Vacuum cleaner needed

Aspman

The hose on my bloody Dyson has just split again. I've had it about 6yr it's heavy makes odd noises and really isn't anything special for the price.

Any recommendations for a replacement?

Mid sized house, carpets and hard floors must be bagless.

The new v9 cordless Dyson is pretty good. Finally they seem to gotten it right. 

Just don't get the animal if you need a pet one. The absolute is the same thing, just different colours and more tools for LESS money (Dyson confirmed this to me when I bought my v8 and was also looking at a v7). 

GTech gets good reviews, as does Shark. 

• Like 2

I've not that long ago got a Dyson cordless and really like it. It'll do our 3 bedroom house on one charge.  Moving from a leviathan of a corded DC07, which did us well.

Gaz

• Like 1

Just get a Henry if you want a cylinder type, or a Sebo X4 upright. Both have bags (so no hidden filters to change to prevent "loss of suction" as you change the filter every time you put a new bag in), both are corded so plenty of power and won't run out just when you forget to charge it one day, and the battery in it won't need changing any time soon I bet.

• Like 3

One question- WHAT cleaner do the pro users use( domestic/commercial and the hotel industries ) . Builders use them as they are dust/dirt resistant.

Only one answer- Numatic- as in the HENRY range. They do have bags, but that's a small price to pay for a good ,long lasting cleaner. And contrary to what's said, the bags take a long time to fill.

• Like 2

On 20/04/2018 at 14:58, gadgetman said:

The new v9 cordless Dyson is pretty good. Finally they seem to gotten it right. 

Just don't get the animal if you need a pet one. The absolute is the same thing, just different colours and more tools for LESS money (Dyson confirmed this to me when I bought my v8 and was also looking at a v7). 

GTech gets good reviews, as does Shark. 

Just replaced our current Dyson DC20 vacuum,

compared the :

Shark Duoclean... few quality control issues as the demo one would not split down otherwise seemed OK

Bosch?... was OK but nothing special

Dyson V10... wow the suction is brilliant, lightweight and a decent battery (unto an hour) so spent the extra and bought the V10 Animal (the Absolute is an extra £50 and the Total clean an extra £100 and only gives you more tools... the Animal has plenty for us)

SWMBO loves it, it comes with a wall bracket to hang it up and charge automatically, worth the extra £ in her opinion.

• Like 1

We've got an Oreck, it's an upright cleaner with a bag. Looks a bit old fashioned (they have a modern look to them now) but it's done us proud over 15 years, still going strong and in use, only ever needed a new brush bar and about 3 rubber drive belts in it's lifetime.

• Like 1

Once used a henry to suck 1/2 a bittle of brandy, and the broken bottle that once contained it out of a carpet.

It did it, then started ti smell of burning.

It got put in the shed an replaced.

12months later i plugged him in. Seems he was just a bit drunk and hungover.. because he worked as a shed cleaner for about 5yrs after that.

Just left the bag out, with the over filter in place. Emptied it like a bucket when full. Cant kill a henry.

• Like 2

Henry or a Miele. Anything but a Dyson. Had three, all crap (Animal was the worst, woeful)
The Henry are also designed and made in the UK.
Don't get me started on Dyson FFS................

• Like 2

We had a vax once and I had one too many beers and decided to stick the nozzle in the cats litter tray and sucked up his litter, and then it went in the cats water bowl and it was like the parting of the Red Sea as it sucked up the water.... 

water and electricity do not mix but trusty old vax soldiered on until we got our g-tech.

Davy

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Henry or a Miele. Anything but a Dyson. Had three, all crap (Animal was the worst, woeful)
The Henry are also designed and made in the UK.
Don't get me started on Dyson FFS................

+1

Dyson's are overrated and over priced. 

We are currently using a Bosch Athlet cordless, which is good, but a bit of a fiddle for using the tools.

Edited by moley
  • Like 1

We’ve got the the new Dyson our second,got one when they first came out,I don’t know why “we” bothered crap then crap now luckily I kept the Henry.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sad555 said:

We’ve got the the new Dyson our second,got one when they first came out,I don’t know why “we” bothered crap then crap now luckily I kept the Henry.

That's why I see so many on the markets or car boots being sold off as refurbs.

22 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Are Henry's good enough to deal with cat hair on carpets?

Not sure, but you can get the spinning brush attachments seperately anyway. Have a vax head from aldi/lidl that fits our (commercial version) of henry.

After years of buying budget bagless vacuums, and them not lasting more than 18 months, we finally bought a Henry and it's just brilliant. The bags take forever to fill up and are sturdy cloth-like material with self seal hole so no dust escapes when you empty. The bags aren't that expensive either – 10 for £10. We've had it since the beginning of December last year and changed bags once. Probably due to change again in the next couple of weeks.

The power is amazing and I have to have the hole open on the pipe most of the time or you can't move the thing. The super long cord means we can do the whole downstairs area without unplugging. And it's quiet.

I never thought I'd go bag to a bagged hoover but the Henry is ace :thumbup:

It's this one:

Henry Eco Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner HVR 200-11

Or this one for pet hair, but ours copes fine with the cat hair

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4343804

Edited by Jigger72
  • Like 2

I use a Numatic vacuum for work every day. It's essentially a steel bodied Henry but slightly bigger and on wheels They last me about 6 - 8 years sucking up soot and carbon deposits from the inside of oil boilers, out of Aga burners etc. before they're knackered, then I buy a new one. I'd say mine have about the hardest life anyone could give one, and even when they're knackered I could always buy a new motor and filter etc. and keep it working, but I can't be bothered stripping them down and rebuilding them so I just chuck 'em and buy new. For domestic they'll last indefinitely I reckon, as I'll use mine more in a day than most folk will in a week in the home.

• Like 2

My father in law has a dyson cordless vacuum with a motorised head and I can honestly say I'm not sure what all the fuss is about - the price is phenomenal and the suction and battery life seems no better than my similar Beldray 22v 2 in 1 cordless with motorised head that I picked up for about £60...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, skomaz said:

My father in law has a dyson cordless vacuum with a motorised head and I can honestly say I'm not sure what all the fuss is about

Clever advertising. Get the boss on telly telling you how excellent it is enough and sheeple believe it. Like the g tech, pretty average but shoved in your face all day with a cuddly dog to boot.

• Like 1