1.5 TSI or 2.0 TSI?

Hi all, this is my first post in this forum.

My current car is an Octavia Estate 1.4 TSI (lease ending in May), and I had my mind made up for a 1.5 TSI Octavia - until I read about the "kangarooing". I am now leaning towards buying a 2.0 TSI 190 instead; this is about £850 more (current promotion) so not too bad. The 2.0 would of course be more expensive to run, so trying to decide what's the best choice. What would you do, given the 1.5 problems (that may or may not be solved soon)?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

On the basis of the suspension system alone, it’s got to be a 2.0. Independent rear suspension is worth £850 more IMO.

Agreed, was just about to write the same but you beat me to it. 

• Like 2

I think if you want 2.0 tsi you have to have dsg unless you get a vRS, in which case you could still consider a 1.5 but with dsg which don’t seem to have the kangaroo issues.

Unless you get different choices in Sweden ?

Edited by classic
  • Confused 1

I would go for 2.0 but this 2.0 is a new 2.0 with modifications so also not tested in real life engine like 1.5, but I don't know details what mechanically did they changed from old 2.0tsi to comply with EU6 emissions. 

16 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

On the basis of the suspension system alone, it’s got to be a 2.0. Independent rear suspension is worth £850 more IMO.

True that, I forgot about the different suspension - thanks.

10 hours ago, FrankLK said:

I would go for 2.0 but this 2.0 is a new 2.0 with modifications so also not tested in real life engine like 1.5, but I don't know details what mechanically did they changed from old 2.0tsi to comply with EU6 emissions. 

Correct, I think however that this 2.0 engine (Miller Cycle) has been used for some time now in VW Arteon, Audi A4, Seat Ateca etc. Not sure how/if the WLTP adaptions have affected the drivability of the engine, though.

20 minutes ago, Anders74 said:

Correct, I think however that this 2.0 engine (Miller Cycle) has been used for some time now in VW Arteon, Audi A4, Seat Ateca etc. Not sure how/if the WLTP adaptions have affected the drivability of the engine, though.

The 190 hasn’t even begun the WLTP testing yet!

Scheduled for the next few weeks though. ;)

1 hour ago, john999boy said:

The 190 hasn’t even begun the WLTP testing yet!

Scheduled for the next few weeks though. ;)

Hmm, hopefully it will not be another kangaroo...

I'll need to make a decision soon since the current promotion ends in 5 days. Will consult my crystal ball ;) 

19 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Is that right that the 2.0 TSi now has independent rear suspension? Which trim levels?

4 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Always used to 151bhp upwards got IRS everything below that got the rear torture suspension 

Ah, the torture beam...the very reason I baled out of an Octavia and switched to a Superb.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MorrisOx said:

Ah, the torture beam...the very reason I baled out of an Octavia and switched to a Superb.

Oh yeah, I had 3-1/2 years of it hence, even when I got IRS I spec'ed the DCC too

Smooth ain't the word for it, its like riding one of Freddie Mercury's "fat bottomed girls" that make the rocking world go around

Edited by themanwithnoaim
  • Like 1

The 2.0 tsi is replacement for 1.8tsi so it should have same rear suspension but I can't find confirmation in specs on net. 

My biggest disappointment with octavia is suspension even with rear multilink so I am concerning upgrading it with kw street comfort coilovers but they are pricy... For now on hold, don't option for OEM sport suspension because it is probably even worse. 

Now I am confused. I have just been told by a main dealer that the suspension on the 1.5 and the 2.0 as standard is the same. The DCC appears from the configurator to be an £870 option on either. 

Correct, trim level doesn't matter. Dealers are not qualified to answer this question, ask for detailed specs. 

4x4 is always multilink so i guess 2wd option of 190hp should be same. 

2 hours ago, ian_feel_keepin_it_reel said:

Why does everyone hate rear torsion beams? My 1.5TSI is quiet and comfortable. 

Everything’s relative, Ian - for most of us, judgements about refinement are based on what we drove before. I had a Volvo V70 before my Octy and had been spoiled by independent suspension all round and the most comfortable seats I’ve ever been in.

That said, the torsion beam is a compromised design and the Octavia’s position in the VW Group hierarchy means its shortcomings are a bit more noticeable than they could be. Because the torsion beam is a single steel beam which runs right across the back of the car it transmits noise and vibration more than independent suspension does. And because the Octavia’s bushing and sound deadening is of a lower grade than you’ll find on a Golf or A3, for example, you feel/hear it more.

The Octy is a fine car in many ways, but it is defined by Skoda’s status as a value brand - better than you’d expect if you've never driven one before, not as good as you might like if you’ve had something better.

• Like 1