1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

Don't mention it :dull:

Not all 1.5 TSI's suffer the issue. As you should know, its software, not hardware related.

I am not aware of any complaints from SEAT Ateca owners.

Edited by silver1011

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

Don't mention it :dull:

Not all 1.5 TSI's suffer the issue. As you should know, its software, not hardware related.

I am not aware of any complaints from SEAT Ateca owners.

It’s mitigated by software but the issue is related to the hardware, hence the admission of a problem affecting the 1.5l TSI as a whole and not specific models e.g. Honest John report re T-ROC. The problem is at a hardware level because if it was purely software, an ECU fix that works on one engine will work on them all and we know that isn’t the case hence MY19 engines for Karoqs having a fix and not earlier.

They actually make mention of noticing hesitance with their long term test Seat Arona in one publication. 

Given that hat we can confirm prevalence of the issue across multiple brands and models, the commonality being the engine in each and every case, the “I haven’t heard of any complaints from Ateca owners” probably isn’t the most solid foundation on which to base a recommendation. My understanding is that Atecas are later to the party to receive this engine as priorly they were using the 1.4 so there won’t be as pure an installed user base of Ateca 1.5s in the mix to form what you might consider a balanced reflection whereas for Karoqs and T-Rocs etc it is the most common power plant.

Also, I didn't intend to come across negatively. I can see from looking across posts about this that you've presided over many of these topics about this problem and you seem very knowledgeable in general. I am just surprised that given that knowledge but no experience of the issue yourself since you have or had a 1.4 Kodiaq, that you would recommend another vehicle in the VW stable when you have no way of being confident that wouldn't be affected. On balance the evidence so far would be caveat emptor and err on the side of caution rather than risk it because you've not heard of people having issues. I hope that makes sense and apologise if I offended you.

Edited by Stevieweevie
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

I was encouraged by the Seat Ateca suggestion, briefly seeing good reviews of the 1.4 petrol engine. But then I go to Seat dealer sites to find the dreaded 1.5 TSI engine's replaced it and on further investigation there appear plenty of disenchanted Seat owners with that engine on the SEST Ateca forum.

Back to square one if Skoda can't fix it soon.

• Like 3

The Ateca is not later to the party with anything concerning the 1.5TSI 150ps. There are SEAT Ateca with issues.

As it is the issues with the Software / Engine management in the various models from VW, Skoda, Audi & SEAT are with cars pre and post WLTP and pre and post GPF's.

VW know what they were doing to get the Emission results pre and post WLTP, and if they do not they really really are up sh-1t creak.

Some authorities in Germany, UK or any EU or none EU country needs to be asking more questions.

31 minutes ago, Stevieweevie said:

It’s mitigated by software but the issue is related to the hardware, hence the admission of a problem affecting the 1.5l TSI as a whole and not specific models e.g. Honest John report re T-ROC. The problem is at a hardware level because if it was purely software, an ECU fix that works on one engine will work on them all and we know that isn’t the case hence MY19 engines for Karoqs having a fix and not earlier.

The MkIII Octavia was the first Skoda model to get the 1.5 TSI. Very few issues there, considering how many they've sold.

Your claim that the same software update will work across all 1.5 TSI's irrespective of brand, model  or specification simply isn't true. The software is bespoke to each model, there will be hundreds of variations. Not all 1.5 TSI's fitted to the Karoq are affected, let alone all other Skoda, SEAT, Volkswagen and Audi models.

This is a software issue. Skoda's fix is a software update. No components are changed.

Edited by silver1011

3 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

The Ateca is not later to the party with anything concerning the 1.5TSI 150ps. There are SEAT Ateca with issues.

What I meant was it's later to receive the 1.5 engine. The makeup of Atecas out on the roads is such that only a minority of them will have the 1.5 for now as the car has been on sale for 3+ years with the 1.4 and other engines.

By comparison, cars like the T-Roc and Karoq have only ever been available with the 1.5 as the mid range option, so owners of these cars are likely where most noise is going to be heard coming from.

As you point out though it does not mean little or no noise means there isn't a problem, just that incidents are more isolated until the engine propagates the market.

• Like 1

@Stevieweevie

Where do you get your information, from dealership or social media or both?

The SEAT Ateca 1.5 TSI's sold very well in the UK.

I have driven 2 different 2019 cars with DSG for a good few miles.

Lovely and issue free, but not all are.

Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 22.07.16.png

Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 22.07.44.png

Edited by Skoffski

5 minutes ago, Stevieweevie said:

As you point out though it does not mean little or no noise means there isn't a problem, just that incidents are more isolated until the engine propagates the market.

Or, as suspected, not all 1.5 TSI's are affected. Its the bespoke software specific to that model that is the cause.

• Like 1

Agree with @Stevieweevie, this is most likely a hardware issue(s), possibly multiple design flaw(s) and/or manufacturing tolerance issues, that software can mitigate in some cases , not all because of the complexity involved, some faults may still ellude the development engineers. 

Just a guess, but Briskoda is a well supported forum with many experienced and informed contributors and large membership with a great focus on practical issues not just detailing/modding. Member age and background helps here..... Some other forums simply don't have anywhere the broad level of support and knowledge, so fewer reports pop up.

I imagine 1.5tsi problems potentially effects all models fitted with this engine,  Many owners will just accept and live with it, dealer/distributor support will vary as we can see with Skoda UK and their dealers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@Stevieweevie

Where do you get your information, from dealership or social media or both?

The SEAT Ateca 1.5 TSI's sold very well in the UK.

I have driven 2 different 2019 cars with DSG for a good few miles.

Lovely and issue free, but not all are.

You seem to be missing the point. The Ateca has been on sale since 2016 and until last year I believe, perhaps mid way last year, it was a 1.4 engine not a 1.5.

So what I’m saying is that MOST Atecas on the road at the moment won’t have the 1.5 by virtue of how car sales work. 2.5 years worth of 1.4 unit sales.

Not sure what is difficult to understand about that. I’m not claiming anything about the vehicles popularity or sales figures so I don’t know what you’re on about. If you have a source for sales number for Ateca 1.5 and can prove that the market split has a majority of 1.5 engines in it then I’ll gladly eat my words, but I’m confident you won’t because it’s highly improbable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Or, as suspected, not all 1.5 TSI's are affected. Its the bespoke software specific to that model that is the cause.

So a Russian roulette then? And do you still stand by your recommendation to the other forum member to consider a 1.5 Ateca? Because that’s an aspect of my post that you have so far left unaddressed.

They were first 'Demonstrators' and as we know Sales people are deaf dumb and blind to issues, or some are, some are more switched on and drove, looked listened and paid attention and discussed the potential issues with customers and those driving 'their' VW / SEATS cars.

1660872759_3-monkeys-620x2401-620x240.jpg.0597dcccb1b603ee629f930dd02f3a1f(1).jpg.c6f03a948e4e13fc47e5f7c71c0af8c2.jpg

The 2019 first quarter WLTP Approved SEAT Ateca 1.5 TSI EVO Manual & DSG first registered numbers will be available soon.

SEAT / VW will know from the cars in the past 2 quarters how many have reported issues.

Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 22.18.29.png

Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 22.19.12.png

Edited by Skoffski

8 minutes ago, Stevieweevie said:

Because that’s an aspect of my post that you have so far left unaddressed.

Give me strength, the Ateca is a viable alternative to the Karoq.

If you're that hell bent on hating anything with a 1.5 TSI, then please buy something, anything, just please make sure it isn't a Skoda.

Edited by silver1011

Just now, silver1011 said:

Give me strength, you wanted an alternative to the Karoq, I gave you one. I thought I was doing you a favour.

If you're that hell bent on hating anything with a 1.5 TSI, then please buy something, anything, just please make sure it isn't a Skoda.

It wasn’t me who asked for the recommendation... I just happened to see you recommending it to someone else. I never asked for anything. I happen to have a 1.5 Karoq SEL manual so I’m talking from a position of experience and that was why I felt it curious that you were recommending something you have no experience of.

I’d get off that horse slowly if I were you as it seems very high up. 

7 minutes ago, Stevieweevie said:

...and that was why I felt it curious that you were recommending something you have no experience of.

Since when did you need personal experience of something to make a recommendation?

Edited by silver1011
  • Sad 1

Like the article in What Car stated if you go into Individual mode and select Sport the response to the accelerator reduces to chance of getting a skippy moment particularly when the ambient temperature is low. Having covered 15,700 miles in our Karoq 1.5TSi manual since January 2018 I feel qualified to comment on this subject. Would I recommend this engine (having previously run the 1.4TSi in a Superb ACT also) to anyone, absolutely not. Go get something with the older 1.4TSi engine it has the same power and torque with good economy and refinement and none of the engineered in Skoda marsupial characteristics.:tongueout:

• Like 3

Simply from what I read on this forum, plus my limited experience with Octavia 1.5tsi courtesy cars (both not quite right and uninspiring economy wise to boot), and the fact my 1.4tsi Superb 3 is such a remarkably good engine in comparison, confirmed by many similar reports on Briskoda, I would simply not recommend buying any 1.5tsi (150ps) equipped car at the moment.

Too risky. Definitely Russian roulette.

Some reports of significantly worse fuel economy after software updates also conjures up memories of dieselgate fix reports.

So go for the 1.0tsi if you can live with that, or if towing and needing a petrol then go for a 2.0tsi.

Forget about the 1.5 tsi for now, review in a couple of year's time when VAG may or may not have finally sorted it out.

(Edit: also recall a 1.4tsi Octavia 3 hire car I had for a week abroad being an excellent and economical engine)

Edited by xman
  • Like 3

Just now, silver1011 said:

Since when did you need personal experience of something to make a recommendation?

Your posts are deliberately antagonistic, I can only assume you have a chip on your shoulder, or are simply bored.

My posts are antagonistic? Your last one starts with “give me strength” when you didn’t like my replies and though that I was being ungrateful when it was actually your error and a case of mistaken identity. I asked you for nothing.

You don’t need personal experience to make a recommendation, but I think most people would agree that if you do recommend something there is some expectation that it will be based on some knowledge. Else it’s a bit hollow.

I have a vehicle that has been beset with this issue and I took exception to seeing you recommend another vehicle to someone looking to avoid it specifically, which there is evidence also can suffer the issue. That is a poor recommendation by any metric. Someone such as you, who as a forum user I take is very senior and well established, you might give thought that your “recommendation” would carry more substance than, say, mine. 

You have mistaken my disagreement with you for antagonism.

• Like 1

When someone spends so much money on a new car, they are right to be aggrieved if it has major flaws that were known about but denied and hidden. Even more so if those flaws aren't fixed pronto.

Not surprising if they don't want to repeat the same mistake.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevieweevie said:

Doesn't seem like great advice to me...

Suit yourself. Doesn't seem very friendly either.

Whilst there are clearly issues at play here, there are also many unaffected 1.5 TSI's, to write off every single option involving the engine could be viewed as an equally unhelpful recommendation.

Either way its fair to assume anyone contributing to this thread is now well aware of the situation and able to make their own mind up.

Edited by silver1011
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, silver1011 said:

Suit yourself. Doesn't seem very friendly either.

I shall. Looks like you’re of the habit of editing your posts as you’ve edited at least 2 to remove text that points to you having made a mistake, remark or misconception. You’ve also made it quite clear that instead of responding to questions or statements you just want to pass judgement on my character in that I am antagonistic and unfriendly.

Still I don’t know why you’ve gone to the effort of retroactively amending your posts. Is it boredom or chip on your shoulder?

Actually, I retrospectively removed elements of my posts in an effort to come across as more friendly, after answering a fellow members request for advice and getting lambasted by you.

10 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Whilst there are clearly issues at play here, there are also many unaffected 1.5 TSI's, to right off every single option involving the engine could be viewed as an equally unhelpful recommendation.

Sorry but to spend up to £30k on a car, hope you got a good un knowing that way above average number of unresolved problems with the engine have been reported is tantamount to gambling in my book. Many people simply want a car that works well and not stress for months.

• Like 2