Upgrading Headunit to Columbus?

I have Amundsen MIB1 - Got Satnav but screen is small. Head unit in glove box has 2 x SD slots and a CD player. 

Everyone on this thread seems to to be getting bigger and better screens lol. 

I’d like to know what my choices are please and a rough cost to upgrade along with how much work is involved 

Many thanks 

1 hour ago, Upthepool said:

I have Amundsen MIB1 - Got Satnav but screen is small. Head unit in glove box has 2 x SD slots and a CD player. 

Everyone on this thread seems to to be getting bigger and better screens lol. 

I’d like to know what my choices are please and a rough cost to upgrade along with how much work is involved 

Many thanks 

Plenty of choice

mine was

MIB2 amundsen HU £150 + gps sharkfin. 
8" flat screen £200

CP Removal £50
HU coding £180

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Greetings from Hungary! :)

I'd like to ask for a little help. One of my friends bought an Octavia MK3 (MY2014), from Germany. He loves the car, the only problem is for him that he doesn't speak english, german, or any other languages. On his car there's no option for hungarian language, but we seen other Octavia MK3's that has. The other with language has a MIB2 system.

Can anyone help with this problem? How can we solve? Change Head unit? As far as we know, it has MIB1 Amundsen.

The parts numbers are:

head unit: 5E0 035 874A   (says MIB_Std)

display: 5E0 919 605D

If we change the HU to MIB2 unit, it can have language? Or how can we decide wether it has or not?

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks... Seems the best place to ask this. 

I have a Mib2 Amundsen unit (6.5" pre fl) %. I have been offered a face-lift Bolero screen quite cheaply ( 5E0919605N...8 inch I think?). Is there any differences between 5E0919605M (Amundsen FL) and 5E0919605N (Bolero FL) other then the Nav button being replaced with a setup button? Would I be able to install the Bolero and just have the setup button activate Nav instead? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/09/2018 at 11:32, SashaGrace said:

That’s the Columbus FL screen. SmartLink requires a USB plug in which on the Octy would mean a visible cable but I have rerouted the cable to the centre console so it cannot be seen :)

Resurrecting an old topic, but... Can i retrofit a FL 9.2" screen (5E0919606D) in place of my pre-FL Amundson MIB2?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

Not all MIB2 screens, you can only use the 9.2 inch Columbus screen on a MIB2.5 Columbus, if you want to keep the MIB2 Amundsen you will need a MIB2.5 Amundsen 8 inch screen 5E0919605M.

My bad. All other mib2 screens ok?

1 hour ago, pug_leg said:

Forgot to ask, am I right in thinking there's no need for any coding if I'm just swapping screens?

Yep. No coding needed for screen swaps.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have an 2015 Octavia RS with 8" display and head unit (5E0035043D) with 2 sd and a cd/dvd, and a USB connector.

Since i dont have smartlink i would like to upgrade to that, can i just replace the headunit or do i have to replace the screen to?
I'm happy with the screen so i don't need to replace it.

Is 5Q0035864C or 5Q0035864B the unit i should go for?

And i have sw 0370 on it, what fw should i update to?
And where to get it?

That part number matches a MIB1 Columbus so you should really go MIB2 Columbus for the best fit. You can use a 5Q0035874A (or 864 if you have no DAB) but it’s not as nice as a Columbus if you can get one of those. 3V0035xxx, various part numbers work and you can keep your existing screen.

21 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

That part number matches a MIB1 Columbus so you should really go MIB2 Columbus for the best fit. You can use a 5Q0035874A (or 864 if you have no DAB) but it’s not as nice as a Columbus if you can get one of those. 3V0035xxx, various part numbers work and you can keep your existing screen.

Thanx!

Do i need to code anything or just plug & play?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but i'll try anyway.

My friend got an Golf R mk7 2016 with a pretty small screen (no navi) and is jealous of my screen :D
I know that there is an bigger screen that you got with navi in his car, is it possible to upgrade his screen or do he need to replace the head unit to?
And there is a really nice fl screen that comes in golf mk7.5, possible to upgrade to that?

55 minutes ago, Obalaan said:

No. Mib1 has to be kept together I.e cannot be upgraded with screen only. If you want mib1 with bigger screen you must go Columbus but with the work involved you may aswell go for mib2 upgrade and get the whole system with smart link etc.

16 hours ago, Obalaan said:

Thanx!

Do i need to code anything or just plug & play?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but i'll try anyway.

My friend got an Golf R mk7 2016 with a pretty small screen (no navi) and is jealous of my screen :D
I know that there is an bigger screen that you got with navi in his car, is it possible to upgrade his screen or do he need to replace the head unit to?
And there is a really nice fl screen that comes in golf mk7.5, possible to upgrade to that?

It’s not plug and play, no MIB swap is, you will require CP removal and feature reactivation.

It depends what radio the Golf has. If this is a MIB2 then yes, the 8 inch Discover Pro PFL screen is a plug and play swap or the 8 inch Composition Media FL screen can also be put in with the new dash trim etc. Part numbers 5G0919606 and 5G6919605A (or B with nav button but the nav won’t work) respectively.

The 8 inch Amundsen FL screen will display an image with a MIB1 Columbus but a lot of the buttons won’t work so it’s not compatible as a retrofit.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Obalaan said:

Can i use the Golf 2018 headunit in the skoda? (3Q0035824C)

That’s a MIB2.5, you can rebrand the the Columbus but the Amundsen equivalent is hard as the Skoda units have no CD player and rework cost is high, it’s not worth it.

• Like 1