just bought 67 reg SEL NO CD PLAYER Aaaargh!

Had a 14 reg Octavia SE and "upgraded" to a 67 reg SEL as I love the cars.

Never dreamt it wouldn't have a CD Player in the wi fi system.

Only found out a day later.

Not a happy bunny as have hundreds of CD's that we always play when driving.

Taken the edge off my nearly new car. Feel let down.

2 hours ago, canterburyblue said:

Those will fit on a memory card and you will have much more convenience that way.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Those will fit on a memory card and you will have much more convenience that way.

Exactly. Take the time to put your CDs on an SD card and you will have all your tunes at your fingertips! 

Another vote for SD card. I’ve only just bought my octy a couple of months ago but been cd less for a few years as the head unit I fitted to my last car only had USB and BT. SD isn’t quite as good as the Pioneer full iPod control I had in the last car, but it’s a lot better than CD. 

Edited by uchuff

4 minutes ago, uchuff said:

Another vote for SD card. I’ve only just bought my octy a couple of ml the ago but been cd less for a few years as the head unit I fitted to my last car only had USB and BT. SD isn’t quite as good as the Pioneer full iPod control I had in the last car, but it’s a lot better than CD. 

Just now, canterburyblue said:

Thanks Juan27

Just now, canterburyblue said:

Thanks Juan27

4 minutes ago, uchuff said:

Another vote for SD card. I’ve only just bought my octy a couple of ml the ago but been cd less for a few years as the head unit I fitted to my last car only had USB and BT. SD isn’t quite as good as the Pioneer full iPod control I had in the last car, but it’s a lot better than CD. 

Mentioning iPod actually, I think the new head units like yours do have iPod control if you plug in to the usb in the dash. No idea if it’s as good as the Pioneer (browse by artist, album, playlist, search etc) as I often plug my phone in so haven’t tried. 

I've got hundreds, if not thousands of CDs, my old car had a CD slot in the head unit and a 6 disc auto changer but I rarely used either tbh.  The huge wad of CDs in a CD wallet stayed in my glovebox for pretty much the entire 6 years of ownership without seeing the light of day (the discs are probably welded into the plastic sleeves by now).  

Once I could connect my phone up and play music from there, that's pretty much what I did, the SD card in the Octavia is even more convenient.  I don't even know if the CD player works or not :D

As a fellow CD lover, you will come to love the convenience of digital music..... even if it does take a while to rip CD to SD :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

+1

I've ripped all my CDs to .mp3 files using Windows Media Player and now have 98GB of music on SD cards and copied to iTunes to also have on our iPhones.

So now we can listen to all of our music at any time we like.

I've ripped my cd's on USB stick. It's takes a while to do. My mates  seat leon has a cd player in glove box were the sd cards are put for sat Nav like in the Octavia. Got told a by salesman not Skoda that cd's were old tech so weren't put them in cars yet you can still get wind up windows in some cars!

8 hours ago, canterburyblue said:

Few new cars have CD players, those that do tend to look 'old school'. You can buy a portable CD player from Argos - £12.99 and listen to it via the AUX port. And they sell cassette players for those who don;t like digitalized music one bit.  :biggrin:

93fdf2b9d7eb23e018a31b645f2c63b7--lp-pla

Reminds me I still need to get _my_ music on the SD card, so far I've only moved the missus stuff over. I got my old macbook out to do it and the off-brand cheapo battery i had bought was inflated like a balloon, I think I have a caddy somewhere so I should be able to whip the hard drive out and plug it into USB on my new mac. Most of the time I just stream spotify, but it doesn't have everything. 

Only thing to add @canterburyblue would be if album art is important to you, it may be worth checking a couple of guides on here as I think the Amundsen is quite specific on the format. I haven't bothered yet but will probably sort it at some point. 

Edited by uchuff
  • Like 1

Being ultra modern I've only just gone onto Spotify through my android auto connection. I haven't bought a CD since the early 2000's though. I've got access to 50 million songs online and up to 3333 songs offline. I'm loving it!

• Like 1

Like many people, I no longer own a single CD. Everything was converted to FLAC and put on the SD card and the rest is streamed via Amazon Music. Once you move away from CD’s, you really won’t look back. My Mercedes came with a CD autochanger and it has never been used in my ownership.

• Like 1

So far I've just been playing music from my phone or streaming services...but if I did want to add an SD with many ripped CDs on is there a need to create a directory structure? On my MK2 I had a folder for each letter of the alphabet sitting above the artist folders...does the Mk3 have more MP3 player like facilities?

Any suggestions what size card I would need to transfer around 50 cds to SD? And not having checked and missus having car today, what size is card i.e. micro etc?

Cheers

Should be standard sd card size, not microsd like for mobile phones etc, first car without a cd player also and i love it, i also use amazon music via Bluetooth to play songs/playlists etc

47 minutes ago, gman1967 said:

Any suggestions what size card I would need to transfer around 50 cds to SD? And not having checked and missus having car today, what size is card i.e. micro etc?

Cheers

That would probably fit on a 16GB card but might as well get a 64GB or bigger given the prices these days, you never know.

The car takes a full size SD but these days it's often cheaper to get a Micro SD with an adaptor to make it bigger, I guess due to so many phones and other devices pushing the price of Micro SD down.  I've got one of these in 128GB:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073JYC4XM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by uchuff

I have my collection of thousands of CD's ripped to FLAC on a network drive that I can access from anywhere.

Also makes it easy to drop them on a SD Card or USB for the car.

I still buy CD's as they are not much more than an mp3 and I don't do compressed music. Rip the CD to FLAC and it goes in storage.

My Columbus has a CD/DVD player but I only use it for DVD playback.

20 hours ago, canterburyblue said:

It all comes down to research, research, research. I feel your pain. Well I did when I bought my previous Octavia SE L estate, no CD slot to be seen, luckily for me, my daughter had a spare slot on her family Spotify premium subscription :party: I've never looked back, however until then I put my CDs on to USB stick. Time consuming but fixed short term.

I'm now on my second Octavia SE L estate DSG 67 on a plate, I'm loving it just like you. CD slot or not as the case maybe :D

On 13/07/2018 at 15:00, Russ77 said:

I've got hundreds, if not thousands of CDs, my old car had a CD slot in the head unit and a 6 disc auto changer but I rarely used either tbh.  The huge wad of CDs in a CD wallet stayed in my glovebox for pretty much the entire 6 years of ownership without seeing the light of day (the discs are probably welded into the plastic sleeves by now).  

Once I could connect my phone up and play music from there, that's pretty much what I did, the SD card in the Octavia is even more convenient.  I don't even know if the CD player works or not :D

As a fellow CD lover, you will come to love the convenience of digital music..... even if it does take a while to rip CD to SD :)

Used my cd player once to make sure it worked as the car was 2nd hand. Never used it again. SD card the way to go.

On 13/07/2018 at 10:22, Scot5 said:

You can buy a portable CD player from Argos - £12.99 and listen to it via the AUX port.

I sat in a new one in the showroom the other day and it didn't seem to have an AUX port either...

(Or at least they've moved/hidden it somewhere - if so then it's no longer next to the USB socket though.)