Tyre Pressure Monitor

Just ended up damaging a tyre.

Obviously the warning light has come on.

If I get a local tyre garage to replace the tyre, is there anything they or I need to be aware of?

I actually have no idea how a tyre pressure monitor works and don't know if there is a cable or something that has to be connected to the tyre, or if something has to be reset or calibrated after.

Pirelli p zero 225/35/19 88y

Thanks.

20180831_135641.jpg

Nothing fitted to the wheel or tyre for TPMS. It works on the Rotational Speed difference from tyres inflated at different pressures. Sensed using the ABS Wheel Speed Sensors.

You will need to re-calibrate using the on-board Menu's. Quite simple to do.

Edited by KevC_Derby
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, KevC_Derby said:

Nothing fitted to the wheel or tyre for TPMS. It works on the Rotational Speed difference from tyres inflated at different pressures. Sensed using the ABS Wheel Speed Sensors.

So if you changed, for example, from a summer to a winter set of wheels, it's just a case of swapping the wheels over, setting the correct pressures and then press the option on the menu?

You need to agree that the tyre pressures are correct by pressing the 'tyre 'picture and also you can press an adjacent  75mph speed warning button for winter tyres. I did that accidentally after setting tyre pressures.

If you forget to do it you will get a general "TPMS" warning (doesnt indicate any particular tyre - just says check tyre pressures).

when it triggers because of a real problem it should say, check left front tyre for example.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lway said:

Does anybody actually set the Winter Tyre speed alert as well ?

Previous owner had set this to 100kmh when I picked up the car, so i switched it off.

I use it to remind my wife to stay below 180kph..... :)

• Haha 2

Thanks guys.

I feel the tyres that came with this car are weak.

I lightly clipped a bollard - the wheel is undamaged and yet the tyre got easily punctured.

Should I be replacing it like for like, or is there a better tyre anyone can recommend?

1 hour ago, Gabbo said:

If you forget to do it you will get a general "TPMS" warning (doesnt indicate any particular tyre - just says check tyre pressures).

when it triggers because of a real problem it should say, check left front tyre for example.

+ Plus 1 for this

4 hours ago, KevC_Derby said:

Beep wrong. :D  Not rotation speed difference but resonance frequency of each wheel individually. 

Before it was rotational speed, but actual ones are much more sophisticated. 

• Like 1

& they can take upto 1hr of driving before they have got enough data on the particular RF as mentioned above....info from the VAG self study guides on it...

so even if you remove wheel & replace you still have to reset the TPMS..unless you replace the wheel exactly as it was on the hub & fit the same bolts back in the same holes....

2 hours ago, nidza said:

Beep wrong. :D  Not rotation speed difference but resonance frequency of each wheel individually. 

Before it was rotational speed, but actual ones are much more sophisticated. 

The OP isn’t very tech savvy so I kept it simple. 

Ever wonder why people don’t bother posting help when smart arse posters like you pop up.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, KevC_Derby said:

Ever wonder why people don’t bother posting help when smart arse posters like you pop up.

One person may feel that some comments are too technical but others may find that level of information very interesting (like me). I love the variety of this forum and the knowledge of its members.  I didn't feel the comment to be 'smart arsed'. Accuracy is important.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lway said:

Does anybody actually set the Winter Tyre speed alert as well ?

Previous owner had set this to 100kmh when I picked up the car, so i switched it off.

I have mine set for 70mph

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gabbo said:

Mine only gives me a general warning, possibly because the software is so out of date.

16 hours ago, KevC_Derby said:

You're right. 

Didn't have intention to confuse anybody, but to briefly mention the principle how the system actually works. My humble opinion is that you don't need to be tech savvy to understand such clever technical things, if explained properly. 

On 31/08/2018 at 16:53, Aston100 said:

Thanks guys.

I feel the tyres that came with this car are weak.

I lightly clipped a bollard - the wheel is undamaged and yet the tyre got easily punctured.

Should I be replacing it like for like, or is there a better tyre anyone can recommend?

Ideally you should have matching tyres on the same axle for grip and stability in emergency braking. Are they the original factory fit tyres?

Saying you lightly clipped a bollard and punctured is like saying you lightly clipped a metal screw and punctured. It doesn’t take much to wreck a tyre if you are not careful where you place the vehicle. If you repeat what you did with a different tyre, chances are you’d get the same result.  

This 'can take up to an hour before they get enough data.....' has been posted time after time.

I have yet to replace tyres or wheels or spares without resetting the TPMS from the setting before and it taking more than getting up to a NSL before a warning  light, sound or message gives a warning to the driver. Well other than when faulty.

But then that is just maybe how it is, you must believe a 'Manual'  or quoting from a manual.

Dealership employees must read their 'VAG self study' then use that to try and persuade customers / drivers it is normal that the TPMS will not reset, 

they fitted the tyre wrong, the wheel bolts wrong, locking bolt was at the top and is now at the bottom.  Barsteward nuts,  nobody painted an arrow to the correct hole...

or too heavy a valve cap is fitted on one wheel or the wrong type of air installed to their Skoda.

Winter Tyre Fitting Warnings are there available on the dash if you want to use because some Countries require a Sticker Fitted or a Warning.

It is handy as another Speed Warning if you use one in the UK for maybe 80 mph and another for ' Might lose your licence and 100 mph plus.

Reading Owners manuals can sometimes assist those that can not find functions cars have or how to adjust them or reset.

Helps explain systems as well and what they are telling you or why.  Regional Variations might apply....Also Model and Bands.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/447176-winter-tyres-speed-warning 

Edited by Offski

When SWMBO was driving recently, the TPMS triggered. The pressure in the tyre was not significantly different from the other side. Blew it slightly and checked the pressures over the next week. No deflation was noted.

The talk of resonant frequency is interesting.  A lot of the journey was done in lower gears than I normally use eg 3rd gear at 50mph for miles at a time. Could this pattern set up different and detectible resonances?

The tyre warning has not triggered again btw with either of us driving .

I have found TPMS reliable in the past.

Edited by gregoir

@gregoir, ECU probably creates a map through all the speeds, like a footprint of your tire. It doesn't need to intercompare between the rest of the tires, meaning in theory you can have all 4 tires from different dimensions and manufacturers and it should work fine. Any difference in tire pressure will affect the tire elasticity, resonance is different whether it is stiffer or firmer and it will notify after it detects such a difference.

I find also this system very reliable. It did react on a screw in the tire last summer, pointing this particular wheels and one winter when all 4 wheels gotten deflated due to severe temperature drop (from 20 degrees in plus to freezing minus in a just a couple of days). In other words, it is able to detect single tire issue, and the issue with all 4 tires simultaneously as well.