Longest trip in a Citigo?

jst_at_home

Hi all

what's the longest trip anyone's done in a Citigo?

Long story short. 

We're setting off to Austria on 24/6.  We have a Yeti but are replacing it with an Octavia Estate.  We had hoped the new car would have arrived but it's currently sat in the quayside in Emden waiting for a ferry.  We might just have it in time.  However dealer is wondering whether to loan me a car to go with and take the Yeti from us to save the mileage which I estimate at about 2,500.

And then I started wondering how it would be to go in our Citigo.  4 of us.  With a roof box.  

I'm sure the Citigo would cope and certainly no worse than the Metro D we did the same trip with many years ago.

Not saying I'll do it, just wondering.

John

We did a Scottish trip in our near new Citigo 75 Elegance auto which resulted in about 1700 miles with no problems. In fact we were surprised how well it coped, OK only two of us, but the way it would go from 70 to 80+ for overtaking was very good. Try it!

• Like 1

Just for overtaking of course officer! :D Got a picture in my head of a determined little Citigo overtaking me  at 84 mph near the Trossachs.

• Like 1

Mrs JST isn't keen but I think it would be fine.  Ours is only 60bhp, but it goes just fine.  It might seem dwarfed by the roof-box!  I'll see what the dealer offers.  

A Kodiaq would be nice...

John

2 hours ago, RickW said:

Just for overtaking of course officer! :D Got a picture in my head of a determined little Citigo overtaking me  at 84 mph near the Trossachs.

Hi RickW

I see you have an A40 Farina.  I've just sold my M-B 300E-24 (reluctantly) as 3 cars was one too many for us.  Probably the only car I was sad to see go and it's left a hole :sadsmile:

John

I've been contemplating selling my A40 ,I've had it for 28 years and it's 60 next year. Now you've said that about your MB it's made me think.

Edited by RickW

8 hours ago, jst_at_home said:

And then I started wondering how it would be to go in our Citigo.  4 of us.  With a roof box.  

The drag from the roofbox would kill you. 70 might not even be possible. Then 4-up with roof-box would probably put you over the all-up weight for the vehicle. Not to mention the roof loading limit for the Citigo.

It's a game little car, but that might just be a step too far. :blink:

24 minutes ago, Luckypants said:

The drag from the roofbox would kill you. 70 might not even be possible. 

It's a game little car, but that might just be a step too far. :blink:

This one should solve the speed problem

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/citigo-4-motion-2-0-tdi-16v-common-rail/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jst_at_home said:

Hi all

what's the longest trip anyone's done in a Citigo?

Long story short. 

We're setting off to Austria on 24/6.  We have a Yeti but are replacing it with an Octavia Estate.  We had hoped the new car would have arrived but it's currently sat in the quayside in Emden waiting for a ferry.  We might just have it in time.  However dealer is wondering whether to loan me a car to go with and take the Yeti from us to save the mileage which I estimate at about 2,500.

I'm sure the Citigo would cope and certainly no worse than the Metro D we did the same trip with many years ago.

Not saying I'll do it, just wondering.

John

Don't do it, just don't do it, no honestly really just don't even go there !!

Before my Citigo, I took a trip from Cardiff to the Nordschleife in a Volkswagen Fox. Just two people, a drive across Europe, 4 days and 4 laps of Green Hell.

I wouldn't do it in a Citigo if you have something bigger. The motorways are just painful.

In two weeks time I'll be taking a 1100 km trip in a Citigo for vacation, seeing parents. As I've never driven longer than 3 hours straight my whole life, I'm horribly scared of such a long journey mostly on the motorways with this little car, but what can you do, my love insisted.  I mostly hope Skoda reliability won't let me down in the blistering summer heat of a foreign country.

I wouldn't have a problem doing it 2 up but I probably wouldn't with the additional 2 rear passengers and 4 peoples luggage,

I am surprised at all these comments saying don’t do it!  I think back to the early 70’s when my 1966 Mini 85 survived many long journeys with 4 up , stuffed full of luggage, didn’t have streamlined roof boxes then, just a metal roof rack with cases on!  

Pah,  you’re all snowflakes ( to coin a popular phase) - no insult intended.

I think we we forget how advanced our Citigo are compared with the cars of 40 years ago, and speaking of reliability, how often have we had to top up our water, oil, brake fluid in between annul,services on a Citigo?  The Citigo is a Rolls Royce compared to a 60’s Mini, and you can hear the radio at Motorway speeds.   OK, it doesn’t have the performance of an Octy or Yeti, but it is a willing beast. I’ve just had the luxury of an Octy 1.4TSI DSG while our Citigo was in for a service today, and yes it was very nice and powerful, but did it get me the 20 miles home any quicker than the Citigo?, no and it used more fuel despite having 2 cylinder shutdown.  Rant over!

• Like 2

I used to drive from Germany to zeebrugge -ferry- Dover to Plymouth in a MK1 fiesta 11,00cc fully loaded with a couple of passengers plus luggage.

Not sure what bhp a 1979, Fiesta had but no mobile phone, just jumped in and drove.

Even remember being 5 up (Mum,Dad, sister, brother & me) in an "F" reg Mini 1000cc, full boot and a metal roof rack with the obligatory polythene wrapped suitcases going fom Plymouth to Hull in one go!

I also took my wife and two daughters all over Northern France in a 1998 Clio 1.4 with a roofbox fully loaded.

Jump in your modern, comfortable, reliable airconditioned 60bhp Citigo and enjoy it if that's up the only option :)

Edited by Defenderben
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, SteveJP said:

I am surprised at all these comments saying don’t do it!  I think back to the early 70’s when my 1966 Mini 85 survived many long journeys with 4 up , stuffed full of luggage, didn’t have streamlined roof boxes then, just a metal roof rack with cases on!  

Pah,  you’re all snowflakes ( to coin a popular phase) - no insult intended.

I think we we forget how advanced our Citigo are compared with the cars of 40 years ago, and speaking of reliability, how often have we had to top up our water, oil, brake fluid in between annul,services on a Citigo?  The Citigo is a Rolls Royce compared to a 60’s Mini, and you can hear the radio at Motorway speeds.   OK, it doesn’t have the performance of an Octy or Yeti, but it is a willing beast. I’ve just had the luxury of an Octy 1.4TSI DSG while our Citigo was in for a service today, and yes it was very nice and powerful, but did it get me the 20 miles home any quicker than the Citigo?, no and it used more fuel despite having 2 cylinder shutdown.  Rant over!

Yep I used to do it.

Mini Clubman 1100 special, small Ford hatches etc. 

But now I'm older, my back is stiffer and we pack more gear. A trip to Austria 4 up and full of luggage? The Citigo would cope fine, I just wouldn't enjoy it.

Edited by logiclee

Just do it. I pack mine to the roof for trips to the tip. Found suitcases of different sizes to fit four in the boot. Two sons 6ft. 5". tall ride in the back. OK, I have left my children behind, sat on the wall, at DIY stores. Well, with the seats folded, flat packs filling the rear of the car , the seat belts did not reach the roof! Anyone with family will tell you that not everyone is flexible and can complain from time to time. As long as they have a passport and an address label round their neck they will arrive eventually.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, bouff34 said:

I did ten miles with my mother-in-law in the passenger seat... does this count as longest journey?

The dark side of Einstein's theory of 'relativity' applies here....so it might!

I've done a fair share of 3+ hour journeys in my Citigo, and while it's perfectly adequate, when loaded up with 4 people and their luggage, it does get a bit wearing if you're not driving on exclusively motorways, as while it can handle a steady 60 mph cruise just fine, accelerating is quite a chore. I would say do it if you like, but if you get offered something with more power, then take it!