VAG alternatives

Defenderben

isn't there a topic like this already?...   personally if it is based on similar size and pricing to our Skodas - Hyundai / Kia or , more recently, since I purchased not long ago - Suzuki.  And possibly DS or Nissan.  If moving up Mercedes or Volvo.

Definitely NOT Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot, Renault, Citroen, BMW, Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, or Ssangyong, 

• Like 1

From my perspective 

an auto with a fluid coupling rather than the more complex direct drive clutch systems to start with.

Peugeot/Citroen don’t get much good press in Britain it seems which is a pity.

Their components are an amalgam of Japanese auto (Aisin) HVAC (Denso) German instruments (Continental) and the remarkably efficient JV engine (Prince)........I’m an economy driver these days and the big Picasso is still averaging 5.2/100 on an ethanol blend.

The best family car Australia didn’t know about.

The Italians?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryeman said:

From my perspective 

an auto with a fluid coupling rather than the more complex direct drive clutch systems to start with.

Peugeot/Citroen don’t get much good press in Britain it seems which is a pity.

Their components are an amalgam of Japanese auto (Aisin) HVAC (Denso) German instruments (Continental) and the remarkably efficient JV engine (Prince)........I’m an economy driver these days and the big Picasso is still averaging 5.2/100 on an ethanol blend.

The best family car Australia didn’t know about.

The Italians?.

A 'traditional' auto is a much more complicated system than any DCT, especially the modern 8, 9, 10-speed ones. And they're far from fault free (ask anyone who's had a VAG car with the 01M transmission). Apart from the mechatronics unit, a DCT is basically the same as a conventional manual in terms of complexity.

10 minutes ago, chimaera said:

A 'traditional' auto is a much more complicated system than any DCT, especially the modern 8, 9, 10-speed ones. And they're far from fault free (ask anyone who's had a VAG car with the 01M transmission). Apart from the mechatronics unit, a DCT is basically the same as a conventional manual in terms of complexity.

Toyota doesn’t seem to agree.  

Hyundai/Kia are basically German designs so that’s a bit different.

I like my BM it's been a good motor. If I was changing I'm not sure which way I'd go. In contrast to the whole point of the thread I really like the current Superb. I've never driven one but it would be on my list to try.

I'm not sure what the alternatives would be. Audi doesn't tickle me now. I see the merits of the Korean cars but again not enough to make me want one. I really like the new Focus, have always liked Jags but beyond that older stuff floats my boat more now. I get more of a kick from my Mini Clubman than the BM becasue it delivers so much more than I expected. I'd really like a JCW version of the old one same as I have (new one is too big has lost it's character).

In the future I suspect I'll have a competent but dull daily driver and something more exotic in the garage for the weekend. And the daily driver will just be whatever is good enough.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

I would be looking at Kia. I run my late father's 2005 reg Picanto as a family runabout. It has not had a bulb replaced in all of its life and is so reliable. Paint is good and no fade on the red. Although prices have risen to reflect the brands popularity they are worth consideration.

• Like 1

If I were changing, I'd probably go back to Honda. My first car was a Civic and it was a lot of fun and held together well.

Like @Aspman I'm leaning towards something dull but reliable for the future with a toy car to keep me happy at weekends. If I had the spare cash right now, I'd be looking at a Porsche 944, possibly with an Audi 7A engine swapped in.

Merc/Older toyotas/honda.

Impressed with the older merc I've seen (like pre 55).

Older honda - the older bubblish avensis, but not the even older one!

Honda - eh.. the NA engines of old have been reliable, so they're not in my naughty list :)

Edited by bspman

Switched To a 2018 Honda Civic from a 2015 Seat Leon last week, so far the quality is better as I have no rattles (had a niggly intermittent rattle on my leon) and it seams a far better car than my previous switch away in 2011 from Skoda to Kia which lasted 2 and a bit years in a first generation Cee'd, which ultimately didn't live up to my expectations though nothing went wrong with it.

The reasons I switched this time was mostly that I needed a change from a Seat Leon  and didn't think that one of the other compact class offerings in the VAG group would be a big enough change, I did briefly consider a Hyundai Kona but discounted it as after driving it it felt similar quality inside to the Cee'd of 2011 and also looked too a few other cars including a BMW active tourer (218d M sport), so far the Civic fits my need for a compact hatchback.... 

1 hour ago, bspman said:

Older honda - the older bubblish avensis, but not the even older one!

Started the twelve pubs early? ;)

12 hours ago, Offski said:

Then a 'Mazda' rather than a 'Ford'.

Oooh Mazda...   Forgot them and they do do some nice stuff...   The only thing I'm not keen on with them is the naturally aspirated engines...

My next car is either going to be

Mazda 6 sport back

Octy vrs

Superb

An outlier option is a 3 or 5 series but they would have to be estates.. i need the accessibilty of the liftback for work.. and im not sure i want an estate...

An Alpha 159 has always appealed, but..... i need to know the car will get to work esp if theres an emergency job comes up. And again, the boot...

Wont be touching anything GM again after the current inshi7nia goes away, stuck with it for another while though...

42 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Oooh Mazda...   Forgot them and they do do some nice stuff...   The only thing I'm not keen on with them is the naturally aspirated engines...

I thought some of the Mazda Petrol NA engines were good, even economical? I've been investigating.

Still within the VAG group - there are some stonking deals around on the VW Passat.

I had been looking at the Skoda Karoq but the price is too high for me (well in the 20k's )

11 hours ago, skomaz said:

I also have a Mazda CX-3 as a general runaround. Once you get used to there not being a turbo and get the revs up around 3k it really is quite quick. What impresses me most is that during normal driving the revs are so low (I have an auto) I can't believe the engine will ever wear out as theres just no stress.

Interesting replies; I’m currently in a MK7 Golf R but always looking outside of VAG for inspiration but alas it is a bit lacking.

Gone off BMW due to lots of reports of rattles (no good for my ocd) etc and fairly poor attitudes at the dealers, which the later, I have had first hand: my local dealership always seem to have an attitude of they are doing me a favour and tend to look down their noses at me.

Quite fancy (fantasy world) a Porsche Caymen around 2010-13 era preferably the 2.9 engine with manual gearbox, stick it in the garage for weekend as I have a van and swmbo has a Citigo for daily operations, I know it is still technically a subsidiary of VAG but nothing much floats my boat atm.

Still looking for inspiration :)

Edited by Defenderben
  • Like 1

On 07/12/2018 at 11:26, Defenderben said:

Gone off BMW due to lots of reports of rattles (no good for my ocd) etc and fairly poor attitudes at the dealers, which the later, I have had first hand: my local dealership always seem to have an attitude of they are doing me a favour and tend to look down their noses at me.

Might be your luck but mine has no rattles and it's gone 3yr old now. Dealers, hmmm, no better than anyone else.

• Like 1

I got rid of my Superb due to being crashed into 3 times in a year..driving 14 years and 4 accidents...1 in my MK1 Superb, then 3 in the MK2! Decided it was jinxed! 

I went and bought my dream saloon, a 2010 Jag XJ. Sure, it's been a money pit but it's a hoot to drive and is lovely to look at. Come change time I think it will probably be another one or a Tesla Model S if prices allow.