Condensation/Demisting problem

Highlander19

Hi anyone got a solution to demisting/ condensation issue,since colder weather in last couple of days it takes between 5 and 10 minutes to clear the windscreen of condensation.

Tried various settings AC on AC off etc but nothing seems to work;

All suggestions gratefully received.  

Sounds like you have a leak into the car somewhere for that amount of moisture to fog up the windows.
I have found the fastest way to clear the screen is to press the MAX screen demist button.

No leaks, car dry as a bone, pollen filter changed at service end of June, just checked it and it looks brand new. Mystery why it just started, will just have to persevere

and hope it sorts itself out. Thanks for your replies.

I found the fastest way to demist front windows and windscreen is;

A/C on full, set to maximum cold, open both front doors (or lower the front windows as much as you can depending on the weather conditions) and it should demist in around 30 seconds or so. 

Have you checked to make sure the recirculation button hasn't been inadvertently activated? 

Try using Autoglym Glass Polish to clean the windows. 

I use one of these in my car;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I3VKBJS/ref=asc_df_B00I3VKBJS56940048/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B00I3VKBJS&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310668454275&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9977711068673292865&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007363&hvtargid=pla-562204679962&th=1&psc=1

To make your own, stuff a clean sock with kitty litter and leave on dash. 

I agree with Urell: a/c on (mine's on all the time anyway) and press the Max button.  No other fiddling seems to make it any quicker IME.  (You certainly shouldn't need to open the windows (a) because there are air outlets at the rear of car anyway, and (b) doing so lets more moist air in.  The point of using the a/c is that it blows dry air over the screen to evaporate the condensed moisture.  The air doesn't have to be particularly hot for this to work.)

Of course, that won't be too effective if the a/c's got a problem...

Hello all,

i find that blasting the heating on last 5-10 mins before coming home and parking up the night before, this allows all the interior to become warm and therefore as dry as possible. That way there’s the least amount of moisture possible in the car overnight which can help in the morning. Did this whilst I was doing vehicle cold start development going down to -40C.

Also grease and dirt on windows will also create a misting effect so try to get them as clean as possible in the insides.

My last two Yeti's have both done this and in fact in really cold weather the condensation will freeze on the inside. The car is left outside all year round. I bought one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N1Q3IJ6/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

and it fixed the problem.

1 hour ago, Smokeyjoe said:

My last two Yeti's have both done this and in fact in really cold weather the condensation will freeze on the inside. The car is left outside all year round. I bought one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N1Q3IJ6/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

and it fixed the problem.

I bought one of those last year and they are effective BUT be aware that very fine dusty snow managed to get blown in around the door seals where it passes through them, since it leaves a small gap at the top and the bottom of the flap.

As a better alternative to the bag of kitty litter, those bags of silica gel. (I've located some 50g versions,rather than the weedy 1g bags) that come with electrical equipment are great for sucking up moisture 

Every VAG car I've owned has suffered with this problem and I certainly agree with the advice given above - keeping the insides of the windows scrupulously clean definitely seems to help.

Both my cars have a moisture absorber under the front seats and another (smaller) one in the boot / on the rear parcel shelf.

A combination of moisture absorbers and clean windows has kept this issue at bay, but I suspect the colder mornings will see a degree of condensation, as expired air is saturated with water.

I had the same problem with an Octavia mk2, no leaks or AC draining in the cab. Fitted rubber mats etc but still loads of condensation which would take ages to clear. Worst was when it freezes on the inside and you get ice inside the windscreen.  

Best way of controlling it was to get 2x 1kg dehumidifier bags to keep in the car but you need to dry them out every week otherwise they stop absorbing the moisture. 

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/interior-car-accessories/air-dry-classic-car-dehumidifier

Edited by CWARD

If you use air con regularly in the colder months you can get this issue as it leaves behind lots of moisture on the evaporator after use which then starts the vicious circle of needing the air con to dry the car and get rid of the moisture

I can go all the way through winter without having a hint of condensation in the car. Only time I might use it if its particularly damp and I have several people in the car.

9 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

Every VAG car I've owned has suffered with this problem and I certainly agree with the advice given above - keeping the insides of the windows scrupulously clean definitely seems to help.

Both my cars have a moisture absorber under the front seats and another (smaller) one in the boot / on the rear parcel shelf.

A combination of moisture absorbers and clean windows has kept this issue at bay, but I suspect the colder mornings will see a degree of condensation, as expired air is saturated with water.

These are the bigger moisture absorbing bags (typically placed under the front passenger seat).

IMG_20181119_080243.jpg

I have no condensation issues with my MK2 Octavia and leave AC enabled with the system in 'auto' all year round.

If there is excess condensation then surely there has to be water sitting somewhere, especially if droplets are forming or the inside of the car needs de-icing.

• Like 2

Just now, langers2k said:

I have no condensation issues with my MK2 Octavia and leave AC enabled with the system in 'auto' all year round.

If there is excess condensation then surely there has to be water sitting somewhere, especially if droplets are forming or the inside of the car needs de-icing.

Mine was all dry but acted like a headlamp that would clear once warned up but then fog up again when not in use. I suspected the door seals letting moist air through but Skoda said there was nothing wrong with them. 

Suppose I'm fortunate in that my car is kept in the garage. I have a small de-humidifier in there which I leave running most of the time. I leave the windows open when the car is in the garage and don't have this problem.

I had to have my heated windscreen replaced earlier this year, and was surprised how thin the glass was. Perhaps modern glass gives less "insulation" then before. Certainly odd things bouncing off the windscreen seem particularly loud, even odd drips off overhead cables.