Why do we still have rev counters?

Is there any instrument more useless these days than a rev counter?

There may be a tenuous reason with a manual car, although I wonder if the electronics would allow you to over rev the engine.

A DSG has absolutely no need for one Do they think we are all closet racing drivers?

Edited by facet edge
Fat fingers

4 minutes ago, facet edge said:

Is there any instrument more useless these days than a rev counter?

There may be a tenuous reason with a manual car, although I wonder if the electronics would allow you to over rev the engine.

A DSG has absolutely no need for one Do they think we are all closet racing drivers?

I disagree because my 2.0 tsi is the first car I’ve owned that I have no idea what the engine rpm is (below about 4500) . If any car has ever needed a rev counter, that is it. Ok if you want to use the DSG only in automatic mode (in which case probably your greatest wish is for driverless cars) then maybe not. But remember, the DSG is a manual gearbox controlled by a computer. Or by a human, if you so wish!

Being slightly serious for a moment, one should bear in mind that years ago, a rev counter was a posh add-on for sporty cars, because it was a cable-driven magnetic cup thing. Quite expensive with its gear driven cable output etc.

But now with electronic engine management, the rpm is just another parameter that can be displayed on a simple remote gauge via a serial data bus - no geared takeoff or Bowden-cable type drive. Cheap and easy, so why not?

This was one of the most surprising changes when I moved from manual to DSG. I hadn't realised how much I used the rev counter to verify the other information I was receiving (1800 in 6th equals 70mph etc). Frankly I just don't use it any more. To be clear I don't want driverless cars, but I can't imagine buying a manual unless my circumstances change dramatically. 

One of the best things about the upcoming digital dashes is that you will be able to get rid of this useless info and replace it with something useful.

• Like 2

Why do more expensive cars have a coolant gauge that gets to 90*oC or so indicated, and unless overheating goes higher.

Obviously essential with VW TDI's, as they source crap water pumps. 

But cheap basic cars get a blue light while coolant below normal / efficient operating temp and red when over. 

That would do all normal road / commuting vehicles.

Like DSG indicating what gear you are in, if you do not need to know your RPM, then why bother knowing what gear it is in in D or S, 

you just need D,S,B like with a CVT box really.

BMW / Audi & now Jaguar's get a left right turn indicator light for the driver, totally useless for many,

like rear fog light on lights to tell drivers of a rear fog light on, and just leave it on, even with cars following you in town or traffic where there is no fog.

Most useless modern driver safety device is 'Bulb failure light' in modern Audis. 

Audi drivers seem to ignore and just leave faulty lights unfixed.

There should be 48 hours starting of the vehicle allowed then the vehicle unable to start until Audi Assist replace the bulb, or bulbs / LED's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Also why don't all cars have auto lights by law,  so many cars now drive around with no lights on because they have LED running lights and light up dashes so the think there lights are on.

• Thanks 1

Being slightly serious for a moment, one should bear in mind that years ago, a rev counter was a posh add-on for sporty cars, because it was a cable-driven magnetic cup thing. Quite expensive with its gear driven cable output etc.

You may be getting confused with the speedo there - most old school rev counters worked by using the pulse from the ignition coil. I think there were a few optical ones around that ran off a crank pick up, but never heard of a cable driven rev counter.

They originate from the early days of racing, when it wasn't really about the speed, but keeping the engine in it's power band (hence why a lot of racing cars have a massive rev counter and a small speedo) - in this day and age, that isn't so much of an importance in a normal road car as it used to be, as power and torque has moved lower down to improve tailpipe emissions and fuel economy. I still prefer having mine, rather than a clock, as when out of town, I prefer to use the rev counter as a shift point :)

Electric pulse rev counters were a later invention, all cars pre about 1960's  would have had a cable driven rev counter, usually off of the camshaft, working the same way as a speedo.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, facet edge said:

No electronics in the world can prevent you from manually disengaging the clutch, changing the manually operated gearbox down to 1st or 2nd at 100mph, and then dumping the clutch back up... It would make a loud noise, and kill your car. Do not try this at home... :D 

• Haha 1

'Auto light' those things that many drivers have on 'auto' but no idea if the lights are actually on.

Dash board lighting up, that will be the Speedo without the Rev Counter or coolant gauge as surplus to requirements would help.

Green Dipped beam light showing and Blue Full Beam would be good, 

or Dim Dipped that had front and rear lights on would be really really good again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, philsmith said:

One of the best things about the upcoming digital dashes is that you will be able to get rid of this useless info and replace it with something useful.

This will be the same as a lot of other trivial stuff that you didn't know you wanted. To be played with and shown to friends etc, then you will set it and probably never change it again.

They do look nice and I assume they could be like the Android watches and able to change the whole look if the car company dare. If you like the Ford or Mercedes look for example or even design your own?

This maybe the £1000 option......?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

'Auto light' those things that many drivers have on 'auto' but no idea if the lights are actually on.

Dash board lighting up, that will be the Speedo without the Rev Counter or coolant gauge as surplus to requirements would help.

Green Dipped beam light showing and Blue Full Beam would be good, 

or Dim Dipped that had front and rear lights on would be really really good again. 

Dim Dip, fantastic and great in Fog and Snow, reducing glare.

• Like 1

I have to say I don't use it as much as I did when I had a manual.  Still useful for checking idling speed e.g. can indicate that a regen is underway but apart from that it probably has too much prominence in a modern dash display.

On 19 March 2018 at 10:57, octyal said:

You may be getting confused with the speedo there - most old school rev counters worked by using the pulse from the ignition coil. I think there were a few optical ones around that ran off a crank pick up, but never heard of a cable driven rev counter.

They originate from the early days of racing, when it wasn't really about the speed, but keeping the engine in it's power band (hence why a lot of racing cars have a massive rev counter and a small speedo) - in this day and age, that isn't so much of an importance in a normal road car as it used to be, as power and torque has moved lower down to improve tailpipe emissions and fuel economy. I still prefer having mine, rather than a clock, as when out of town, I prefer to use the rev counter as a shift point :)

Even in the 1960s, MGBs had a mechanical tachometer, driven from a gear on the camshaft. 

Early Sprites and Midgets had their mechanical tachos driven from a reduction gearbox on the back of the dynamo. 

1 minute ago, daveo138 said:

Even in the 1960s, MGBs had a mechanical tachometer, driven from a gear on the camshaft. 

Early Sprites and Midgets had their mechanical tachos driven from a reduction gearbox on the back of the dynamo. 

I am not old enough to remember those........thanks for the info though.

On a slightly different tack, I note that the new Rolls Royce Phantom 8 doesn't have a rev counter, rather a reserve power meter - but then it is a twin turbo v12

On 3/19/2018 at 09:38, MarkUk63 said:

Also why don't all cars have auto lights by law,  so many cars now drive around with no lights on because they have LED running lights and light up dashes so the think there lights are on.

Off topic but|:

Actually auto lights should be banned, there are too many driving around with headlights on in daylight, too brain dead to realise the lights are on when they are not needed and inconveniencing others.

Fog lamps should be switched via  a relay so they can't come on when the ignition is started unless deliberately turned on.

Even Xenons should be banned - construction and use regs should limit light output, not power input.  In the dark you should drive to what can be seen, not fit brighter lights which inconvenience other drivers, so you can go faster.  

I do have Xenons (which came as standard but there were other things on the spec that l wanted) and the auto lights are used in manual except in Europe when they are used in "Tunnel" mode which is what the feature is really aimed at.

• Like 2