Map update

i'm guessing provider of maps has been changed,
all previous releases were publicized firstly on the navigation.com
but now, after select VW or Skoda, this page says

Navigation.com does not distribute Volkswagen map updates. For more information, click the button below to access the official Volkswagen map update website.

previous direct links are still alive:
http://vw.download.navigation.com/automotive/VW/MIB2/MIB_High2_Single_Files_EU/P157_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT.7z
http://vw.download.navigation.com/automotive/VW/MIB2/MIB_High2_Single_File_EU/P161_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT.7z
http://vw.download.navigation.com/automotive/VW/MIB2/MIB_High2_Single_File_EU/P166_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT.7z

but last one located on another domain:
http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/P169_N60S5MIBH3_EU.7z

On 05/08/2018 at 12:52, JR RS said:

sadly I'm getting errors with the MRM 2018/2019 maps sourced from the Portal.

I've done updates in the past before with no issues.

this time the Columbus is not happy about it :(

getting the following error:-

IMAG2076.thumb.jpg.1c81881e0c5f3e69bb040233384add9c.jpg

Mine does exactly the same after 5 attempts. Even tried a different SD card. The message is the same on my screen. Definitely an issue with the ROW 2018/2019 maps. 

41 minutes ago, Andysuew said:

Mine does exactly the same after 5 attempts. Even tried a different SD card. The message is the same on my screen. Definitely an issue with the ROW 2018/2019 maps. 

I've just updated my maps OK via the portal - so they do work.

At the risk of stating the obvious, are you using the unpack facility after the download (if not than are you sure you've copied them to the correct place on the card) & are you using a fat32 formatted sd card?

12 minutes ago, JamKart said:

I've just updated my maps OK via the portal - so they do work.

At the risk of stating the obvious, are you using the unpack facility after the download (if not than are you sure you've copied them to the correct place on the card) & are you using a fat32 formatted sd card?

which maps did u download?

is it "HIGH12_P71_MRM_201819"?

remember we, i.e. RoW (Rest of the World) do not use european maps.

as per my previous posts, i've used the portal (via downloader app) twice - same error.

i had a look at my previous two maps (P65 & P68) which i successfully updated last time, and i notice this latest one, P71, is missing the "Truffles" folder, inside Mib2?

what is this folder?

what does it do?

can i copy the Truffles folder from a previous map update into this new one?

any ideas?

1817258387_P71UpdatemissingTruffles.JPG.d1aac0b58172e9aad64fdefa62e4a3f8.JPG

6 minutes ago, JR RS said:

which maps did u download?

is it "HIGH12_P71_MRM_201819"?

remember we, i.e. RoW (Rest of the World) do not use european maps.

as per my previous posts, i've used the portal (via downloader app) twice - same error.

i had a look at my previous two maps (P65 & P68) which i successfully updated last time, and i notice this latest one, P71, is missing the "Truffles" folder, inside Mib2?

what is this folder?

what does it do?

can i copy the Truffles folder from a previous map update into this new one?

any ideas?

1817258387_P71UpdatemissingTruffles.JPG.d1aac0b58172e9aad64fdefa62e4a3f8.JPG

It was HIGH12_P169_EU_201819.zip and it did contain the "Mib2\Truffles" folder - no idea what it's for but it does contain a directory for each EU lang.

Exact same error message here too.

I have not updated maps previously for my Skoda online but I followed the instructions closely!l

Doing another download just in case the file became corrupt during download (takes some 17 min to DL)

The MRM source file in the update portal is the fault here.

Not the download method.

Not the extracter.

Not the unpacker.

Not the sd-card/usb.

As per earlier my post, which no one seems to read....

The P71 MRM update is failing in the Columbus because it is missing an entire folder called "Truffles", normally inside the Mib2 folder.
The metainfo2 file in Mib2 makes reference to that folder, but it doesn't exist with the) P71 update - hence the error.

In the previous map updates, i.e. P65 and P68, this Truffles folder was present.

Who do we email/contact to say the MRM Map in the portal is incomplete, hence causing errors?

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 1

On 07/08/2018 at 07:20, JR RS said:

The P71 MRM update is failing in the Columbus because it is missing an entire folder called "Truffles", normally inside the Mib2 folder.

Confirmed. And it's not an easy folder to just copy in. Other than being 426meg in size, there is specific information in a sqlite database and a few binary files that are probably linked to the new content.

Fingers crossed they realise (as no one in ROW can use it) and they fix it.

3 hours ago, blueSup said:

Confirmed. And it's not an easy folder to just copy in. Other than being 426meg in size, there is specific information in a sqlite database and a few binary files that are probably linked to the new content.

Fingers crossed they realise (as no one in ROW can use it) and they fix it.

Correct, sourcing the Truffles file from elsewhere will not, does not work.

I tried.

I ended up sourcing a VW 2018/2019 RoW Map, which is also P71, and it updated successfully in the Superb.

I don't know when Skoda will fix their map in the portal, which is actually missing a lot of files!!!

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

Correct, sourcing the Truffles file from elsewhere will not, does not work.

I tried.

I ended up sourcing a VW 2018/2019 RoW Map, which is also P71, and it updated successfully in the Superb.

I don't know when Skoda will fix their map in the portal, which is actually missing a lot of files!!!

Are there any other differences between the Skoda and VW maps?

I updated to the Skoda EU 201819 maps and I’m not satisfied with how all smaller roads miss the speed limit signs. They were there on the 2015/2016 maps which I had before updating. I thought an update would mean an upgrade, not downgrade :/

10 hours ago, jaggafredde said:

Are there any other differences between the Skoda and VW maps?

in terms of map structure, No.

in terms of Columbus vs Discover-Pro, No

the VW maps had a lot more locales than the Skoda Maps.

then again, this P71 version of the Skoda maps was broken and incomplete.

there was a couple of hundred difference short, in files, in the Skoda Maps.

the P71 Maps sourced from the VW Portal was all good.

Edited by JR RS

6 hours ago, JR RS said:

Ah okay. By more locales, do you mean more smaller villages and roads? I’m trying figure out why there were more traffic signs showing on the old map than the new ones. Or maybe Skoda/VW has changed the map provider since 2015?

10 hours ago, JR RS said:

Which vehicle did you choose to source the maps from on the VW portal??

Also which Nav system did you choose.

Edited by Andysuew

4 hours ago, jaggafredde said:

Ah okay. By more locales, do you mean more smaller villages and roads? I’m trying figure out why there were more traffic signs showing on the old map than the new ones. Or maybe Skoda/VW has changed the map provider since 2015?

Don't know specifically, but it was based on folder counts.

Yes, Skoda did change map providers recently.

11 minutes ago, Andysuew said:

Which vehicle did you choose to source the maps from on the VW portal??

Also which Nav system did you choose.

Doesn't really matter, as long as u pick a VW with the DiscoverPro Unit.

For example Golf GTi, or Passat, or Arteon.

I used the Passat.

Another mate use Golf GTi.

Main thing is that it is the DiscoverPro update, if you have a Columbus unit in ur Skoda.

5 minutes ago, JR RS said:

Don't know specifically, but it was based on folder counts.

Doesn't really matter, as long as u pick a VW with the DiscoverPro Unit.

For example Golf GTi, or Passat, or Arteon.

I used the Passat.

Another mate use Golf GTi.

Main thing is that it is the DiscoverPro update, if you have a Columbus unit in ur Skoda.

Thanks JR. I see there is 2choices for the Discover pro. Left or right. It’s a 50/50 bet???

21 minutes ago, JR RS said:

Thanks, that’s great info, sounds like that’s the difference I’m seeing then.

Do you know if the VW maps are from the same map provider as Skoda are currently using?

25 minutes ago, Andysuew said:

Thanks JR. I see there is 2choices for the Discover pro. Left or right. It’s a 50/50 bet???

No no.

The two choices are either Discover Media or Discover Pro.

As I said, pick Discover Pro if u have a Columbus unit.

7 minutes ago, jaggafredde said:

Do you know if the VW maps are from the same map provider as Skoda are currently using?

Yup, same map provider.

Different packager.....

• Like 1

Just now, JR RS said:

Yup, same map provider.

Different packager.....

Sigh just as I thought. This is crap. The only way to get back the speed signs I originally had is to hunt down an old update zip before they changed their map provider. 

Or maybe contact the map provider. Do you know who they’re using now?

Are both the Mib1 and Mib2 folders needed for the Columbus maps?

I’m trying to find an old map update to get those speed limit signs I’ve talked about. Found an update that had a corrupt file in the Mib1 folder and another update where the Mib1 folder were missing.

Forget about the Skoda map update as many have found it is corrupted. Down load the VAG ones - have a look earlier in the thread. They work and are for EU.

Sorry about you guys in ROW. You may have to look on VW forums for links to rest of the world downloads.

10 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Forget about the Skoda map update as many have found it is corrupted. Down load the VAG ones - have a look earlier in the thread. They work and are for EU.

Sorry about you guys in ROW. You may have to look on VW forums for links to rest of the world downloads.

I've already posted (above) the VW Portal link, which has both RoW and EU maps.

I updated today (EU maps) using a W10 PC and a 64GB card with no trouble at all; apart from the 10 hours of download and 20 mins of unpacking to the card!!!  15 mins or so in the car and all done.

Perhaps i should plan a road trip to visit all the countries I have to download----why--why cant I select the ones i want? Now that would be 'Simply Clever',

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just noticed on a recent trip to Holyhead via the navigation that it was offering to download a map update of around 500mb. Not really something I want to waste my mobile data allowance on.

In the update portal, I can now see this is available, so will try it on to a SD card, but 24 gig is going to take a long time on my rubbish connection speed :sadsmile:

810D9DA7-F475-49C4-B08C-C7208BA7CF1C.png

I only got my 67 plate SEL a week & a half ago, so still finding out what does what, but on the first evening while checking out the infotainment system it found my home wifi system, so I logged it in. Then, when checking out the satnav system it said there was an update available, so I told it to go ahead. In less than half an hour the downloads were done. After downloading there was a distinct lack of info as to whether the updates were being installed, but when I checked the following morning it stated that the England South & North maps are now 2018/9. So, if you are fortunate enough to be in reach of a decent speed wifi system, I'd suggest doing the download that way instead of using an SD card & possibly encountering some of the problems I've been reading about.