't know. 

Still, it is bringing me a step closer to outright rejection of the car while I still have the consumer rights to allow a return within six months of delivery.

17 minutes ago, driventodevon said:

Still, it is bringing me a step closer to outright rejection of the car while I still have the consumer rights to allow a return within six months of delivery.

From what I understand of the Consumer Rights Act 2015, I wouldn't get too hung up about the '6-month period' provided that you have evidence that you reported the fault before 6-months; after 6-months, without evidence that the problem had been reported/logged, then the onus shifts to the purchaser to prove that the fault wasn't caused by them.

Just now, StEdmund said:

From what I understand of the Consumer Rights Act 2015, I wouldn't get too hung up about the '6-month period' provided that you have evidence that you reported the fault before 6-months; after 6-months, without evidence that the problem had been reported/logged, then the onus shifts to the purchaser to prove that the fault wasn't caused by them.

Delivery 20 Nov, fault reported in writing 29 Nov, fault acknowledged onsite by dealer after test drive and diagnostics 14 Dec. Since then I have been very patiently waiting for the "Q2 fix". I see little point in continuing to wait.  (But thank you.)

Just chipping my 2p worth, latest experience

I had a 19 plate Octavia 1.5tsi SEL DSG as a courtesy car for a day, a couple of weeks ago. While it was warming up, during slow traffic it was constantly hesitating/jerking albeit at a low level. Like misfiring a little.  Quite a gruff engine too, mpg poor. Not a new car feel. Start/stop operation was abysmal, shutting down before coming to a halt, restarting immediately when finally stopped, for no apparent reason, didn't touch steering wheel or lift foot off brakes. I lost patience when it restarted when stood in a stationary queue of traffic, revved up and did battle against the handbrake which was on and dragged the car forward. Close call, switched s/s off after that!

Couldn't recommend buying one like that.

3 minutes ago, driventodevon said:

Delivery 20 Nov, fault reported in writing 29 Nov, fault acknowledged onsite by dealer after test drive and diagnostics 14 Dec. Since then I have been very patiently waiting for the "Q2 fix". I see little point in continuing to wait.  (But thank you.)

Two days ago, I collected my 'fixed' Karoq from the dealer - I have yet to fully test it and I won't consider it tested until 2-months of motoring have passed. We are now outside of the 6-month period but, believe me, if the car isn't right, then I will drive it down to the dealer and I will NOT be driving it back home again. I teetered on the brink of rejection before, and I still wonder if I did the right thing.

42 minutes ago, driventodevon said:

Interesting!  They did say that they had been unable to download an update for a Karoq today, which is what made them aware that the fix had been withdrawn. Maybe they were leaping to conclusions about the Superb on the basis of that experience, I don't know. 

Well, I would recommend to change your dealer, they do not know what they are doing ...

Just checked again on erWin, Skoda released yesterday new data block dated 9th April, updates for Superb ECU 05E906018C and Karoq ECU 05E906018R still there, files dated 11th April, nothing is withdrawn ...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

Two days ago, I collected my 'fixed' Karoq from the dealer - I have yet to fully test it and I won't consider it tested until 2-months of motoring have passed. We are now outside of the 6-month period but, believe me, if the car isn't right, then I will drive it down to the dealer and I will NOT be driving it back home again. I teetered on the brink of rejection before, and I still wonder if I did the right thing.

What “fix” have you had applied??

I'm not aware  one has  yet been released???

3 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

What “fix” have you had applied??

I'm not aware  one has  yet been released???

If you go back to p72 of this thread, you will see, at least from my point of view, that a fix was released one day - and withdrawn the next; then, the following week, a fix (update) was released. As I understand it the fix only applies to certain vin numbers and MY2019 vehicles. I speak from personal experience though, if you study this thread and the 'progress to date' thread, then others have received the update too.

11 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

If you go back to p72 of this thread, you will see, at least from my point of view, that a fix was released one day - and withdrawn the next; then, the following week, a fix (update) was released. As I understand it the fix only applies to certain vin numbers and MY2019 vehicles. I speak from personal experience though, if you study this thread and the 'progress to date' thread, then others have received the update too.

Thank you. Mine was built July 18 so not applicable. 

39 minutes ago, rayx said:

Well, I would recommend to change your dealer, they do not know what they are doing ...

Just checked again on erWin, Skoda released yesterday new data block dated 9th April, updates for Superb ECU 05E906018C and Karoq ECU 05E906018R still there, files dated 11th April, nothing is withdrawn ...

Can anyone log in to erwin?