Octavia 245 Owners Club

6 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Finally, another manual ludit is turned !!!

Sadly Tony no more manual Vrs245 are available and £31,995 is too much to pay for a Ford Focus ST with a poor manual gearbox according to the latest test in Auto Express this week. Other people probably paid considerably less than me but £26,900 is decent value for a new DSG 245 with the 19" Extremes. Going to put it to the test mpg wise against the manual for which I have a lot of data. Manual dropped due to 152gm/co2 whereas the DSG emits (if you believe the BS) just 139gm/co2 so road tax will be only £145 from year 2.:sadsmile:

Edited by shyVRS245
wrong word

16 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Sadly Tony no more manual Vrs245 are available and £31,995 is too much to pay for a Ford Focus ST with a poor manual gearbox according to the latest test in Auto Express this week. Other people probably paid considerably less than me but £26,900 is decent value for a new DSG 245 with the 19" Extremes. Going to put it to the test mpg wise against the manual for which I have a lot of data. Manual dropped due to 152gm/co2 whereas the DSG emits (if you believe the BS) just 139gm/co2 so road tax will be only £145 from year 2.:sadsmile:

Going by your form i expect space time continuum warping on performance with 50+ mpg figures concurrently ;) lol I got almost 44 mpg once driving like a super granny mainly on motorway with cruise on where possible at the legal limit in proper normal

On 21/08/2019 at 16:40, Scotty72 said:

One tip you'll find it more reluctant to use 7th unless ahem 'pressing on' if you leave it in sport but want it to use the overdrive 7th on the motorway for example. But you'll learn this one quickly, at more normal speeds its going to want to stay in 6th :) But you can fix that, the lever down DSG mode switching has become second nature to me now

I don't own a vRS anymore, but I've driven a demo current 7-speed DSG 245 & it selected 7th at UK legal motorway speeds.  

If using the paddles (my preference when pressing on....) 7th seemed to be quite happy at 60 mph, as did a Cupra Ateca & a 7.5 Golf R.

Unrelated Q?, is there any Mk. 4 Octavia info / chat on this forum yet?

Supplementary Q?, there's a low mileage L&K Octy estate for sale, 190 ps 2.0 TSi, 7-speed DSG & 4WD. Any thoughts on what a stage 1 map would do for that engine?

I've owned my 2012 Superb (249 bhp) for over 6 years & it might be nice to have something a more modern as a daily.....

TIA for any info, DC.

28 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

I don't own a vRS anymore, but I've driven a demo current 7-speed DSG 245 & it selected 7th at UK legal motorway speeds.  

If using the paddles (my preference when pressing on....) 7th seemed to be quite happy at 60 mph, as did a Cupra Ateca & a 7.5 Golf R.

In Normal it will yes, in Sport it'll tend not to shift to 7th at those speeds though.

In Normal it'll be shifting up as far as it can go without labouring the engine, in Sport it'll be trying to stop the revs ever dropping below about 2000rpm.

32 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

Supplementary Q?, there's a low mileage L&K Octy estate for sale, 190 ps 2.0 TSi, 7-speed DSG & 4WD. Any thoughts on what a stage 1 map would do for that engine?

I've owned my 2012 Superb (249 bhp) for over 6 years & it might be nice to have something a more modern as a daily.....

TIA for any info, DC.

The basic versions of the Golf Mk8 are being rolled out Q4 2019 into Europe (not sure when the UK will get it probably Q1 2020)  then the GTi version 12 months later so Q4 2020. Vrs should appear same time if is offered because Skoda salesperson said 3 days ago to me he feared there wouldn't be a Mk4 Vrs in the same way they killed off the Fabia Vrs after the Mk2. The new Mk8 Golf GTi already seen lapping the Nurburgring should have similar firepower to the run out TCR model with around 286bhp and the Golf R version around 350bhp.;)

I'd be very surprised if there was no mk4 vRS,it's been a big UK seller for them...having said that perhaps Brexit may be a factor whether we get another in the UK.

One of the reasons the Fabia vRs mk2 was not replaced was surely the poor reputation it earned with its unreliable engine.

On 22/08/2019 at 14:42, shyVRS245 said:

You can get the Focus for about 28.5k and the gearbox is great far better than a vag version. 

The C02 numbers mean nothing, you’re comparing old versions with the temp new. The manual vag boxes are about 10% better on fuel than the autos. Just check out the other versions, 1.5?etc. 

Cancel the order and get something better and more up to date. If not the Focus then A i30N is far better so is the Megane 👍

1 hour ago, teescom09 said:

You can get the Focus for about 28.5k and the gearbox is great far better than a vag version. 

The C02 numbers mean nothing, you’re comparing old versions with the temp new. The manual vag boxes are about 10% better on fuel than the autos. Just check out the other versions, 1.5?etc. 

Cancel the order and get something better and more up to date. If not the Focus then A i30N is far better so is the Megane 👍

The boots on all 3 cars you mention are too small and wife hates estates so no Leon ST either. Even the Civic Type R boot is too small so it was always going to be between Superb and Octavia hatches.;)

1 hour ago, teescom09 said:

Oh and all of them are £140 to tax second year irrelevant of co2. Unless electric. Only a premium charged for first 5 years if over £40k so Skodas need not worry. 

You have lost touch with the taxation changes as it has gone upto £145 for the second year.:o

Edited by shyVRS245
MISSING WORD

When I got my free 5 day cover from Skoda for the new 245 DSG I collect this Friday I was genuinely surprised by the insurance quote from Skoda Insurance. It is normally way too expensive but at £315 including the optional 19" alloys the car came with from the factory it's only £14 more than my 2017 Vrs245 manual. They said they have been listening to criticism from customers and are offering to freeze the price they quote for 3 years which would stop the need to shop around if that appeals to some forum members. Will certainly give them a go next May when both cars renewal occurs. Must point out we have 12 years and 14 years NCB and we are 50 and 54 years young so benefit from low insurance.:thumbup:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

When I got my free 5 day cover from Skoda for the new 245 DSG I collect this Friday I was genuinely surprised by the insurance quote from Skoda Insurance. It is normally way too expensive but at £315 including the optional 19" alloys the car came with from the factory it's only £14 more than my 2017 Vrs245 manual. They said they have been listening to criticism from customers and are offering to freeze the price they quote for 3 years which would stop the need to shop around if that appeals to some forum members. Will certainly give them a go next May when both cars renewal occurs. Must point out we have 12 years and 14 years NCB and we are 50 and 54 years young so benefit from low insurance.:thumbup:

I'm (cough) 60+ and Mrs G is nearing that age, we are with Saga, 19 Plate 245 Vrs  Manual full comp for me and Mrs G  £200ish.  The Max no claims for us both

Oh.   the joys of getting old........................

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I'm (cough) 60+ and Mrs G is nearing that age, we are with Saga, 19 Plate 245 Vrs  Manual full comp for me and Mrs G  £200ish.  The Max no claims for us both

Oh.   the joys of getting old........................

These young uns don't know how unfortunate they are not to be ancient like us.:happy:

On 24/08/2019 at 11:46, old newbie2 said:

TIA for any info, DC.

You wern't using sport mode as I clearly mentioned in my post! ;) Normal it will be in 7th way before 70 lol Sport it likes to hold 6th.

Even though I haven't collected the new car yet I have already set myself a tough challenge whilst running it in. 2 tanks of fuel to cover the first 1,000 miles or 100 litres which is an average of 10 miles per litre or a shade over 45mpg, bring it on.:biggrin:

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Even though I haven't collected the new car yet I have already set myself a tough challenge whilst running it in. 2 tanks of fuel to cover the first 1,000 miles or 100 litres which is an average of 10 miles per litre or a shade over 45mpg, bring it on.:biggrin:

good luck. Avoid sport go for normal/D for DSG.. eco hmm don't bother. Drive like an old granny and hope for the best. I found overall ecconomy improved with miles added.

Shall we run a book on when you surpass my current mileage? ;) its around 3300 now ;) Its gonna get a proper work out in a couple of weeks with a family UK holiday a few hours drive away.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

good luck. Avoid sport go for normal/D for DSG.. eco hmm don't bother. Drive like an old granny and hope for the best. I found overall ecconomy improved with miles added.

Shall we run a book on when you surpass my current mileage? ;) its around 3300 now ;) Its gonna get a proper work out in a couple of weeks with a family UK holiday a few hours drive away.

Thanks for the tips at my current mileage it should reach 4,000 miles by Xmas 2019. Got a short break in Cardiff planned in 3 weeks so hope to go there and back on just over half a tank.:thumbup:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nigel101 said:

Given your obsession with fuel economy, would you have not been better off buying citigo or similar 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

No thanks had one as a courtesy car and couldn't live with the cramped driving position being above average height.:thumbdown:

5 minutes ago, andygman said:

New car on Monday 2nd!

Pick up Great Yarmouth back cross country for night shift! Will not be attempting 45MPG! :D

Don't forget to run it in. Pick mine up at 2pm tomorrow then kill time before starting night shift at 6pm. No point in going home as already halfway to work.:thumbup:

6 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Don't forget to run it in. Pick mine up at 2pm tomorrow then kill time before starting night shift at 6pm. No point in going home as already halfway to work.:thumbup:

It will have been run in already by the guys in Germany putting it on the boat and UK who I used to watch hammering them off the boat at Avonmouth docks!

I will drive it as it is meant to be driven. B)

I have fresh oil and decent filter waiting for the next day. Which is something I have always done with my new vehicles.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, andygman said:

It will have been run in already by the guys in Germany putting it on the boat and UK who I used to watch hammering them off the boat at Avonmouth docks!

I will drive it as it is meant to be driven. B)

I have fresh oil and decent filter waiting for the next day. Which is something I have always done with my new vehicles.

Perhaps we can meet up in Cardiff between Friday 20th and Sunday 22nd September. Will PM nearer the time if you are not working. Be cool to get a photo of the cars together, mine a Red hatch and your Estate.:thumbup:

Edited by shyVRS245
spelling mistake

17 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Perhaps we can meet up in Cardiff between Friday 20th and Sunday 22nd September. Will PM nearer the time if you are not working. Be cool to get a photo of the cars together, mine a Red hatch and yoy Estate.:thumbup:

Yep would be cool.

checked shifts I am working on the Saturday but off on the Sunday.

• Thanks 1