Frost cover

Sick of the fact I never specified a heated front screen, hate looking like a peasant in the morning with de-icer and the lack of an ice scraper as it’s stuck in the fuel cap...

Any recommendations for a window cover, to prevent the frost, one that fits the Octavia estate well. Photos?

I’m not after a whole car cover, cba faffing the night before :giggle:

Thanks 

Edited by courty
SPaG

Im gutted too, as I did spec winter pack as part of the build but didn't receive the heated screen. Bit of faffing between dealer and Skoda and 500 quid back in my pocket but still really wanted the screen.

10 minutes ago, DEZMONDE said:

Im gutted too, as I did spec winter pack as part of the build but didn't receive the heated screen. Bit of faffing between dealer and Skoda and 500 quid back in my pocket but still really wanted the screen.

Can it be retrofitted? 500 quid would go a long way to paying for the bits.

At the time they were adamant that it could not be rectified or retro fitted so offered the money.

I took it as it wasn't worth the hassle.

And the cheap screen cover has sufficed thus far

Edited by DEZMONDE

I use something like this (not Octavia but surprised if it didn’t fit). 

iFJF Universal Front Windscreen Cover Magnetic Anti Sun Snow Dust Rain Frost All Weathers Protect from Sun Snow Dust Rain Frost in All Weather https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077HPWH9C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eGpsCb25THHTM

Cheap and easy and quick. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Night Before De-icer from Halfords. Makes just wiping the ice or hoar frost off very easy. 

Not Car Plan Pre-Icer though, i bought that this year and it is not as good IMO.

I find using de-icers always make the inside of my windscreen mist up more. It might just be a problem with the aerosol variants, as the gas exspands it cools down (which is why cans get cold when you spray them for longer), so that cooling gas actually makes your windscreen colder and more condensation forms.

• Confused 1

@ian_feel_keepin_it_reel   It is Pre-Deicer, acting as a barrier to ice sticking to the glass. You apply before the air temp gets near 0*oC.

(Just like salting roads and paths, get it down before the temperature drops, in the UK that is usually at about 6*oC.)

So Pre-Deicer Works just fine. 

& on Door Seals as well if you are not using 'Silicone Spray' or some other treatment on them.

-4*oC this morning, the frost wipes off the glass with the edge of my glove. That is if it forms on the glass..

DSCN4851.JPG

DSCN4854.JPG

Edited by Skoffski

Keep an eye out in Lidl, cheap and cheerful. Otherwise Ebay, Amazon do them. 

Magnetic ones are OK as long as it doesn't get windy then it'll blow away or you live on an estate where the kids will more than likely nick it

if you read newspapers just park them across the windscreen and put a broadsheet under them. 

Forgot Aldi do them for less than £3.

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Like 1

Used a non aerosol deicer for the first time this winter. And like the aerosol type, the inside of the windscreen misted up even more! From now on back to using warm tap water.

The issue with Warm Tap Water and Skoda is the Elephant in the room.

If the Air and ground temps are staying at or below freezing for a few days, or it is very cold when putting on Warm Water, 

it is going down window seals and into door locks and freezing, into the Air Intake that can cause Windscreen Misting.

If you dio not open doors like say the passenger door the Freezing H20 can gather each day and in that door can be Ice. 

Day and night of freezing weather and more warm water adding to the freezing inside doors and door seals.

Obviously if the day gets milder and the water is no longer frozen and gets out the doors when opened good and well.

Warm Water freezes harder than cold water.   Not a internet myth.

You need a pre-heater. ;) 

FCCD1A43-6471-40D8-87D7-383004603C98.thumb.jpeg.6d0518fbec2824ad3cf468d5344b4f0e.jpeg

Worked brilliantly this morning. Nice and warm inside the car, only needed to spend 30s feeding the cable into the car through the window.

Even better if you drive an EV (the red car pictured), it has purpose designed exterior socket on the car used for charging. Just set a timer to pre-heat or use the smartphone app, then only take 5s to unplug the car.

I used to have a windscreen cover. But removing it takes a minute or so, then I have to deal with this drenched cover. Whole car cover is even more difficult to put away, and more water when it is in the warm boot.

Any cover that requires you to use door to secure also means rain gets inside. If it rains in the evening followed by freezing temperature, the cover will freeze to the windscreen.

I also tried lukewarm water method, but as pointed out, it leaves a puddle of ice on the driveway, sometimes doesn't unfreeze for days.

• Like 1

Got 2 windscreen covers from Lidl for our cars. £2.99 each. 

(It helps if you like Penguins :biggrin:).

Yesterday my car was frozen solid, took the screen cover off and drove away.

Rained on it last night, froze to ice, black ice everywhere but it came straight off, no water in car it’s so thin there’s no issue with door seals.

Can’t believe I’ve spent decades without one !

68FE0072-DE0E-42DE-A1C8-CBF950637BF7.thumb.jpeg.f24289bd3724e5c5fc3c5a375552ebfc.jpegADB6144E-1B3A-4B37-A772-DB128E14E11C.thumb.jpeg.c46bb41cbaf80a6a17e6130379b148e8.jpeg

Edited by classic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Skoffski said:

The issue with Warm Tap Water and Skoda is the Elephant in the room.

If the Air and ground temps are staying at or below freezing for a few days, or it is very cold when putting on Warm Water, 

it is going down window seals and into door locks and freezing, into the Air Intake that can cause Windscreen Misting.

If you dio not open doors like say the passenger door the Freezing H20 can gather each day and in that door can be Ice. 

Day and night of freezing weather and more warm water adding to the freezing inside doors and door seals.

Obviously if the day gets milder and the water is no longer frozen and gets out the doors when opened good and well.

Warm Water freezes harder than cold water.   Not a internet myth.

I agree all of your points are valid by themselves.

But deicing , driving away and warming everything up is a different scenario for my purposes. Under most cirumstances in UK climate. I've experienced a lot of weather when driving  since 1968.

• Like 1

Just maybe not in some of the Post Code areas last week and this that there have been Cold Weather Payments triggered in because of 7 consecutive days of 0*oC or forecast as such.

In the past winters some areas have had 5,6 or 7 weeks triggered between November and March and some consecutive weeks where the air temps or ground temps are at 0*oC or below.

Cold Weather Payments kick in for thousands in UK - find out if you're one of them - Mirror Online.mhtml

Edited by Skoffski

I like the magnetic ones - quick and easy. The one I have has a pouch attached to it so it just folds (well, screws up) in there and then I dump it back in the porch. Never had it freeze to the screen really when wet. Saves scraping, or water (my fall back method when I forget to put it on), or chemical sprays. Much less fuss than all of that. 

• Like 1

Machine Mart do a cover that covers the top of the car, so all glass is covered. Uses four simple hooks one  on each well to retain so takes half a min to install/uninstall and bingo! You are off to work nice and early! (New there was gonna be some sort of drawback). The are around a tenner and they do different sizes so just pick the appropriate size for your jam-jar!

Or if you want to super save, use that old credit card you never spend anything on. You won't even need to pay out for a scraper,  you tight wad! (This comment is not aimed at anyone in particular, just anyone who wants to save dosh to the Nth degree).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have the Lidl one and been using it for a few years, it is the perfect size, made to measure.

In France they have a single polar bear on it and cost 99cts when they are on the centre aisles.

Rain x from halfords, follow directions on how to apply. Very good, works i suppose just like the pre icer, but with added benefits of any rain beading off your screen when not freezing temps.

And also Bubble wrap that also works very well.