What part of your car would you like to change?

9 hours ago, eurotraveller said:

Better (front) seats! - the key thing that might prompt me to switch brand.

Agreed, I’m beginning to find mine uncomfortable. 

Opening the back doors in heavy rain today and I got these streams of water flowing in from the roof and on to the seats. 

They need a deeper water channel on the roof.

Pretty happy otherwise.

1. Less creaks and interior plastic noises 

2. More comfortable seats. Would love if L&K seats had otherwise same build as Sportline but came with height adjustable headrests.

3. Less suspension odd noises.

4. Option to have wood(ish) trim panels in L&K. Plack piano scratches SOOOO easy.

5. Better quality polished black parts in the outside (those things at the doors covering B-pillars).

6. Wireless CarPlay.

7. Better sound isolation for front floors.

8. Option to buy rear side windows with extra sound isolation. 

9. Gear shifting paddles to be a bit more manual and not so "smart". 

10. Missus want's to start watching the movie now so will continue later ....

1. Sunglasses holder that doesn't drop the shades at you on opening

2. Interior trim that doesn't mark/score just because someone looked at it

3. Another few Bhp's

4. Less throttle lag as mentioned already

Hopefully 3 & 4 will improve with a remap that I'm investigating...

There's so many things I would change, an indication that my bonding is not going well.....

Firstly put that big central screen up high, the higher the better, as in all those cars where theirs look like a tablet stuck on top of the dashboard. Yes I know to a designer it may look a bit naff, but as a driver I finally realise I don't want to turn my head and look down at complicated map trying to work out where the sat nav is sending me while I plough into the back of a lorry. And while they're at it, just let it run android apps natively not via android auto or other method. Let it just be a tablet. Here Maps is so much better than the complicated Skoda maps.

Secondly, all those too small heater/recirc/etc buttons, they need to be illuminated all the time, small black buttons in black surround, where tf is that recirc button??

Think of an alternative to glossy black plastic, shows dirt/skin/fingerprints/scratches. Yes, wood, brushed aluminium, something different....please....

And design some more comfortable seats, with some more exciting two tone colour/materials and diamond stitching

Too much black everywhere....

And ban the fitment of P7s

And the Cappuccino that looked so good in the showroom......give me grey or silver or....

And.....

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

I've given you a "like" for that @xman, as there is much I agree with (and my bonding has gone just fine so stick with it:)).

FWIW I'm personally quite happy with the display, and I think the newer 9.2 arrangement looks even better. I certainly wouldn't want an "ipad on a stick" solution, or I'd buy an ipad and a stick. I would like a heads-up display though. IMHO illuminating all of the buttons would look messy and quite distracting at night, so if they did that I'd want the option to turn down / off the brightness.

But I agree with pretty much everything else you say. Piano black is about as impractical as it gets on the inside of a car - I shudder for owners who have kids. Skoda's solution? Put some on the outside too! No chance of that getting scratched...

Seats need an instruction manual of their own - on each of my Superbs it's taken me at least a month to get to a comfortable position, though once there I find them as comfortable as any other car I've had. There should be a default setting to start from. The cabin is certainly quite bland, and my MY17 car looks dated compared with some other cars of similar age. I like the look of the MY18 interior more, but it's still bland. A better colour palette and some element of mix and match for the interior would certainly be welcome.

The P7s are shockingly bad. There should be an option to upgrade at delivery rather than throw away new tyres or suffer them until they need replacement. Penguin had his dealer swap the brand new wheels off his 280 and replace them with the year-old wheels and tyres from his previous car. Totally understandable, but really should not be necessary given the prices they are asking us to pay for a brand new motor. Colour is so subjective you'll never get agreement across the board on it.

Still in my view there are so many more positives than negatives (interior space, comfort, safety, ACC and all the other gadgets, Canton, fuel economy, reliability, price versus comparable kit levels in other cars etc) and it puts a smile on my face each and every time I drive it. It's still the best car I've ever owned.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, daveo138 said:

What’s wrong with P7s?

Where to start from ..... nah, it would take too long.

Ohh, ok .... mostly it's their noise that is annoying.

Edited by alf.onso

11. To have an option (even for extra money) for rear doors KESSY open/close.

I am planning to buy an extra set of front KESSY door handles + some cables and fit them to the rear doors. It is already confirmed that rear doors KESSY can be activated.

12. Better OEM windscreen wipers. Mine lasted 3 months. 

13. Boot opening button (next to gearknob) to close the boot not just open it.

30 minutes ago, daveo138 said:

What’s wrong with P7s?

Most complaints are they are very noisy, which I agree with. And the performance in the wet. I can't say I've ever really experienced a problem in the wet but then I have 4x4. However when it was snowy over winter, with the ice, slush and cold etc, I did find them to be very poor in steering, or lack of. So when I change them I'm going for some all season tyres instead (of which there are very limited options for the R19s)

Meanwhile, following on from my gripe about the headlight dip level being dangerously too low, my car went for it's first service yesterday and they told me there was the warranty recall for this, which they applied. However they said it was bang on the 'legal level' which is what I was told before and they were still far too low. They said they were not legally allowed to raise the dip level above the legal limit so if it's still too low then I don't know what I can do... maybe ask a non Skoda main dealer to adjust them??  I've not tried them out at night/dark since yesterday yet but will do tonight and I'll see if this recall adjustment has made any difference.

I was also told that the random metallic noises that come from (what I perceived as) the rear suspension may actually have been "gravel in the exhaust tip fairings" which were cleaned out. So far no more noises so it could have been that afterall...

Edited by TGR

Update:

So went out in the dark last night. The headlight dip level is marginally, marginally better after the recall application. Still not where I want it to be. If only there was a manual trim function! So annoying.

Doesn't anyone else have this problem with the self leveling Xenons (with Smart Light Assist)?

I find that most cars with auto-levelling feel like the light beam is too close but I'm sure we all know that this is done to stop it blinding oncoming traffic. If you have been adjusting it above this level in previous cars then you have probably been causing a danger to oncoming traffic. The fact that people often run with their lights set too high is why self levelling is a legal requirement for xenons and manufacturers are not allowed to let the use wind them up further. Personally I find the xenons on the sportline280 very good, yes I can't see as far or safely drive as fast as I would in daylight but these are road car lights not a rally setup after all, certainly they are far better than the non-xenon lights I have had on previous cars.

If you still unsure the dealer has got it right just drop into a local garage and ask them to check it - many will do the check free on the hope of work.

(My car is a standard 280Sportline, no options that affect the lights - not sure if you have an additional package for even smarter lights than the default)

1 hour ago, paul_7_7_7 said:

I find that most cars with auto-levelling feel like the light beam is too close but I'm sure we all know that this is done to stop it blinding oncoming traffic. If you have been adjusting it above this level in previous cars then you have probably been causing a danger to oncoming traffic. The fact that people often run with their lights set too high is why self levelling is a legal requirement for xenons and manufacturers are not allowed to let the use wind them up further. Personally I find the xenons on the sportline280 very good, yes I can't see as far or safely drive as fast as I would in daylight but these are road car lights not a rally setup after all, certainly they are far better than the non-xenon lights I have had on previous cars.

If you still unsure the dealer has got it right just drop into a local garage and ask them to check it - many will do the check free on the hope of work.

(My car is a standard 280Sportline, no options that affect the lights - not sure if you have an additional package for even smarter lights than the default)

I have not been dazzling oncoming traffic with previous cars. In fact my previous car, an 05 plate Octavia actually had the lights re-leveled by my previous main dealer to the 'legal limit' and were then WAY too high - I had to trim them all the way back to where I liked them (not too high to dazzle) so there is some serious inconsistency somewhere...

And as xman says - its the cut off line that is the problem (even with xenons). Awesome light up to a few car lengths ahead and then pitch blackness. Very dangerous IMO. Weirdly the pattern of the cut off line illuminates the sides of the road plenty far enough, then it weirdly dips in the middle - where the road ahead actually is. Simply NOT clever.

Otherwise I really do love this car.

Are you seeing this shortfall at all speeds and in all situations? 

The pattern should adjust according to conditions, area and speed. My manual says that "the system will automatically operate in the following modes: urban, extra-urban, motorway, rain, fog, adjusting the lighting direction of the headlights for road illumination on bends."

I am not sure what the Sportline comes with re light systems but on my L&K  the systems are also affected by what setting you have in DCC.  e.g. the dynamic cornering of the headlamps only works in sport mode (or if set in individual mode of course).

My observation is that the AFS system on the S3 is the best illumination I have had on a car. I do, however, agree that sometimes at slow speed or in urban areas it can feel a 'little short' on distance and the switch back up to full high beam spectrum (I have the shadow tech system) can also feel a bit slow sometimes. 

4 minutes ago, edbostan said:

In winter when defrosting the screen the default for the screen only position turns the aircon on by default. Blowing ice cold air on a frosted screen is no help

The aircon comes on to help remove moisture.

On 27/06/2018 at 15:43, alf.onso said:

Where to start from ..... nah, it would take too long.

Ohh, ok .... mostly it's their noise that is annoying.

What brand are the P7's you're talking about?

20 minutes ago, technics100 said:

What brand are the P7's you're talking about?

They are Pirelli Cinturato P7. They are better than the original P7s on my old Mk2, but still hellishly noisy and not great in the wet.

1 hour ago, BriskodaJeff said:

They are Pirelli Cinturato P7. They are better than the original P7s on my old Mk2, but still hellishly noisy and not great in the wet.

Hmm, I picked my 220bhp up on the 1st of June and it's on Bridgestone potenzas..