I'm getting a custom cat back exhaust for my RS 230

Hey all

I'm getting a custom exhaust fitted in a few weeks on my RS 230, sportscat but I'm going to remove the OEM tips and go for something like in these pics. 

I'm leaning towards a quad tipped exhaust, I like the white and green car style, what do people think. 

Cheers 

FB_IMG_1537809242917.jpg

DSCF1597.jpg

17 minutes ago, ahenners said:

4 outlets is a bit OTT for these I think. Certain cars pull it off well i.e. M3, the VRS not so much. But hey life would be boring if we all liked the same things! :)

Yeah I am still uncertain.... The white cars tips are a bit bigger than the green ones, but I think black will be best to blend with the diffuser... 

Yeah, I'd be more tempted to keep either the original tips or have tips similar to those of the grey car.

If you start putting 4 pipes, it can start to make your car look like a halfords special.

I'm always one for the subtle tweaks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tunedude said:

Yeah, I'd be more tempted to keep either the original tips or have tips similar to those of the grey car.

If you start putting 4 pipes, it can start to make your car look like a halfords special.

I'm always one for the subtle tweaks.

Problem with the tips on the grey car is you can still tell they are fake as the actual exhaust pipe is visible, I want to have a wielded pipe etc... Also considering a single oval tip on each side but larger, similar to an Audi RS3. 

1 minute ago, colmsmyth said:

Problem with the tips on the grey car is you can still tell they are fake as the actual exhaust pipe is visible, I want to have a wielded pipe etc... Also considering a single oval tip on each side but larger, similar to an Audi RS3. 

Oh I thought it was a welded on tip. Yeah having the real exhaust pipe visible looks tacky.

That's something I'd be wanting to get on my car, as I want the fumes coming out the back of the car. 

for once I think they look ok, don't other VAG hot hatches have similar 4 tips? Most of the people running the Mk III '4 tippers' will probably have them mapped to at least Stage 1,  so they shouldn't be all show and no go. 

14 hours ago, Redboy said:

for once I think they look ok, don't other VAG hot hatches have similar 4 tips? Most of the people running the Mk III '4 tippers' will probably have them mapped to at least Stage 1,  so they shouldn't be all show and no go. 

Yeah some of the Golf's have the, I am not thinking of maybe just staying with the OEM tips, the black ones look way nicer than the chrome of the diesel ones anyway...this way I could retain the stock look but will have more more pleasing sound. Having said that my 230 sounds pretty sweet to start with 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

the shape of the diffuser cuts is odd and dictates the size and shape of the pipes. too big and it wont fit, too small and they look like pea shooters

Agreed....as is the case with the white car in my original pictures....

21 hours ago, colmsmyth said:

Yeah some of the Golf's have the, I am not thinking of maybe just staying with the OEM tips, the black ones look way nicer than the chrome of the diesel ones anyway...this way I could retain the stock look but will have more more pleasing sound. Having said that my 230 sounds pretty sweet to start with 

Thats just a cold start though?

i assume it doesn’t sound like that all the time?

1 hour ago, Tim1631 said:

Thats just a cold start though?

i assume it doesn’t sound like that all the time?

No this was actually after I parked up after about a 30 minute drive home....my engine is very raspy.....in fact yesterday I was for the first time able to produce at will, pops....3 in a row....unfortunately 'her in doors' came out doors upon hearing what sounded like gun shots and gave me a look :D

Sadly I have not been able to do this again, so need to try find a quite car park to practice a bit.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, colmsmyth said:

No this was actually after I parked up after about a 30 minute drive home....my engine is very raspy.....in fact yesterday I was for the first time able to produce at will, pops....3 in a row....unfortunately 'her in doors' came out doors upon hearing what sounded like gun shots and gave me a look :D

Sadly I have not been able to do this again, so need to try find a quite car park to practice a bit.

Ah brilliant. I had to change my exhaust as it was too quiet. I changed at the same time I changed the turbo to an IS38 so it sounds quite different 

Remember it's not the size of your bell-end that matters but the girth of your pipe. On a more serious note I was thinking of going down the quad pipe route but decided subtle was the way to go so 3" Milltek all the way from the downpipe to the sports cats giving a fruity sound but the original black exhaust tips which will give all those Merc, Audi and BMW 2.0Tdi that clog up the motorways no clue as to why that Octavia is pulling away so quickly. More fun that way than advertising like a Max Power/Halfords saturday morning MASH UP!:devil:

11 minutes ago, Tim1631 said:

Ah brilliant. I had to change my exhaust as it was too quiet. I changed at the same time I changed the turbo to an IS38 so it sounds quite different 

ohh an IS38...nice....any videos of how that sounds ?

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

Remember it's not the size of your bell-end that matters but the girth of your pipe. On a more serious note I was thinking of going down the quad pipe route but decided subtle was the way to go so 3" Milltek all the way from the downpipe to the sports cats giving a fruity sound but the original black exhaust tips which will give all those Merc, Audi and BMW 2.0Tdi that clog up the motorways no clue as to why that Octavia is pulling away so quickly. More fun that way than advertising like a Max Power/Halfords saturday morning MASH UP!:devil:

Hahaha....very true....I think i am not set on sticking with original OEM tips as they are black so look really well. The exhaust I am going for is a sports catback so around 200 cell I gather, not sure if I should remove the two back boxes or if that would just sound like noise....however I dont want to come away having only gotten a marginal noise increase.

Do you have any videos of how yours sounds ?