How bad are budget tyres?

Wench

On 17/08/2018 at 17:28, Wino said:

How can you skid under braking in a car with ABS?

Try wet braking over bumps on Continentals with only 3mm tread remaining. 

"Premium" tyres, ABS. Still skids. Exciting.

Research your tyres in full  here:

tyrereviews.co.uk

Disregard any with bad write ups for wet grip or braking.

Check the exact tyre. Two tyre models from one brand can be completely different. Goodrides are called ditch-finders by some, but both @Offski and myself have been happy with the sets we had.

And don't go with just one recommendation from a bloke on the internet or in the pub. For instance Uniroyal have been recommended on this thread but their deservedly popular Rainsport 2 and 3 are not only renowned for great grip - but also very quick wear.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

I have had Goodride with M&S markings and ones with the Snow Peak and will again if i have some car they will suit.

Tigar tyres did good as well.  & the other brand of Serbian tyres i had. 

It was the Maxxis APII that got a bulge. but Mytyres replaced a pair.

(I have a rubber fetish and like the right tyres for the conditions they are going to be used in.)

post-86161-0-50269600-1458230079.jpg.1dee1bd8a359be9c39fe550b9827292e.jpg.30c6d8e5af35f42b940caba7ecc84cf4.jpg

DSCN0331.JPG.5487eb8ac8c1f58c4646869245f2588a.JPG.2dbbca9254cd222861cc1fcdbf03fb5d.JPG.4642e09e31897aadc8bf783f64d54857 (1).JPG

post-86161-0-01078300-1444393088.jpg.d98a61807a643ba6b06f8a224a4a6333.jpg.44cc49727db349875ca5fe63e546f95d (1).jpg

5a2d982e60520_SierraCrail003.JPG.b519d4a68252a29a472adc11920f1cd0.JPG

5a2d9842b6fed_SierraCrail005.JPG.132d5efe3ad731928faee552a4a2eeeb.JPG

Edited by Offski

The last set of "decent" tyre's I bought were over 10 years ago, Bought some soft compound Toyo proxies that lasted me about 3 months. Went for falken f52's on my 2.0tfsi Audi and they lasted me which like seem forever.

Since then I've went budget paying £50 a corner, Had budget tyres on my fabia Vrs(which is wheel spin happy) for best part of year now and the tread has barely moved. Of course you will suffer from more road noise and a harsher ride however I've not found any ditches in nearly 10 years of running budgets.

2 hours ago, Mickmartin said:

The last set of "decent" tyre's I bought were over 10 years ago, Bought some soft compound Toyo proxies that lasted me about 3 months. Went for falken f52's on my 2.0tfsi Audi and they lasted me which like seem forever.

Since then I've went budget paying £50 a corner, Had budget tyres on my fabia Vrs(which is wheel spin happy) for best part of year now and the tread has barely moved. Of course you will suffer from more road noise and a harsher ride however I've not found any ditches in nearly 10 years of running budgets.

Im not sure if this post is a Micky take or not. 

Toyo soft compond tyres didn’t last long, I can’t imagine why. 

Fabia VRS is wheel spin happy and the tread has barely worn, again I can’t imagine why. 

• Haha 1

When buying a car, tyres very often are a window into the service history of a car. If you see 4 random Ling-Longs on a car, it's doubtful the owner has looked after it.

• Like 2

On 25/08/2018 at 21:47, Babs said:

When buying a car, tyres very often are a window into the service history of a car. If you see 4 random Ling-Longs on a car, it's doubtful the owner has looked after it.

This is so true! Ling longs! Lol!!!

I ve always had all 4 the same brand Dunlop, good year or conti s. Will try some Michelin next PS4 s 

On 17/08/2018 at 15:45, Wench said:

Well so far I’ve wondered what the Kwik Fit cheapo ones are like.

not that I’m a fan of places like Kwik Fit but they should at least be better than a dodgy back street garage!

They will be exactly the same quality you can buy from any other place if it’s the same brand! The difference will be in price- a lot more expensive.

The only Time I visit them is for the Hunter machine alignment; the only place in my area who does that.They are good at it, I hope

Anyone can be taught to set up an Alignment check with whatever system.  Even chalk, string and a plumb bob.

If they actually learn and repeat is another question.

If i would let them then make the adjustments on the vehicle is something totally different.

Some have very little mechanical training or experience and have a manager or supervisor with even less.

I have Membat Passion on the front of my Fabia VRS in standard size. They were on the car when I got it.  They have a C dry and B Wet rating and 72db. They have done over 20k miles and still have 4mm of tread left. I can get them spinning in 4th gear and in the wet they like going straight on at roundabouts. 

They are certainly noisier than my mud tyres that I had on the 4x4. I can't wait until the end of the summer when I will take them off.

I also have some cheapo 2nd hand tyres in 195 I picked up of eBay for the steel wheels. Were nearly new so a shame to take the tyres off. 1 Nexan rated E dry and C wet and 74db and a Headway that I can't find any details for.

I wouldnt usually mix tyres out of choice, but this combination seems to stiick to the road and I struggle to spin the tyres even in the wet. Feels a lot more planted on the road.

On other cars I have had Nexan and toyos that lower ratings than the Membat passions but have performed better. In general I always find toyos wear very quickly, but cost and performance balance this out. 

I think the ratings on all tyres need to be taken with a pinch of salt and a tyre that suits one persons style of driving won't necessarily suit someone else.

I was persuaded to put a set of HAIDA tyres on the back of the Passat a few years ago as the local tyre fitter didn't have much else under Premium Pirelli prices in the right size.  Drove about 4 miles and had to stop as I thought there was no air in the tyres!  Could have been the incorrect load rating, but it felt like the back was wobbly around corners and could break away.  Turned round and parked it on the drive until an order from Camskill arrived...

Falken and Khumo have been good buys for me in the past - not top prices, but way better than no names for not a lot more money.

7 hours ago, raystaggs said:

Falken and Khumo have been good buys for me in the past - not top prices, but way better than no names for not a lot more money.

Same here, always rate these. Certainly more than most Continentals I've used to be honest. Current tyre of choice is Michelin Pilot Sport 4, not bad at £110 fitted for 225/40-R18.

On 25/08/2018 at 21:47, Babs said:

So true.

The Good Rides I stuck on my Vec GSI were shocking, almost as poor as the West Lakes I stuck on a car that I used just to potter around in.  and Ling Longs ..... *shudder*

Granted Toyos are quick to wear but theres a reason for that .... Grip.  If you dont nail it everywhere and corner like a *pro* then you can still get reasonable mileage out of them.  We got 18k out of Yoko Prada Spec 2's on the front of our Zafira VXR which I was happy with.

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 15:16, Wench said:

Car needs a bit of work doing on it.

budget tyres vs big brand would help save a bit of cash.

i don’t tend to drive very far, with long journey maybe two or three times a month.

What age & spec is the fabia & whats the tyre size?...….no point top spec cont' premium contact or pilot sports...

But plenty of very good economy versions done by main brands....

Tyres:- four rubber circles which are the main things which control the cars contact with the road, its grip etc..& yet everyone wants to skimp......how much is your life worth???

14 minutes ago, Offski said:

WTF are Skoda or SEAT thinking then when they fit the likes of Continental Premium Contact 2 ContiSeal or Bridgestone Duelers as the OEM fitment and importing the vehicles to the UK.  Even to what they class a a SUV?

@Offski Off topic but what’s wrong with Bridgestone Duelers? I’ve seen quite a few on eBay listed as unused but removed from new vehicle 

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

They were fitted to 2 Ateca 190 ps DSG AWD's i used earlier this year during a snowy time and on snowy roads on a diesel and a petrol and a 150ps Karoq,  they were dire, 

as they have been for the last decades that Suzuki have been fitting then as OEM.

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 21:07, Babs said:

Current tyre of choice is Michelin Pilot Sport 4, not bad at £110 fitted for 225/40-R18.

Ha - that's what I've put on the wife's Octy - though 17's...

On 17/08/2018 at 16:34, Wino said:

I bought four of these for £54 each fitted for the missus's Fabia a little while ago. Price still seems to be the same now. She seems perfectly happy with them.

Those goodyear efficientgrip tyres totally transformed my last Rapid. I got a set of 15" XL ones and the car drove like it was on rails. Phenomenal grip but not quite as good fuel economy as the Continental ecocontacts that they replaced

• Like 1

I used to use Avon eco tyres, they were just as good and a much better price than Michelin energy which were almost double the price. No difference in longevity or handling either.

If you want a bargain have a look in the tyres/wheels for sale section of this site and also on eBay. Can often pick up a set of wheels + reasonable tyres for a good price then sell on the wheels or get scrap value for them!

Shopping around for car insurance and driving in a more economical fashion may help towards affording better tyres. The Barums are good value for normal driving- I've had at least 6 sets on 2 cars.

Cheap tyres can feel ok in the dry but are generally dodgy in the wet. If you get a first hand recommendation for a particular budget tyre, then go for it.

There are budget tyres then are cheap tyres .... Barum are a good quality budget tyre which I used for years on my old Citroens with no problems at all.. I'm currently running Rovello on the front of my Octavia as the Barums in my size, 225/45/17, have fairly jumped in price to make them more of a midrange tyre price...

I bought a C5 with new budget tyres... "Triangle" .. Fitted to the rear and even a mildly damp road surface had the break away on a roundabout and that was from a standing start... Replaced with Barums after a week and no issues at all... I was convinced by a local tyre place a few years back to fit "Westlake" and I didn't get 2 miles up the road before going back and having them pulled off as they where leathal with no grip whatsoever and that was in the dry in the height of summer...