Unmarked VRSs

Saw an interesting sight this am. I stopped mid-roundabout to allow a white VRS saloon with a meteor grey VRS estate in trail, sirens and blue lights flashing behind the grilles, cross unimpeded.  Once over the roundabout onto a 2 mile straight, they slowed, sirens and lights off and waited patiently in the queue at the next roundabout with me behind them and then pulled into a McDonalds. Looking at the number of passengers, I reckon they were on a driver training course and going for a brew and a debrief....unless there was a special deal at Maccies. :D Very glad I hadn't come up behind them up  a bit earlier and taken up the 'challenge' on the fast A roads near us. Not sure where they came from, so if they were reasonably local and you fancy getting points on your licence in Lincs/Cambs/Notts just speed past a white 15 reg saloon or meteor grey 18 reg estate. 

There are several in Surrey. 

It's quite funny but if I wear my hi vis vest and come up behind another vehicle doing a bit more than the limit, they slow down. 

Now does anyone do flashing blue leds, I might be able to get home a bit quicker! :devil:

Edited by TheWanderer

8 hours ago, Redboy said:

Saw an interesting sight this am. I stopped mid-roundabout to allow a white VRS saloon with a meteor grey VRS estate in trail, sirens and blue lights flashing behind the grilles, cross unimpeded.  Once over the roundabout onto a 2 mile straight, they slowed, sirens and lights off and waited patiently in the queue at the next roundabout with me behind them and then pulled into a McDonalds. Looking at the number of passengers, I reckon they were on a driver training course and going for a brew and a debrief....unless there was a special deal at Maccies. :D Very glad I hadn't come up behind them up  a bit earlier and taken up the 'challenge' on the fast A roads near us. Not sure where they came from, so if they were reasonably local and you fancy getting points on your licence in Lincs/Cambs/Notts just speed past a white 15 reg saloon or meteor grey 18 reg estate. 

Funnily enough Maccies are doing a free cheeseburger offer all week!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

There are several in Surrey. 

It's quite funny but if I wear my hi vis vest and come up behind another vehicle doing a bit more than the limit, they slow down. 

Now does anyone do flashing blue leds, I might be able to get home a bit quicker! :devil:

There are 7 actually Mrs TMWNA works for SP

She can find their current locations also from her laptop but, gets questioned the once she did by mistake.

Edited by themanwithnoaim

53 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

There are 7 actually Mrs TMWNA works for SP

She can find their current locations also from her laptop but, gets questioned the once she did by mistake.

I rarely take the Michael now on the motorways (most journey are M3 M25) but obviously I do spot the odd vRS on my travels and kinda assume unmarked at least initially and esp if its loitering below the limit

58 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

I rarely take the Michael now on the motorways (most journey are M3 M25) but obviously I do spot the odd vRS on my travels and kinda assume unmarked at least initially and esp if its loitering below the limit

Very few forces allow single occupancy of traffic cars, black turtle neck tops are a giveaway too.

3 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Very few forces allow single occupancy of traffic cars, black turtle neck tops are a giveaway too.

You obviously haven't been to Northumbria Police area, the only chance we are double crewed is nightshift, unless you are referring to the ARV's.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WesternDuke said:

I have seen three different unmarked Mk3s on the M5/A38 in Somerset and Devon.

It that why people often slow down to "not a lot more than 70mph" when passing me on the M5 between Taunton and Exeter?

14 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

It that why people often slow down to "not a lot more than 70mph" when passing me on the M5 between Taunton and Exeter?

Having seen several cars pulled on that stretch of the M5, I think it's more likely that they're being careful. With the new accurate cameras coming on line, I note the recent discussion of  reducing or removing any ACPO guideline 'allowance' for exceeding the stated speed levels. As most speedos seem to overread slightly it seems a reasonable proposition. 

6 hours ago, DaveLees said:

You obviously haven't been to Northumbria Police area, the only chance we are double crewed is nightshift, unless you are referring to the ARV's.

No don't get that far north Dave but, I'll take your comments on board should I'd ever.

Leicestershire Police have a white 67 plate Vrs hatch pulled me over in July for overtaking a lorry on a single lane carriageway and let me off with a "watch your speed sir" warning. Unmarked just the hidden blues in the usual places. Been more careful since.:sweat:

19 hours ago, DaveLees said:

Rarely ever see a traffic unit in and around Northumbria or Durham Police jurisdiction, with more than one officer. 

Despite doing absolutely nothing wrong, being fully legal, I've always been a little nervous around the police. Never really understood why.

Theres a grey PreFL O3 VRS still operating around the M5 in Cheltenham and Birmingham has a fleet of plain VRS Wagons as dog units - they have a small ventilation box on the roof over the load space on those and sit quite low at the rear.

On 22/01/2019 at 17:23, PetrolDave said:

I've got caught near there twice in the past (a few years back!)

Around the M4/M5 junction, either side. Once with an unmarked car and once with a fully liveried police Volvo 850! In my defence, I was driving back from a lad's golf weekend and my 'wingman' was meant to be keeping an eye out for coppers but instead fell asleep! :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zeddicus said:

I've got caught near there twice in the past (a few years back!)

Around the M4/M5 junction, either side. Once with an unmarked car and once with a fully liveried police Volvo 850! In my defence, I was driving back from a lad's golf weekend and my 'wingman' was meant to be keeping an eye out for coppers but instead fell asleep! :D

I've touched 80-85 between J 23 & 26 on a couple of occasions, but not seen anyone, generally I sit around 70-75 mph on a dual carriageway or motorway and don't get bothered by mobiles or cop shops. I know I got passed by a clown in a BMW M class, like I was standing still at 75 and a Clio was hard on his tail, I just thought they were nuts!

I've followed one across the Hog's Back at 70 and never got a thing said. Nearly had a ticket going across there on a couple of occasions recently I was doing 65 in a 60, but if the speedo is showing a little above what it actually is, then I guess it was probably 62, which makes me wonder if sometimes there are "monthly targets" to hit, so the force gets financial bonuses. 

65 in a 60 is never going to see you stopped anyway, enforcement would start at 68. Indicated 65, you'll be doing around 62.

Sitting at an indicated 80 on a motorway will also be fine, with enforcement beginning at 79, you're sitting below that.

As for the quota's and the like, catching speeding drivers is like shooting fish in a barrel.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stoofa said:

65 in a 60 is never going to see you stopped anyway, enforcement would start at 68. Indicated 65, you'll be doing around 62.

Sitting at an indicated 80 on a motorway will also be fine, with enforcement beginning at 79, you're sitting below that.

As for the quota's and the like, catching speeding drivers is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Agree currently 1 million willing victims (volunteers) throwing themselves at fixed cameras/variable speed cameras and mobile camera vans so plod don't have to try too hard to hit quota's.:cool:

• Like 2

I think Cleveland Po Po still have at least one Quartz grey vRS hatch.  As my neighbour often crews it.  First I knew of it was watching him drive down the road, at speed with sirens and lights flashing.  

I used to have a lot of people slowing for me in my Black Magic mk2 vRS on the A19 as we got ours around the same time the police starting replacing their Volvo fleet with Skoda's.  To a lesser extent it still happens with my Sportline...the usual protagonists being 320D drivers with obligatory M sport badges.  I know one of the cops from Police Interceptors has a Dragon Skin Green Sportline but that's his personal car. 

Edited by penguin17

Got a mate who's up in MK he tells me there are usually sighting of vRS' being exercised on the H and V 70limit roads of the Keynes every now and again.. however he thinks its more likely connections to VW Group/Skoda UK headquarters being near where he lives near their offices :)