Octavia 245 Owners Club

1 hour ago, martysparty99 said:

Hi all, not that I am going to keep my car (although what happens with cars going back now?)  I thought id see how much I could buy mine for £16.075 with 14.2 on the clock

How old? 

1 minute ago, martysparty99 said:

just under 2 years old

Great, ta. I’m wanting to buy mine at the end of the 3 year lease.  Just wanted a feel for price.  I get there are a lot of variables, mileage, previous payments etc.  Like I said, a feel.

17 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Great, ta. I’m wanting to buy mine at the end of the 3 year lease.  Just wanted a feel for price.  I get there are a lot of variables, mileage, previous payments etc.  Like I said, a feel.

Im wondering with the latest gov announcement, what will happen about mine being picked up.  Is the bca bloke still going come to do the inspection etc?

Does anyone have any good advice where is best to advertise a nearly new car for sale? I’m looking to sell my 19 Plate VRS estate mid next month, obliviously depending how the current situation pans out. I was planning another VRS but the new model seems a bit of a time away yet. My new VW Golf R is ready to collect and VW are going to hold it till I can get back from Germany. Was just going to Trade I’m against the Golf but might try advertising it privately as even at just over trade in price should still be a good buy still with 2 years warranty and some decent options I added. 
I have really been impressed with the VRS which was my first ever new car and SKODA. Hoping to get a fully loaded VRS before leaving Germany and coming back to the Uk in a couple of years.

4 hours ago, flash222004 said:

Does anyone have any good advice where is best to advertise a nearly new car for sale? I’m looking to sell my 19 Plate VRS estate mid next month, obliviously depending how the current situation pans out. I was planning another VRS but the new model seems a bit of a time away yet. My new VW Golf R is ready to collect and VW are going to hold it till I can get back from Germany. Was just going to Trade I’m against the Golf but might try advertising it privately as even at just over trade in price should still be a good buy still with 2 years warranty and some decent options I added. 
I have really been impressed with the VRS which was my first ever new car and SKODA. Hoping to get a fully loaded VRS before leaving Germany and coming back to the Uk in a couple of years.

Autotrader, Ebay or any of the car selling sites. I would look at what you would get for it privately compared to trade in. You always take the biggest hit in depreciation in the first year. I stopped buying new cars because of how much money you lose if you trade in early.

On 24/03/2020 at 10:44, martysparty99 said:

Im wondering with the latest gov announcement, what will happen about mine being picked up.  Is the bca bloke still going come to do the inspection etc?

BCA told me all inspections and collections are cancelled. I'd brought mine forward to the 7th April, as I was due to have my new (used) car delivered this week. However, due to the lock down my new one now won't be delivered until the lock down eases and the VRS won't be inspected/collected either! First world problems and all that!

BCA should be contacting everyone that had an inspection and collection booked in to let them know it's been cancelled. 

Edited by ScottyNS

On 24/03/2020 at 12:01, flash222004 said:

Really, ask yourself this, would you buy a 1 year old car privately, without any come back on the seller although, the balance of the OEM warranty.

Not sure you'll have many people wanting to

Could be a right PITA, yeah nobody likes losing money but, that car is probably devaluing 400-500 a month, how long are you gonna spend trying to sell it?

16 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Really, ask yourself this, would you buy a 1 year old car privately, without any come back on the seller although, the balance of the OEM warranty.

Not sure you'll have many people wanting to

Could be a right PITA, yeah nobody likes losing money but, that car is probably devaluing 400-500 a month, how long are you gonna spend trying to sell it?

Being based in Germany probably in the Armed Forces he won't have paid any VAT which takes 20% of the new price so depends how much he paid compared to how much he wants which will determine the level of depreciation. Agree it would have been cheaper to buy a Golf R last year and keep it.:notme:

Cheers guys will probably just trade it in against the Golf for ease then. Yeah with the TAX taken off and military discount along with paying in cash so no interest etc and ARAL tax free 102RON at about 60p a litre made keeping the car not such a bad move for a year for me considering I have done 14.5k miles with peace of mind and selling my old car that was due a timing belt change and would have needed to be put through the German TUV system etc. Eventually on return to the UK I will go back to SH cars again but whilst here just thought I may as well enjoy life a bit rather than being thrifty. Just thought it could be a good saving on similar lower spec vehicles being sold at dealers for approx 3.5/4K more with less spec.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, flash222004 said:

Cheers guys will probably just trade it in against the Golf for ease then. Yeah with the TAX taken off and military discount along with paying in cash so no interest etc and ARAL tax free 102RON at about 60p a litre made keeping the car not such a bad move for a year for me considering I have done 14.5k miles with peace of mind and selling my old car that was due a timing belt change and would have needed to be put through the German TUV system etc. Eventually on return to the UK I will go back to SH cars again but whilst here just thought I may as well enjoy life a bit rather than being thrifty. Just thought it could be a good saving on similar lower spec vehicles being sold at dealers for approx 3.5/4K more with less spec.

Check out Griffin, fantastic deals for overseas service personal & of course, thanks for your service.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/03/2020 at 10:25, ScottyNS said:

Hi folks, my car is also with VWFS and it is due back at the end of April. I don't know if it is well known, but BCA inspect and collect on the same day so if anything needs doing, you have to get it done in advance of the inspection. I thought they inspected, then you had some time to fix identified issues - alas not!.

Thankfully (touching wood), I think I will be ok. If anyone wants to know, the purchase price for my manual 245, in the standard red with 16.5k on the clock is £16,200. I won't be buying, but gives people an idea. Also, I am allowed to buy it directly should I want to - I wouldn't have to purchase through my better half etc.

Hi Scotty, did your car go back yet?  With the current situation we all know that BCA are closed and not collecting.  I got a bit confused as my car is due to go back mid may.  I asked VWFS and they replied saying I could have an informal 3 month extension but on their website it said 6 months.  I replied and they said they are now offering 6 month extensions.  That raises other questions such as if I agree to 6 and then things improve and the lockdown eases, am I still committed to 6 months etc.  I have another car ive ordered which is ready but of course cant be delivered (Non skoda)

2 hours ago, martysparty99 said:

Hi Scotty, did your car go back yet?  With the current situation we all know that BCA are closed and not collecting.  I got a bit confused as my car is due to go back mid may.  I asked VWFS and they replied saying I could have an informal 3 month extension but on their website it said 6 months.  I replied and they said they are now offering 6 month extensions.  That raises other questions such as if I agree to 6 and then things improve and the lockdown eases, am I still committed to 6 months etc.  I have another car ive ordered which is ready but of course cant be delivered (Non skoda)

Hi Marty, mine isn't due back until early Nov so still another 6 months. You raise some good points though and I was seriously considering contacting VWFS to request to 'extend' the lease another 3 to 6 months. Informal sounds ok.. formal not so. I guess you have to ask them again for the T&Cs. I'm assuming the monthly 'rental' remains the same amount?

2 hours ago, martysparty99 said:

No, mine is still sat on the drive and will be until the lock down eases. They did offer me a 6 month extension on the same terms, but I declined as I have another car lined up too. It wasn't clear what extra miles I would be given, I guess a pro rata of the original agreement. Not sure what they meant my informal, I guess as Scotty72 says, it will be in the t&cs. Sounds like a new contract to me.

It was supposed to have been collected on the 7th April. My other car was due to be delivered the day after the lock down kicked in. At least they will have to sort any issues with the car given how long it will be stationary. 

What did you go for in the end? 

31 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

Hi Marty, mine isn't due back until early Nov so still another 6 months. You raise some good points though and I was seriously considering contacting VWFS to request to 'extend' the lease another 3 to 6 months. Informal sounds ok.. formal not so. I guess you have to ask them again for the T&Cs. I'm assuming the monthly 'rental' remains the same amount?

Hi Scotty, yeah I will ask them again about the T&Cs.  Yeah monthly rental the same

6 minutes ago, ScottyNS said:

No, mine is still sat on the drive and will be until the lock down eases. They did offer me a 6 month extension on the same terms, but I declined as I have another car lined up too. It wasn't clear what extra miles I would be given, I guess a pro rata of the original agreement. Not sure what they meant my informal, I guess as Scotty72 says, it will be in the t&cs. Sounds like a new contract to me.

It was supposed to have been collected on the 7th April. My other car was due to be delivered the day after the lock down kicked in. At least they will have to sort any issues with the car given how long it will be stationary. 

What did you go for in the end? 

Yeah i dont want to extend but I need a car as im a key worker.  My new car is ready but they of course cant deliver it.  Went for a Volvo V60.  I know im going to miss the VRS poke!

3 minutes ago, martysparty99 said:

Yeah i dont want to extend but I need a car as im a key worker.  My new car is ready but they of course cant deliver it.  Went for a Volvo V60.  I know im going to miss the VRS poke!

Some of the Volvo engines do have a good kick though. My wife has a v40 d4 and it has the same torque as the VRS! Am sure you will enjoy it, great cars V60s. 

1 minute ago, ScottyNS said:

Some of the Volvo engines do have a good kick though. My wife has a v40 d4 and it has the same torque as the VRS! Am sure you will enjoy it, great cars V60s. 

Yeah ive gone for the petrol auto.  I got a really good deal at the time so will be a change.  Its just annoying thats it sat somewhere and I cant get my paws on it.  1st world problems eh!

1 minute ago, martysparty99 said:

Yeah ive gone for the petrol auto.  I got a really good deal at the time so will be a change.  Its just annoying thats it sat somewhere and I cant get my paws on it.  1st world problems eh!

Indeed! Very lucky to have such first world problems. 

Keep safe!

Hi 245ers, 

mine goes back middle of June. 

I’ve had the letter from BCA and I’ve gone into the site for a price to buy. 

I’m wondering, if I put a spaceship mileage in, could I potentially get ‘bargain of the year’? 🤔 

21 minutes ago, richardwheat200 said:

I’m wondering, if I put a spaceship mileage in, could I potentially get ‘bargain of the year’? 🤔 

Don't forget that they'll also want to charge you approximately 7p for each additional spaceship mile over your allotted figure to finalise the contract.

Yes you need to settle the lease contract! I was too honest I think, admitted to 4k excess miles costing me £340 or so. I don't think the price to buy would have been £340 more with 4k less miles... I'm still happy though, £30k car for ~£23k in total. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, who (like me) has been a bit disappointed with their daily drive. Like a stick of rock I’ve got Skoda written through me. I worked at a franchised dealership for 4 years and I was converted from day 1. My last car was an octavia green line 3 estate which was an excellent car and a ‘superb’ all rounder. However, after 2 years of VRS ownership I’ve been a bit underwhelmed. It’s a lovely car but I just feel that it there was a bit more left behind by the ‘set up’ engineers. It just doesn’t put its power (and there is tons of it) down appropriately, most of it just spins away. I just felt I’d feel a bit more ‘in tune’ with it. Just wondered what others opinions are on the subject. Cheers. 

1 hour ago, richardwheat200 said:

So, who (like me) has been a bit disappointed with their daily drive. Like a stick of rock I’ve got Skoda written through me. I worked at a franchised dealership for 4 years and I was converted from day 1. My last car was an octavia green line 3 estate which was an excellent car and a ‘superb’ all rounder. However, after 2 years of VRS ownership I’ve been a bit underwhelmed. It’s a lovely car but I just feel that it there was a bit more left behind by the ‘set up’ engineers. It just doesn’t put its power (and there is tons of it) down appropriately, most of it just spins away. I just felt I’d feel a bit more ‘in tune’ with it. Just wondered what others opinions are on the subject. Cheers. 

a) Really good tyres (I like Goodyear Super sports currently)

b) Other wheels drive

• Like 2